2. Tom Russell - Folk Hotel 

3. Peter Hammill - From the Trees 

4. Big Big Train - The Second Brightest Star 

Errr... that's it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Kendrick Lamar - Damn

Damn-632x632.jpg

I continue to enjoy that one, fair few full plays listened to.

And then an album I've absolutely loved this year and played all the way through on repeat many times, and the one probably the furthest from Kendrick Lamar's is Laura Marling's Semper Femina.

Laura-Marling-Semper-Femina-1488898043-compressed.jpg

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 3

City of Caterpillar - Driving Spain Up A Wall

a2884337722_10.jpg

Two hugely significant things happened in music for me this year. Firstly, one of the greatest songs I have ever heard, but was never recorded in a studio, finally was. This song was something of a myth - a live version had been committed to disc as part of an 'unreleased/demos' LP (City of Caterpillar only ever released a single LP and two split EPs otherwise), and there were a few live versions floating around YouTube and such. All of these recordings were somewhat shoddy, but that fit in nicely with the skramz/diy ethic that was absolutely rampant at the start of the 00s. So, I'd call Driving Spain Up the Wall one of my favourite releases of the year, not because the song is still one of my favourites ever (in truth the cleanness of this new version is almost offensive to my ears), but because the promise of a new CoC album is an incredible, impossible, monumentous prospect. Seriously, go back and listen to the S/T LP. It's absurdly good. 

Slowdive - Slowdive

61de16ab.jpg

The other impossibility come true was the new Slowdive album. I'm sure any fan who heard of the news of a new album at the start of the year may have feared the worst. I believe Pygmalion gets a bit of a hard time, it's not terrible, but yeah, it's no Souvlaki. This isn't either, far from it, but the whole album exudes a confidence, and a nostalgia, unlike anything I've heard in a long time. It sounds like a 90s shoe gaze album to me, and what more could a fan possibly of hoped for? 

Full of Hell - Trumpeting Ecstasy 

0009666121_10.jpg

As for the AOTY, this is it. It's quite simple, really. There is nothing on the planet - has been nothing on the planet - that does close to what these guys do. To me, this is actual perfection. If exactly the right musicians had got together with me, and asked what I wanted the ultimate noise to be, Full of Hell would be it. I can not get enough of this shit.

• Like 3

In no particular order

Jane Weaver - Modern Cosmology

Colin Stetson - All this I do for Glory

Grandaddy - Last Place

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers

Mogwai - Every Country's Sun

Jesca Hoop - Memories are Now

PSB - Every Valley

Jen Cloher - Self Titled - (this is my absolute favourite, it's brilliant).

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice

Minor Victories - Minor Victories

Sparks and Tinariwen just miss out, 'cus I thought of them after there were already 10 in my list.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 8pints said:

And then an album I've absolutely loved this year and played all the way through on repeat many times, and the one probably the furthest from Kendrick Lamar's is Laura Marling's Semper Femina.

Laura-Marling-Semper-Femina-1488898043-compressed.jpg

I was just going to pop in this thread and say Semper Femina by Laura Marling is definitely Album of the year in my house. In fact I'm going to listen to it now again now :)

I knew this was coming, and I knew I'd have to get a list together, but I've not had chance to think about it properly yet. Some of mine have been mentioned already, which is cool, as I won't have to try and remember them.

• Like 1

1. Mark Lanegan - Gargoyle

2. Meat Wave - Incessant

3. Thurston Moore -Rock n Roll Consciousness

4. Wolf Alice - Whatever it's called.       Okay album. not great though...

Really struggling to think of anything else....

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

It's that time of year when I realise how out of touch I am.

Don't worry mate. most of the "bands" in this thread have obviously been made up by the posters.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

It's that time of year when I realise how out of touch I am.

1. Johnny Flynn - Sillion

Aaaand that's my list. That's the best (and worst) new album I've heard this year.

Yeah but we had one thing to say which was still relevant! (At least yours hadn't already been said) :D

• Like 1

I'll try to compile a proper list at some point, but there's basically 2 major standout albums for me this year.

Ocean Grove's eclectic brilliance:

and the album I have played by far the most, despite being incredibly doubtful upon release - "You Are We" by While She Sleeps.  Just stunning.

Quiet year for me - most of my focus has been on acquiring old funk and soul on vinyl but here's what I've liked this year (warning - it's very mainstream compared to most on this thread)

Africa Express Presents the Orchestra of Syrian Musicians (& Guests)

Yesterday's Gone - Loyle Carner

Weather Diaries - Ride

Drunk - Thundercat

Relaxer - Alt-J

God First - Mr Jukes

Colors - Beck

Lotta Sea Lice - Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile

Songbook - Frank Turner

• Like 1

Â