The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

the cynic in me says that rather than them having several kids floating around the 1st team that ultimately don't make it (which PSG have the luxury of doing, they usually have 4/5 youngsters per season in the squad) and being sold for 5m they can send them to the inflated world of English football so when they don't make the cut at PSG they are still sellable but at a higher rate, use the championship to put them in a more lucrative shop window, whilst at the same time the standard is higher

If PSG's owners had bought us last summer and sent us adli, weah, nkunku instead of us getting Abraham, carroll and tuanzebe then I doubt we would have moaned too much, if we'd have got lo celso...

zagadou went to Dortmund on a free with a fee of 125k having to be paid, send him to the championship for a year and you can pretty much guarantee that doesn't happen

• 2 weeks later...

the FA have announced that they will be providing non alcoholic champagne at the FA cup final for religious and cultural reasons

cant believe they are so naive to blow their trumpet in this manner

• they dont have to announce it they could have just done it and no one watching would have noticed
  • they could have said it was because the players drinking no longer reflects the modern game and the players didnt want it
  • they sold the naming rights to the FA cup to a alcohol company 2 years back i think? Last month they announced bud as the womens national teams official beer partner, a deal they already have with the mens team

its not bullshit because of the PC world gone mad right wing nonsense that is following the news, its bullshit because of the FA and how they've done it

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the FA have announced that they will be providing non alcoholic champagne at the FA cup final for religious and cultural reasons

cant believe they are so naive to blow their trumpet in this manner

• they dont have to announce it they could have just done it and no one watching would have noticed
  • they could have said it was because the players drinking no longer reflects the modern game and the players didnt want it
  • they sold the naming rights to the FA cup to a alcohol company 2 years back i think? Last month they announced bud as the womens national teams official beer partner, a deal they already have with the mens team

its not bullshit because of the PC world gone mad right wing nonsense that is following the news, its bullshit because of the FA and how they've done it

Ross McCormack will never be motivated to win a trophy now......

Let them, give it 3 years before games played in empty sradiums. I wouldnt want Villa to be apart of it

For all Champions League flaws some big games are rare. United vs Barcelona didmt play in nearly a decade. Liverpool vs Bayerm even longer. People will get bored of it soon enough especially if a big team like United or Milan is whipping boys

• Like 2

I'd rather just **** the "Big Six" off altogether. Let them have their European Super League and the teams they "leave behind" can fight it out for a proper English Championship. The disparity is so great now I don't think they'd be missed and the league would be so much more competitive. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I'd rather just **** the "Big Six" off altogether. Let them have their European Super League and the teams they "leave behind" can fight it out for a proper English Championship. The disparity is so great now I don't think they'd be missed and the league would be so much more competitive. 

Thing is, if the money in the English game remained the same, another big 6 would just emerge and we'd have the same situation.

I guess the advantage would be someone else could be part of it.

But then again I guess the danger is the money in the English game disappears because the focus is on the European league

I love the assumption from them that the big 6 would all be invited to join...

a league with 6 English clubs, 2 la liga, 4 serie a and so on, wont happen, the "what are you bringing to the table" conversation will be interesting because I think spurs shiny new stadium is one thing but their global fanbase and revenue they generate (without the PL cash) is another

3 London teams?

city would buy their place in it via their ability to sponsor themselves and inflate market value along with PSG

Liverpool have the fanbase but not won the league in how long? what are arsenal doing right now? utd and Chelsea have also gone a bit shit, spurs are riding the wave but stil not actually done anything yet

like I said it would be interesting! I don't think all 6 would get in, especially if it meant the exclusion of other countries teams, there is definitely an imbalance, you could argue that juve, inter, milan, Napoli, roma and Lazio are all "big" clubs too, what do you do with sevilla and Valencia? 

Its interesting if it is 16 teams how they would choose them. Rough draft for me would be below. Probably missing somebody but think 1st 14 be near guaranteed with another French team thrown in for a "derby". Last spot could be anybody Benfica, Porto, Ajax, Roma is no huge team but I just put RB in as have the money to buy a spot

Real Madrid

Barcelona

Atletico

Bayern

Dortmund

Juventus

Inter 

Milan

Man Utd

Liverpool

Chelsea

Spurs

City

Arsenal

Lyon

RB Leipzig

you missed off PSG! lyon have a lot more good recent history than they are given credit for and the shame is they have some good young talent at the moment that they will be stripped of, Marseille would probably have a winge about not being the 2nd French team though

i tried 20 teams and had ajax, Napoli, Benfica and Porto in there, the 3rd German team is hard because there's no consistency, schalke / Leverkusen / RB

but 16 teams and 6 of them are English? 40% of the competition comes from England? that wont happen!

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you missed off PSG! lyon have a lot more good recent history than they are given credit for and the shame is they have some good young talent at the moment that they will be stripped of, Marseille would probably have a winge about not being the 2nd French team though

i tried 20 teams and had ajax, Napoli, Benfica and Porto in there, the 3rd German team is hard because there's no consistency, schalke / Leverkusen / RB

but 16 teams and 6 of them are English? 40% of the competition comes from England? that wont happen!

I had PSG I must have deleted them ha

So at age 24, in his 7th season as a pro Raheem Sterling is awarded "Young player of the season" in the PL.

Really should change the rules for that one. Not that Sterling doesn't deserve an award, he's been great.

• Like 2

james milner will be gutted

needs to be closer to the rookie of the year award, maybe change it to "breakthrough" or something like that and then you're talking the palace RB, Maddison maybe Harvey barnes etc

as it is its just a 2nd place in the main vote safety net, sterling should have beat VVD but its ok cos he can still get young player

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sne said:

So at age 24, in his 7th season as a pro Raheem Sterling is awarded "Young player of the season" in the PL.

Really should change the rules for that one. Not that Sterling doesn't deserve an award, he's been great.

Yes hes been around too long to be classed as a young player. I except also he has had a great season but the football writers naming him as their player of the year is a nonsense.

Â