Albums of the Year 2017

theboyangel

56 minutes ago, choffer said:

Quiet year for me - most of my focus has been on acquiring old funk and soul on vinyl but here's what I've liked this year (warning - it's very mainstream compared to most on this thread)

Africa Express Presents the Orchestra of Syrian Musicians (& Guests)

Yesterday's Gone - Loyle Carner

Weather Diaries - Ride

Drunk - Thundercat

Relaxer - Alt-J

God First - Mr Jukes

Colors - Beck

Lotta Sea Lice - Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile

Songbook - Frank Turner

I've heard of two of them artists. B)

• Like 1

Was looking through old lists to see what new music I have bought over the last year. 

Looking back sadly don't think that there has been much great music. This list is easily the best of what I've bought (in no particular order): -

• Code Orange - Forever
  • John Garcia - The Coyote Who Spoke in Tongues
  • Mastodon - Emperor of Sands
  • Mark Lanegan - Gargoyle
  • Pallbearer - Heartless
  • Municipal Waste - Slime and Punishment
  • Enslaved - E
  • Myrkur - Mareridt
  • Mastodon - Cold Dark Place (EP)
  • Converge - the Dusk in Us
  • Electric Wizard - Wizard Bloody Wizard
  • Anal Trump - If You Thought Six Million Jews Was A Lot Of People, You Should've Seen My Inauguration (EP)

All good albums though and would recommend all. I do feel like I have missed something though... Top 5 in order I would say

1. Enslaved - E
  2. Mastodon - Emperor of Sands
  3. Myrkur - Mareridt
  4. Code Orange - Forever
  5. Pallbearer - Heartless
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cyrusr said:

• Anal Trump - If You Thought Six Million Jews Was A Lot Of People, You Should've Seen My Inauguration (EP)

Great band name and album title, I also think they've cracked how to make money from Spotify... you'll play the album in its entirety4 times before you realise that wasn't just the first track. They make Napalm Death seem like noodling prog

(Not to my taste I'd add)

• Haha 2

In a year where Full of Hell released an LP, as well as a colab LP with The Body, Cannibal Corpse put out a decent effort, and Sunlight's Bane released a pretty sweet debut LP, I can only assume an Anal Trump inclusion is a joke - it'd struggle to place on even a grind best of the year list :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Great band name and album title, I also think they've cracked how to make money from Spotify... you'll play the album in its entirety4 times before you realise that wasn't just the first track. They make Napalm Death seem like noodling prog

(Not to my taste I'd add)

Yeah it doesn't take long to listen to... Their "Album" from last year is about 3 minutes long!

2 hours ago, hogso said:

In a year where Full of Hell released an LP, as well as a colab LP with The Body, Cannibal Corpse put out a decent effort, and Sunlight's Bane released a pretty sweet debut LP, I can only assume an Anal Trump inclusion is a joke - it'd struggle to place on even a grind best of the year list :lol:

I quite like it to be honest! It is more of a joke project by the Cattle Decapitation guy but more in reaction to the nonsense that is Trump! Still think the EP just a bit of fun and makes me smile.

I did forget about the Cannibal Corpse album, that is a good solid record too to be fair. Not listened to the Full of Hell record, probably should though!

Steven Wilson - To The Bone

Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

Everything Everything - A Fever Dream

Kendrick Lamar - Damn

Sikth - The Future In Whose Eyes?

Thundercat - Drunk

Primus - The Desaturating Seven

At The Drive In - Interalia

Obviously an old album but Prince - Purple Rain (deluxe), had been waiting a while for that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is my favourite album from this year.

It shouldn't be, it's made from lots of terrible things.

One of my friends said the album gave him nightmares :D

The change of mood at around 5 minutes makes me  :crylaugh:

Also liked this...

It's the Rawtekk that's really blown me away though, it was 2016 but just got the CD this year.

Its soaring sonic architecture, you can nearly see it. Think on this one, @blandy :)

YouTube REALLY doesn't do the sonics justice.

On 12/1/2017 at 17:26, Seat68 said:

You people are all too cool for school. 

See how far you get with the Quietus list ;)

• Like 1

Â