The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

The downfall of the last attempt was it being a 39th game for which the logistics would would work

If Wembley wasn't a cash cow the charity shield would be long gone by now maybe a cup final too

Wonder if they've ever thought of reinventing an Anglo Italian esque cup with MLS teams as a spin on it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Should have let them have their Super League. It’s happening step by step in all but name anyways. 

From the article:

At present, 14 of the Premier League’s current 20 sides appear keen to participate. The intentions of the so-called “Big Six” are less clear, but there is optimism that at least one of them would decide to join the project.

This seems like exactly the sort of bullshit we'll be more than happy to go along with to extract maximum brand value 🤮

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

From the article:

This seems like exactly the sort of bullshit we'll be more than happy to go along with to extract maximum brand value 🤮

Ugh. The Americanisation of the game is grotesque. Sad that we are happy to go along with it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Managers moan about too many games and then jet off overseas for money spinning ones. Can't have it both ways but they're determined to try. 

Sadly it won't be 'more' games - it'll be the same amount of games as now, but we'll have to watch one of our home games a season on the telly in the middle of the night.

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Managers moan about too many games and then jet off overseas for money spinning ones. Can't have it both ways but they're determined to try. 

I doubt the managers are overly keen on any of this kind of shit.

Its the suits upstairs driving it all, obvs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sadly it won't be 'more' games - it'll be the same amount of games as now, but we'll have to watch one of our home games a season on the telly in the middle of the night.

Safe to say that won't be happening

I know the NFL do manage it that way but can you imagine if villa got relegated by 1 point having lost a "home" game to Leicester in Las Vegas or some shit

I'm also not convinced about the whole concept, the NFL and American sports in general benefit from the cyclical nature that has been killed in the PL, teams like the bears, vikings, packers, 49ers have a big following in the UK as they are traditional teams, are villa and forest selling 90k tickets in LA? I don't see it, instead I see lopsided games vs top 6 teams or top 6 vs top 6 with us being told everyone benefits when in reality we don't

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Ugh. The Americanisation of the game is grotesque. Sad that we are happy to go along with it. 

Unfortunately, these might be things we have to do to even just stay afloat and compete when other clubs are able to somehow sell space on a single thread of their shirt for 100 million

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Unfortunately, these might be things we have to do to even just stay afloat and compete when other clubs are able to somehow sell space on a single thread of their shirt for 100 million

I don't see it, if all 20 PL teams play in the states then the big 6 will just get bigger, if its a random 2 teams playing then the PL will send one of the big 6 over first and again they will just get bigger

Even if villa played Everton or someone like that in LA or New York I'd still be of thr opinion that the PL would be the big winners and the big 6 would see more growth than us

With how the PL and these clubs are set up I just don't see any scenario where we see more growth than them

• Like 1

Not a fan of Klopp at all but him getting pelters and accused of racism for saying PSG, Man City and Newcastle now have effectively unlimited spending power is absolutely ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is Howe coming out with comments like 'people should be careful with their comments and opinions'?! What like Jamal Kashoggi should have been? Are the head choppers gonna knock your door down at 3am otherwise? 

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Not a fan of Klopp at all but him getting pelters and accused of racism for saying PSG, Man City and Newcastle now have effectively unlimited spending power is absolutely ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is Howe coming out with comments like 'people should be careful with their comments and opinions'?! What like Jamal Kashoggi should have been? Are the head choppers gonna knock your door down at 3am otherwise? 

Yeah there's a lot of sticks to beat klopp with, his comments and abrasiveness should be commented on, discussed and ultimately curtailed

But the racism angle isn't the one

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Not really - Klopp made comments after he misinterpreted something that Dan Ashworth said.  That's all Howe meant about "being careful".

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Not really - Klopp made comments after he misinterpreted something that Dan Ashworth said.  That's all Howe meant about "being careful".

Never heard it first person, I read an article that implied he said about criticism of the Saudi's/club ownership 

Â