The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Direction that the ball goes in isn’t relevant and never has been. If you’re offside when a ball is played then you’re offside.

Haven’t actually seen this goal but I assume the goalscorer was ahead of the ball and ran back to get it.

I thought it had to be a forward pass?!?

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I thought it had to be a forward pass?!?

That’s not the rule it’s just that generally with a backwards pass the recipient will have been behind the ball so not in an offside position.

I’d imagine it’s a pretty rare occurrence but if you’re ahead of the ball then you’re offside even if the direction of the pass isn’t forwards.

18 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

That’s not the rule it’s just that generally with a backwards pass the recipient will have been behind the ball so not in an offside position.

I’d imagine it’s a pretty rare occurrence but if you’re ahead of the ball then you’re offside even if the direction of the pass isn’t forwards.

Wow, I feel pretty stoopid.

Always thought it had to be a forward pass, you learn something new every day.

• Like 1

That red card should NOT be happening. If you showed the referee that after the match I would bet he wouldn’t call it a red. Because VAR for some reason decide to say he needs to see it again, he’s going to give it. They still don’t really have any authority on the pitch.

Who the ref is at ‘Stockley Park’ I don’t know, but they need demoting for sending that for a review.

Thats again the ref somehow not understanding what he's looking at, he's seen the studs hit the players leg called it dangerous and sent him off, but in human anatomy is he possibly meant to avoid that contact? It's a perfectly natural follow through action to him kicking the ball leading to unavoidable contact due to the Chelsea player closing him down 

Its contact but its not a foul, its nasty but it's not dangerous, definitely not intentionally so

Its like the ref doesn't understand how a ball is kicked... And that can't be the case he's not that stupid, or he's just so inept that he sees studs hit a leg and then chooses to be oblivious as to how or why they got there which means that he's choosing to be stupid, which is even worse 

That Balbuena decision is an absolute joke, but it's nothing to do with VAR. It's just terrible refereeing. We have too many refs who can't distinguish between deliberate foul play, avoidable dangerous play, and an unavoidable accident. They just don't appreciate the natural dynamics of playing the game, challenging for headers, tackles, etc.

Two of the worst VAR decisions ever in one night, both favouring SL clubs.

As usual slow motion makes both incidents look marginally worse, but certainly not fouls. 

I usually argue that slow motion shouldn't be allowed in VAR replays but I'm not sure it matters here, because even in slow motion the only explanation for the Newcastle handball or West Ham red card decisions is corruption. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Two of the worst VAR decisions ever in one night, both favouring SL clubs.

As usual slow motion makes both incidents look marginally worse, but certainly not fouls. 

I usually argue that slow motion shouldn't be allowed in VAR replays but I'm not sure it matters here, because even in slow motion the only explanation for the Newcastle handball or West Ham red card decisions is corruption. 

It's not var making the decision  it's the officials . If VAR goes it will still be the same officials making even worse decisions  except with less information and more of an excuse to be making bad decisions. 

If the officials looking at VAR continue to make poor decisions then they should be removed from the role and replaced with someone who makes correct  decisions. 

At the moment  every bad decision  is being blamed on VAR and that's not the case, it's the officials decisions that are being highlighted  as being poor, very poor.

I'm not sure who's setting the agenda against VAR, they should be looking  at  the officials and those who manage them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tinker said:

It's not var making the decision  it's the officials . If VAR goes it will still be the same officials making even worse decisions  except with less information and more of an excuse to be making bad decisions. 

If the officials looking at VAR continue to make poor decisions then they should be removed from the role and replaced with someone who makes correct  decisions. 

At the moment  every bad decision  is being blamed on VAR and that's not the case, it's the officials decisions that are being highlighted  as being poor, very poor.

I'm not sure who's setting the agenda against VAR, they should be looking  at  the officials and those who manage them.

100% this

VAR is only highlighting how bad PGMOL are, its Mike Riley that needs to go and I'm amazed the PL clubs haven't suggested it, they're utterly clueless

VAR will be at the euros and the world cup, there's every danger that PGMOL won't be, biggest league in the world will no ref at a major tournament? Says it all 

In the good old days there were a few shockers but most offsides you could argue that the linesman cannot see the exact moment the ball left the boot and then look where the attacking player is.   We all accepted its only human and got on with it.

Now these lines are been used it's killed the passion and excitement.  

Clear and Obvious error we were told so how about let the Refs and Linesman get on with doing their job and only tell them to look at a screen when it's a shocking decision.

The amount of weeks we have said that is the worst VAR decision yet this season just keeps growing.

• Like 1

Must admit after the whole ESL thing I have become even more dissillusioned with football, and I thought the games yesterday did nothing but reinforce that.

The Arsenal Everton game. There is a blatant dive by Ceballos, for which the ref gives a penalty. Wrong decision. var check. Still a penalty. Wrong decision. Penalty ruled out for an offside that is technically correct by a micrometer, but which cannot be discerned by the naked eye even with slow motion.

Then the two West Ham red cards which bafflingly the refs and var both get wrong. One because it is never a red card, and the other because after establishing a rule with the decision making they then ignore it for an identical incident.

All in all Super League or not, I did not see much honest competition yesterday.

At this stage talking about football is more fun and interesting than watching it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I think the game would be better overall without VAR. 
One of the most iconic moments in PL history is the Aguerooooooo goal, as soon as it left his foot the place erupted. As a neutral it was incredible scenes.

Now can you imagine that now? No chance. They’d have all waited whilst several phases of play were checked for pushes, handballs, offsides, out of play. It would absolutely ruin it. They’d have probably found something to rule it out with.

I much prefer the previous scenario where the referee made the occasional f-up in the heat of the moment and the split second he had to make it than what we have now. If the ball went in, and the flag is down, the goal is good, let the celebrations commence.

We have more stupid decisions, a killing of that goals special moment, and a load of stoppages which are absolutely ruining the game.

In an unexpected turn of events we seem to have much more diving and simulation now as they know these things look worse in slow motion.

Var was supposed to be for clear and obvious errors , that's not been adhered  to and all sorts of decisions are going through it that shouldn't be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

When is VAR going to start dishing out cards for diving yelping feigning injury and rolling around like cretins?

Players should be shamed for this behaviour.

Match of the day did it a few weeks ago taking the piss out of Lacazette (I think it was) for his scream as he got tackled.

So often it’s tackled -> scream -> appears to be absolute agony leg breaker type writhing around -> ref doesn’t give it -> that players team win the ball back -> player goes from spinal board to running in 5 seconds.

They should make examples of these piss takers in the analysis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

When is VAR going to start dishing out cards for diving yelping feigning injury and rolling around like cretins?

Retrospective red cards based on video evidence would solve this problem overnight. No contact, disproportionate reaction to negligible contact? Sit in the stands for a game, buddy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tinker said:

Absolutely. Both decisions that wouldn't have been made without VAR but the result is absolutely human error. 

I like the idea of a video replay for refs, I guess the current iteration of VAR is just allowing bad referees an extra opportunity to get a decision wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Absolutely. Both decisions that wouldn't have been made without VAR but the result is absolutely human error. 

I like the idea of a video replay for refs, I guess the current iteration of VAR is just allowing bad referees an extra opportunity to get a decision wrong. 

Yes , if the ref wasn't sure or didn't see it then he could go and have a look.  Other than that the game goes on. ATM VAR officials are officiating  the game by proxy,  through the refs.

Edited by tinker

Â