The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Do VAR publish their justifications for overturning big decisions online? If they don't, they should.

The lack of transparancy is abysmal. West Brom should of had a penalty, and it's frankly outrageous at the other end.

If Michael Oliver is the best referee in the league, why did he not request more angles on the VAR yesterday?

I agree that Trez over dramatized it and I don't like to see it, but its not a reason not to give the penalty like Shearer was implying on MOTD. 

Maybe instead of the overexaggerated dive he should of just gone over and squealed really loud. Like Maupay did when he ran in to targett to get him booked.

The offside checker lottery gives Everton a goal despite Calvert-Lewins head possibly being offside. He scored with his feet.

Glad they gave the goal as it was the right call IMO. But on another day it could easily have been ruled offside 

8 minutes ago, sne said:

The offside checker lottery gives Everton a goal despite Calvert-Lewins head possibly being offside. He scored with his feet.

Glad they gave the goal as it was the right call IMO. But on another day it could easily have been ruled offside 

They basically just do whatever they feel like. They control the outcome of games.

• Like 2

Problem is you could resort to the way things were before VAR and have everyone slating officials for making mistakes,  or leave things as they are now and have people watching monitors slated for making mistakes. Only thing that is clear is the system doesn't work and something new needs implementing. 

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Problem is you could resort to the way things were before VAR and have everyone slating officials for making mistakes,  or leave things as they are now and have people watching monitors slated for making mistakes. Only thing that is clear is the system doesn't work and something new needs implementing. 

What we had before was far preferable, because at least then the mistakes and inconsistencies were only being made in real time.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Not sure, looks like Fred may have gotten the balls first
delete.jpg.691d1c554000fb4a108937018cb45380.jpg

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Potter and Smith summed it up perfectly at the end when they said they dont know what a penalty is anymore. That is 2 intelligent top flight managers who dont know whats going on. If that doesnt tell you its a farce then nothing will

Anyways, herein lies the problem...when smart managers and commentators (i.e., the ones who are supposed to intelligent with respect to the rules of the game) are constantly saying they don't understand anymore, there's a clear issue that needs to be addressed.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Also, how is every Fernandes penalty not ruled illegal? He disrupts his run at the start (making the keeper move from their line) and before he kicks. It's not fair or legitimate.

This. It’s made me wonder if it’s a myth that it’s illegal. I hardly watch any football outside of Villa but I don’t recall hearing of anyone called on it. It seems to be one of those rules that refs can’t be arsed to apply. Kind of like foul throws and adding correct amounts of injury time. 

• Like 1

I know there’s debate to be had on the Trezeguet and Gallagher decisions (both pens for me) but what I don’t get is how there are people saying Albion’s was and ours wasn’t.  How so?  They were completely identical situations.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I know there’s debate to be had on the Trezeguet and Gallagher decisions (both pens for me) but what I don’t get is how there are people saying Albion’s was and ours wasn’t.  How so?  They were completely identical situations.

He clips the ball for ours 

The "got the ball" myth 

• Like 1

I was chatting to my neighbour across the lawn this afternoon. He’s had a ST at Villa for at least 10 years, could be a lot longer. 
We discussed VAR and he said he’s considering not bothering renewing his ST because of it. He was saying if you can’t celebrate a goal or even a last minute penalty and go crazy then there isn’t much point being there. You have to pause and wait, then the moment has gone. 
I can completely see his point. ST’s are expensive and also a big time commitment. If a big part of the being in the ground experienced is robbed then why bother.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was chatting to my neighbour across the lawn this afternoon. He’s had a ST at Villa for at least 10 years, could be a lot longer. 
We discussed VAR and he said he’s considering not bothering renewing his ST because of it. He was saying if you can’t celebrate a goal or even a last minute penalty and go crazy then there isn’t much point being there. You have to pause and wait, then the moment has gone. 
I can completely see his point. ST’s are expensive and also a big time commitment. If a big part of the being in the ground experienced is robbed then why bother.

Are you my neighbour?

• Like 1

Â