The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Any act of protest carries with it some degree of risk. It doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do. 

true enough mate...but at least if I was a cop ..i'd simply ask 'em to point to Armenia on a map..Its easy to get outraged for the sake of it.

I honestly know nowt about the situation...but I wouldn't spend a grand and a two day journey and risk it on something I knew nowt about.

Fair play to any fan who understands the situation and is doing it for something they think is is right....not many of them tho' I reckon.

It also says something about the whole fiasco when 2 "big" clubs send so many tickets back....

On 25/05/2019 at 06:21, Dr_Pangloss said:

Saudi Arabia, a hot bed of Wahhabism and Dawah, two interrelated and disgraceful/ dangerous ideas, to host world cup games? Disgusting thought, glad it's not happening.

Agreed. I'd like to point out though that Da'wah simply means proselytization which I'd say is antithetical to Wahhabism and the goals of Saudi Arabia. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It is, to be blunt, an absolute disgrace that a player has been told that they cannot play in a match of this magnitude because the host country cannot guarantee their safety. There is no possible excuse for this. It doesn't matter that 'everybody knows', it doesn't matter that 'it's antagonising people', tough shit. If they want to host matches like this, then they need to guarantee the safety of players and spectators. There's no ifs and buts to that. 

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you’re saying it doesn’t mean that I don’t find it a bit stupid to spend a load of money to walk around antagonising people in a country where tensions are already high.

Completely agree that it shouldn’t be an issue but why run the risk if you’re not achieving anything with your “protest” and as others have said when many people probably have little understanding of the inticracies of the situation? 

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It is, to be blunt, an absolute disgrace that a player has been told that they cannot play in a match of this magnitude because the host country cannot guarantee their safety. There is no possible excuse for this. It doesn't matter that 'everybody knows', it doesn't matter that 'it's antagonising people', tough shit. If they want to host matches like this, then they need to guarantee the safety of players and spectators. There's no ifs and buts to that. 

While I agree with you in principle, I think it's a bit of an optimistic way of looking at things.

How do you guarantee anyone's safety? Was Grealish guaranteed safety? Are black players guaranteed safety from racist abuse? And these two examples are in our own backyard that we like to believe is safe and civilised.

This is just revolting. The rich get richer, it was ever thus, but quarter of a billion pounds? 

The step up between the championship and premier league money shows just how big a job any promoted side has, trying to build a squad good enough to stay up with such disgustingly imbalanced funds. 

as I said in the Liverpool thread FFP in all its glory

not exactly "fair" is it? and that's before you factor in the negotiating power during sponsorship negotiations and the fanbase growth

take wolves as an example, doing things right, trying to compete and work their way up the table, mega rich owners, earned 100m less than the teams they are chasing in TV money alone

In a shocking move super agent Mino Raiola's suspension has been overturned 🙄 

Clearing the way for players like De Ligt, Pogba and Donnarumma to move this summer.

Truly a shocking surprise to absolutely no one.

Know a lot of leagues have sponsor names in them but the new Ligue 1 name doesn't really roll off the tongue does it.

"Ligue 1 Uber Eats"

Barclays Premier League or La Liga Santander works a bit better.

On 12/06/2019 at 20:42, villa4europe said:

Paid off already with social media currently going nuts with "how shit does that sound"

Probably more exposure from people complaining than the league would get 

Probably works better in French when "Eats" isn't a french word.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Figured it must have been a joke but no, they’re actually doing it from a random Morrison’s......brilliant.

Am I giving them too much credit in thinking this is a joke at themselves for having the last couple of draws in China and Korea or wherever it was they had them?

Â