The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Interesting situation in La Liga where Real Madrid were awarded a penalty but the ref was told to go look at a previous situation and ended up awarding a penalty to Sevilla instead :D 

Not seen the clips but I'm sure Barca and Atletico Madrid are delighted regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Big Sam was moaning they lost because of VAR... I didn’t watch the match, so can someone kindly refer me to what he is on about?

Goal dissalowed  because a player was deemed to be obstructing Allinson's view as he was directly in front of him. I though VAR got it right others didnt

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Goal dissalowed  because a player was deemed to be obstructing Allinson's view as he was directly in front of him. I though VAR got it right others didnt

They gave Cahill shot earlier as offside for similar as Benteke was blocking Martinez. If keeper cant see then its fair enough

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In theory, it's a great model having young, fit referees who can keep up with the action on the pitch, supported by wiser experienced refs watching VAR.

Except for one small problem, they're all completely useless and most likely corrupt. Cannot fault the theory though.

• Like 3

Two things yesterday.

Cavani was quite obviously offside so they fluffed it by claiming a Fernandes assist when he didn’t touch the ball. Why didn’t VAR properly scrutinise this (including lines for offside after the Bruno ‘flick’) like they analysed the perfectly fine Fulham equaliser?

Also to me, Chelsea’s penalty... looked like no contact at all?!

both are possibly similar too

utd they were so preoccupied with the offside that they seemingly didnt check to see if fernandes actually kicked it, chelsea they checked to see if the contact was inside or outside the box rather than the contact itself

fwiw i though chelsea's was a pen and they could have had another earlier in the game, utds was offide, he didnt touch the ball not a chance

In that Chelsea game against 'Lestoh' last night, had VAR been actually fully consistent, the game would have either been 3-1 to Chelsea, or 1-1. Being kicked (quite hard) in the back of the leg isn't a penalty it seems... The penalty actually given had way less contact. 

The whole thing is a circus farce and just designed to troll fans now. 

Edited by Raver50032

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

both are possibly similar too

utd they were so preoccupied with the offside that they seemingly didnt check to see if fernandes actually kicked it, chelsea they checked to see if the contact was inside or outside the box rather than the contact itself

fwiw i though chelsea's was a pen and they could have had another earlier in the game, utds was offide, he didnt touch the ball not a chance

I thought the Chelsea one was a foul but I think the difficulty is that its a foul that gets given anywhere else on the pitch but not very often in the penalty area. I'd suggest that if Mike Dean had known that the slight touch was in the box then he wouldn't have given the foul in the first place and it wouldn't have been given by VAR. Probably not how it should be but that's how I saw it.

I just can't understand why the VAR ref doesn't ask the ref to look at it.

He either:

1) Thinks the ball is out of play (it isn't)

2) It's in play but Watkins isn't getting it (that's not the rule)

3) He didn't touch him (he did)

4) Something more sinister

If 1) then he has a video to check it if 2) then he doesn't know the rules if 3) then he shouldn't be a ref at ANY level.

It only leaves 4). It's Kevin Friend who has a history of screwing us over.

Really poor.

Worst decision so far in the league and it’s going to get brushed under the carpet, even more so because we won. I hope Smith brings it up in his interview and I hope we make a noise about it as a club.

The only defence I can think of is that the ref thinks the ball is going out and he can't get it

But then Harry Kane completely miscontrolled the ball and it was going out for his pen vs us

There's not a chance in hell that utd or kane don't get that penalty and that's what's infuriating about it

• Like 1

Â