The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

15 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

You need ex-players on board to support with the decision making here.

Schmeichel sums it up perfectly. None of the refs have played professional football to a high standard, so how can they know that Salah standing in front of Martinez doesn’t affect his ability to save the shot.

That goal yesterday totally deflated us and it would have been given as offside if the roles were reversed.

And as for interpreting the law, why should it need to be interpreted.

“Sorry officer I know it said 30mph but I interpreted that as at least 30mph”.

Ex GK and Ex Striker makes every decision ..they have to agree or stick with on field decision? I guess you bring in Ex club bias then, but then I'm sure most of the refs have club biases anyway.

Don't wanna back scummy Man United. But the offside yesterday of Garnacho had a perfect inline camera angle which he looked level, but when they put on the VAR lines they chose to use a camera which was behind the players. Shoulder looked off then, but so would a horse look like the winner from that angle lines or no line.

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Wether you like Var or not, it’s ruining football as a spectacle

Do you think it’s just England, or everywhere?  To me it seems like it’s just here. World Cups and stuff it’s been fine, or at least has been better than with no VAR.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

Do you think it’s just England, or everywhere?  To me it seems like it’s just here. World Cups and stuff it’s been fine, or at least has been better than with no VAR.

I think it's a combination of very poor officiating in England (Spain is poor too) and the nature of an English fan - likes to have a moan at everything (often rightly so).

The Brits don't like change, especially when it comes something to something they hold precious, like football. 

46 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think it's a combination of very poor officiating in England (Spain is poor too) and the nature of an English fan - likes to have a moan at everything (often rightly so).

The Brits don't like change, especially when it comes something to something they hold precious, like football. 

If it was officiated properly you’d still get the fans of the bigger clubs complaining because they are no longer getting the dodgy decisions that they have in the past. **** them.

Personally I’d rather lose fairly than win by cheating. I hate the levels of dishonesty in football, and it makes me not want to watch it sometimes.

Talking about the wolves non penalty

What did the officials say?

Referee Hooper: "No way, that's a collision, we don't give those."

VAR Salisbury: "So Onana goes to challenge the ball..."

Referee Hooper: "Goal-kick."

VAR Salisbury: "Just delay. Delay, delay, checking possible penalty.

Referee Hooper: "No worries mate."

VAR Salisbury: "You'll want to view this because I think Onana collides into it. He tries to go to the ball and he makes aerial contact with the Wolves player. It's late and it's clumsy in my opinion. Dawson wins the header, but it's late, very late in the aerial challenge.

"I think because the Wolves player doesn't head the ball, yeah because Dawson heads it, therefore it's a normal collision as they've both challenged the ball. Check complete.

Referee Hooper: "Check complete."

Since when has taking out a random player been acceptable? He states it's late and clumsy. It's like listening to two plastic manure fans justifying a blatant foul. I can never work out whether it is incompetence or corruption. Either way it's killing top flight football.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

did they then ask him about the liverpool goal or not even bother?

if he disallows one then he should disallow both

From the BBC article he only spoke about this goal, Van Dijk red card and the United/Wolves penalty shout

Usual teams

I found the programme interesting but thought it was a bit of a PR stunt and tick box exercise tbh.

It's like it's the Howard Webb show, very animated.

He basically praises everything they get right, and they show plenty of that.

For the ones they get wrong, it's just a case of Webb saying they got it wrong and we will learn from it. No real accountability behind  it all.

Sadly VAR is hear to stay, i wish it would go away as i don't think it's improved the game at all but there is too much invested in it now. It's a now a cottage industry for referees to continue after they have finished in the middle.

For every VAR decision that is clear cur there is one that is still someones opinion. It just changes who's opinion.

I don't think it will ever be perfect and get everything right. Just the same as when we didn't have it.

While i think the VAR explanation program is actually interesting insight, the biggest insight in got from the conversations is the fact that although referees know the laws of the game, i dont think they understand the game itself as much as they should. 

8 minutes ago, Oaks said:

While i think the VAR explanation program is actually interesting insight, the biggest insight in got from the conversations is the fact that although referees know the laws of the game, i dont think they understand the game itself as much as they should. 

Which has long been the issue with refs, they don’t understand the game, just the rules.

• Like 1

Â