The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Ajax almost did it. They were 90 minutes away and slipped up in the last second. 

But I guess that is a rule for all European football. PL is won by top 4, La Liga by top 3, Bundesliga by top 2, French by PSG. 

Yup.

That's why this discussion is in the Game's gone thread.

Just now, PaulC said:

Not really 

Bloody was. Liverpool had Traore, Baros, Smicer and Kewell vs Pirlo, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko and Maldini etc. 

Liverpool were about 6/1 that game

I think we can safely agree that it's the giants who usually win everything.

But we love football because Leicester can win the league and Spurs can turn a 3 goal deficit.

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think we can safely agree that it's the giants who usually win everything.

But we love football because Leicester can win the league and Spurs can turn a 3 goal deficit.

Apart from the Spurs bit, yeah

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bloody was. Liverpool had Traore, Baros, Smicer and Kewell vs Pirlo, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko and Maldini etc. 

Liverpool were about 6/1 that game

Yes no doubt they were underdogs but even then Liverpool winning the champions league is not like Forest winning it. With the groups and the knockout matches you are far less likely to get a surprise winner than you were when it was the European Cup. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes no doubt they were underdogs but even then Liverpool winning the champions league is not like Forest winning it. With the groups and the knockout matches you are far less likely to get a surprise winner than you were when it was the European Cup. 

It was a huge shock though, they finished 5th that season

1 minute ago, Pelle said:

CL and PL killed football as a game of competition.

Corruption, the Bosman ruling, agents and player power also helped.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I hear that argument a lot, but I disagree - team that finishes 2nd in England is stronger than a team that finishes 1st in Portugal. 

It would be silly to not involve them. 

You are right, but the team that finishes 6th in England is stronger than 1st in Scotland or Belgium. 

How far do you go? Eventually you'll end up with an invitation super league of teams from about 4 countries. 

Edited by Xela

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But part of what made the European Cup so hard to win was that not only did you have to be good to win the tournament that year, you had to have been good enough to win your domestic league the year before.

Its what made it special. It was a 2 year project to win it. Win your domestic league one year, beat all the domestic league champions the next. 

Now teams can regularly finish 3rd/4th and not challenge for the title and qualify year in year out for the champions league

38 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I hate to say it but the champions league is a lot harder to win now than it was when the European Cup and it was just the league winners in it.  

Its tougher to win it if you compare it like for like as a standalone competition. Agreed 

However, the hardest part was being allowed to play in it. Liverpool wouldn't have been allowed to play in it for 30 years and Spurs over 50 in the old competition as they hadn't earned the right to qualify. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its tougher to win it if you compare it like for like as a standalone competition. Agreed 

However, the hardest part was being allowed to play in it. Liverpool wouldn't have been allowed to play in it for 30 years and Spurs over 50 in the old competition as they hadn't earned the right to qualify. 

Yep, I point this out to my Man Utd mates when they say how easier it was to win it 30 or so years ago.

Their finest moment would have been the treble win in 1999. Under the “easy” way of previous years, Man Utd wouldn’t have been able to  win their third and final trophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

You are right, but the team that finishes 6th in England is stronger than 1st in Scotland or Belgium. 

How far do you go? Eventually you'll end up with an invitation super league of teams from about 4 countries. 

No idea how far to go. But i'm sure teams like Sporting Lisbon are as much of an important part of European football as teams like Arsenal. 

• Like 1

Talksport asked for an explanation as to why it was 6k tickets each to the EL final, UEFAs response was they thought that baku airport and the infrastructure of the city isn't in place to accommodate more travelling football fans than that 

That's an awful response 

• Like 1

Talksport asked for an explanation as to why it was 6k tickets each to the EL final, UEFAs response was they thought that baku airport and the infrastructure of the city isn't in place to accommodate more travelling football fans than that 

That's an awful response 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's an awful response 

Maybe Arsenal and Chelsea should say that in this eco-friendly age it is unacceptable to have their fans fly so far and just have the game at Wembley. 

The worst thing about it is UEFA and their mates have known they were going there for over a year and as such hotels and flights are sorted way in advance, the fans are now fighting over the scraps of what is left 

95% of the 3 a week or whatever it is flights from London will be taken up by men in suits on a jolly who booked the flight in 2018

Edited by villa4europe

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's an awful response 

Why is the final in Baku?

shutterstock_129406271-390x285.jpg

Â