The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Posted (edited)

Ref watches replays on a tablet to make their own decision unprompted. Effectively they can do this before making any decision, so it's not just like correcting mistakes but using all of the available information.

If the ref doesn't feel the need to watch a replay but there is uproar, that's when challenges come into play. Sorted.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

I see that wolves are leading the charge against VAR. Maybe they should get rid of it just so we can see Gary o’neil’s reaction to a referee error made without it:

”Honest mistake- no complaints from me”

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

sounds like PL clubs aren't going to vote to scrap it anyway

It was never going to be scrapped even if over half the league vote for it to be gone. 

It's can easily be made much better. But the big problem is you've got a old boy member in Howard Webb who is running it, so a huge part of the problem.

Its not rocket science is it. Independent VAR staff, who have played, or know the game, an referees call for VAR only if needed, unless its a clear and obvious error'. I mean it's not hard to implement is it.

I was all for it when it was to be used to remedy clear and obvious errors. Now linesmen don't flag for offside, they rely on VAR. VAR spends an obscene amount of time critically checking every facet of the incident then comes to a conclusion. It's being overused for every decision it seems - which wasn't it's original purpose.

Go back to playing the game as it was, making the calls on field - and if VAR talk to the Ref and say 'Hang on there, We think that goal was onside please go and check' or 'you might want to double check that yellow card', or even 'we think you missed a deliberate handball/foul in that last phase of play which would result in a penalty, might be worth a look' - then fine.

• Like 3

I’d love VAR to have a time limit, particularly for offsides. if it’s taking more 3 minutes to make the decision, then go to the on field decision. 

also, hand balls need readdressing. Particularly the “natural position of arms”. It should account for motion, such as turning, running and jumping. 

also, a general officiating thing I like, more punishment from diving. Even if it found after a VAR pen/red card decision. 

oh and if a pen check rules  a decision out, but the ball went out of play by the defending player, then reward the corner.. not a drop ball for the goal keeper 

Just employ people under 25 to run it. They are far more used to technology, I bet it takes Webb 10 mins to send a text. 

Younger people, offer them £40k a year. One week's training on the rules. Sorted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’d love VAR to have a time limit, particularly for offsides. if it’s taking more 3 minutes to make the decision, then go to the on field decision. 

With semi automatic offsides coming next season, the time will be down a lot for offsides specifically 

23 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

also, hand balls need readdressing. Particularly the “natural position of arms”. It should account for motion, such as turning, running and jumping. 

problem is that the handball rules are under different interpretations at every level in the world. Even heard in our game Monday that the handball Pau was asking for at the end probably gets given in European competitions and in La Liga.

On 16/05/2024 at 08:51, foreveryoung said:

Its not rocket science is it. Independent VAR staff, who have played, or know the game, an referees call for VAR only if needed, unless its a clear and obvious error'. I mean it's not hard to implement is it.

Independent VAR staff is definitely crucial, but having the playing experience tbh in my mind is a negative — we see all these ex pros in media haven’t a slightest clue about the LOTG and complain about everything. Imagine Gabby as a head VAR official? 

• Like 1

All VAR should be able to do, IMO, is ask the match ref to review his decision.

Then he gets 2-3 angles of an incident in real time, and has to decide if he wants to change his decision. That's it. If he's not sure after a few more looks at it, stick with your on-field decision. The ref retains responsibility for all of it.

Same for offside, let the ref see it in real time from a couple of angles and make a decision.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2024 at 15:37, ThunderPower_14 said:

All VAR should be able to do, IMO, is ask the match ref to review his decision.

Then he gets 2-3 angles of an incident in real time, and has to decide if he wants to change his decision. That's it. If he's not sure after a few more looks at it, stick with your on-field decision. The ref retains responsibility for all of it.

Same for offside, let the ref see it in real time from a couple of angles and make a decision.

But there is an extremely accurate and quicker technology about to be introduced for offside, why would you limit a decision to a ref just looking at a 2D picture a few times and decide?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Voting in June.  Klopp has said he would scrap it.   I would keep it for everything except offside

the flag staying down already has created needless injuries to players

the flag staying doen has already created corner kicks when a free kick to defense was correct

prrsonally i think it depends too much on tge frane speed and when the video is stopped   Also, hangails off are the intent of the rule   Neither are shirt sleeves or hair length   The intent is to prevent forwards camping with the GK eliminating a midfield a d making the game a continuous punt and hope affair   

Penalties, goals, cards or instances when any of those three were not given but should have been, stay under review.   When there is a clear and obvious error, those calls should be changed.  Those are match changing calls.  

the other option is to permit no VAR interference unless the captain requests it.  Then anything can be reviewed.  But the team can only request 3 reviews per match.  .  

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

But there is an extremely accurate and quicker technology about to be introduced for offside, why would you limit a decision to a ref just looking at a 2D picture a few times and decide?

If the tech is flawless and will be used sensibly, great! Removing the human element is great as well.

The problem is that nobody, including fans, match officials, PGMOL, the Premier League, the F.A. and the VAR window-lickers at Stockley Park know from week to week how the system should be applied in the simplest, fastest, most consistent and effective way possible while adhering to the rulebook! It's a simple game, but you'd think you need to get a doctorate's degree in VAR to master it's complexities.

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Voting in June.  Klopp has said he would scrap it.   I would keep it for everything except offside

the flag staying down already has created needless injuries to players

the flag staying doen has already created corner kicks when a free kick to defense was correct

prrsonally i think it depends too much on tge frane speed and when the video is stopped   Also, hangails off are the intent of the rule   Neither are shirt sleeves or hair length   The intent is to prevent forwards camping with the GK eliminating a midfield a d making the game a continuous punt and hope affair  

Agree fully with this. Linos letting clear offsides go is bullshit, look at Mings doing his knee chasing down a clearly offside attacker. 

Hopefully the new technology works fast enough to stop these incidents. 

Crawley Town conceded a penalty today in the playoff final when their goalkeeper made an excellent tackle that was deemed a foul. Thankfully for them VAR overturned it. They were 1-0 up at the time and went on to win 2-0.

VAR showing its use again.

• Like 2

From next season, the VAR will only intervene when the referee is clearly wrong, rather than when there has been a clear and obvious error.

That ought to sort it out. 

• Haha 4

DRS works very well in cricket, why couldn't the same thing be implemented with VAR? Nothing is checked unless the Captain or Manager asks for it. If it's a dead call, you lose a review. If it's legit, you keep it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m glad fans don’t have a say in how it works as it’d be a disaster. Not flagging for offside is completely vital. I can’t remember what game it was but a lino cocked that up and it cost the team a goal - UCL semi final I think? It doesn’t matter how “obvious” it is as there could always be that rogue deflection or that random fullback that went unnoticed.

The idea of having ex players involved is completely laughable. The idea generally that former players can referee better is just insane.

The key thing for me is all the monitor nonsense. Do away with it. The decision has to be clear enough for the VAR to just on the spot call it - penalty or whatever. The VAR is a professional referee so should have the confidence to say yes that’s a clear pen and the ref would obviously given it had he had that information. It isn’t worth 2-3 decisions a season where the referee goes against the VAR for all the fannying around at the monitor 

Also this idea of referees announcing to the stadium is dumb. At the women’s World Cup is was laughably pointless. They just announce what is obvious when they point to the spot. Fans don’t need to see replays and all that at the game - they never used to for normal on field decisions why should that change.

Semi automated offside, no monitor. Surely that’d do. For offside of the semi automated image is generated fast enough the VAR should be able to start reviewing it in real time and not waiting for a goal. 

• Like 2

The premier leagues defence is that there would have been 100 more mistakes last season.. That includes offside calls.  And the highly suspect definition of what they consider a correct intervention.

1 more incorrect decision, including offsides, every 4 games? Cool. Keep the semi automated offside and sack it off

• Like 1

Â