The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's a host city for euro 2020, big shiny new stadium which UEFA like (out of interest anyone know what our UEFA rating is now)

Can't be that many big new stadiums they can use every year

They do star ratings now judging mainly on attendance and other factors. Think we are 3 star stadium at moment

Think 70000 is Champions League final minimum and 45000 is Europa League final

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Since 2013, only Real Madrid and Juventus  are the only Champions League finalists to have won the league the season before

Farcical tournament 

Why is the above used to underline your view that it's farcical?

And what makes it farcical? 

6 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Why is the above used to underline your view that it's farcical?

And what makes it farcical? 

Because its called CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, it should be for teams that are you know actual champions 

• Confused 1

What about Masters in golf/snooker? Is that for Masters only? 

What about European Championships? Why is Israel playing there?

Why the heck is Australia in the Eurovision? 

And what if Aston Villa played in the CL by taking 2nd place in England? We were champions of Europe once, is the champions title taken away from us now? 

Call it whatever you want, but the current formula works because it allows smaller teams to qualify, and appreciates teams like spurs or borussia dortmund who are among the best in Europe. Not top 10 - but somehwere in the top 20.

Arguing about the name is silly. And CL has the best branding/anthem the football has seen so it would stupid to change it. 

Well it doesn't allow smaller teams to qualify either. 19 teams are guaranteed from France, England, Spain, Germany and Italy plus 4 from Russia and Portugal 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Because its called CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, it should be for teams that are you know actual champions 

But Real Madrid were defending champions of Europe in 2017 and 2018.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

It’s a valid point. But you would risk having a competition without much competition. The champions of England, Spain, germany and Italy would be pretty much in the semi final every year because of lack of competition (maybe add Portugal and France).

The current formula to me is a compromise between the super league and all the actual champions

3 minutes ago, AXD said:

It’s a valid point. But you would risk having a competition without much competition. The champions of England, Spain, germany and Italy would be pretty much in the semi final every year because of lack of competition (maybe add Portugal and France).

The current formula to me is a compromise between the super league and all the actual champions

This is the 1st final since 2008 without Bayern, Real or Barcelona involved so its not really that competitive

On 11/05/2019 at 12:12, AXD said:

Well, we used to have it like that and there were teams from many different countried going far in the cup. IFK Gothenburg reached the semi final and Malmö FF reached the final. These days the swedish teams hardly ever qualify. There wasn't as much money in it back then, so the competition was a lot more even. It's pretty much because of the money from the CL that the same clubs can come back year after year. Is the football better today than back then? Maybe, but we get to see less of the second best players as they're getting big money for sitting on the bench in the top clubs and being happy with that.

• Like 4

If they were to limit it to just champions, football everywhere would die. We think leagues are bad now, imagine all of the top players just playing for one club in each country because they want CL football. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

If they were to limit it to just champions, football everywhere would die. We think leagues are bad now, imagine all of the top players just playing for one club in each country because they want CL football. 

I think it would help get over the notion that CL football is the be all and end all of football. It shouldn't be like that where teams now have no other ambition than to finish 4th and qualify for the CL as opposed to winning trophies. 

Moot point anyway as it will never change. The status quo is set and it will very rarely change. Thank God for the occasional outlier like Leicester City. The greatest sporting upset of all time. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think it would help get over the notion that CL football is the be all and end all of football. It shouldn't be like that where teams now have no other ambition than to finish 4th and qualify for the CL as opposed to winning trophies. 

Moot point anyway as it will never change. The status quo is set and it will very rarely change. Thank God for the occasional outlier like Leicester City. The greatest sporting upset of all time. 

That Leicester campaign was amazing. Really brought the romance back. Such a shame it was the same season we were so shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

It shouldn't be like that where teams now have no other ambition than to finish 4th and qualify for the CL as opposed to winning trophies

This very much.

The creation of the CL made UEFA a stack of cash but they absolutely managed to devalue all of their tournaments (now both of course) as a result.

It is an exercise in marketing. Nothing else.

I don't particularly blame the CL format, I blame the PL/Sky.  They've absolutely destroyed football with the amount of money that comes into the Premier League.  Isn't it still every year that whoever gets promoted from the Championship automatically all enter the top 30 richest clubs in the World or something?

I mean, **** lol football.  **** lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't particularly blame the CL format, I blame the PL/Sky.  They've absolutely destroyed football with the amount of money that comes into the Premier League.  Isn't it still every year that whoever gets promoted from the Championship automatically all enter the top 30 richest clubs in the World or something?

I mean, **** lol football.  **** lol.

Maybe, but that money isn't out of thin air. It's our money. Every time you go to a pub to watch man city on sky, every time you spend £30 for a Villa ticket, every time a kid in France buys an Adidas Man U shirt, every time you buy a new fifa game, we are just fueling this monster. The money is big because WE the fans are happy for this to continue.

Adidas are only paying Man U £800 million for their shirt deal because it's a business investment that will pay off. They are gaining, not losing. 

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe, but that money isn't out of thin air. It's our money. Every time you go to a pub to watch man city on sky, every time you spend £30 for a Villa ticket, every time a kid in France buys an Adidas Man U shirt, every time you buy a new fifa game, we are just fueling this monster. The money is big because WE the fans are happy for this to continue.

Adidas are only paying Man U £800 million for their shirt deal because it's a business investment that will pay off. They are gaining, not losing. 

I don't have Sky, pretty much exclusively stream any match I watch (apart from the very few Villa games I go to each season) and have been disliking the mass-spending clubs for years now.

It's why I have no particular interest in being another money club.  I hope we do everything sensibly, but I know many fans wish for money to be thrown at it.  It's all killing the game.  Tonight I was at Mansfield to see Newport beat them in the League Two playoffs.  For reference, Mansfield have a huge budget in that league and Newport really do not.  It was class and means so much to that sort of team.  "Proper" football.

On 10/05/2019 at 23:24, Zatman said:

Since 2013, only Real Madrid and Juventus  are the only Champions League finalists to have won the league the season before

Farcical tournament 

I get where you are coming from to a degree.

Champions League should be only compiled of the teams who have won their respective 'Premier League' in their Country.

The Uefa Cup (Europa Lge) should be made up of those teams who finish second in their respective 'Premier League' and their version of the 'League Cup'

Cup winners Cup should be made up of Teams who have won their country's equivalent to the FA Cup.

But that was scrapped because money talks and it's more commercially suitable to make it the way we know it as it currently is.

I can see the farcial element behind the original post.

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I get where you are coming from to a degree.

Champions League should be only compiled of the teams who have won their respective 'Premier League' in their Country.

The Uefa Cup (Europa Lge) should be made up of those teams who finish second in their respective 'Premier League' and their version of the 'League Cup'

Cup winners Cup should be made up of Teams who have won their country's equivalent to the FA Cup.

But that was scrapped because money talks and it's more commercially suitable to make it the way we know it as it currently is.

I can see the farcial element behind the original post.

I may be wrong, but have a feeling that the English league is one of very few who have two cup competitions.  Therefore, the above wouldn't really work.

I do wonder if the same fuss would be made if the CL was called "Elite League" instead.

Â