January transfer window 2018

Jareth

The point about the size of the wage bill is relevant although this is also where our big club mentality becomes less about history and more about facts. Strip the prize money away from the equation and we have always been one of the 10 biggest clubs in the country based on turnover. Hence when we were getting the premier league money we could afford a bit more than others around us. That we invested it unwisely was the problem and is one which still haunts us.

I'd love a whole bunch of players to leave in this window. Unfortunately as we are all well aware of and unfortunately all far too used to over the last 10 years it's the ones we'd like to leave that aren't going anywhere quick. Richards (18 months left) and Gabby (6months left) are leeching money at this point. And that's not an attack on them as individuals - they each have their own threads for that - but they are contributing nothing. Gil into the last year of his contract, Gollini, Gardner and McCormack with 2 years left are all going to have to be offloaded in the summer if their careers with us are over.

Along with Gabby we have 7 other players not yet contracted to us beyond this year namely Bunn, Hutton, Samba, Terry, Snodgrass, Onomah and Johnstone. Should we fail to go up and the savings really start to bite that's a huge amount of the wage bill wiped off assuming we are paying handsomely for the loanees and that, with the exception of Bunn, they all must be some of the higher earners here.

Along with Richards - unless any of them leave - we will still have a year on the contracts of Jedinak, Whelan, Elphick, DeLaet, Steer, Lyden and Green. Decisions to make there - some easy like getting Green signed up if possible - some that will be easier when we know our fate. DeLaet, Steer and Elphick could all have parts to play next season should we fail to go up this year and other leave. Jedinak and Whelan won't gettting any younger and Lyden can't seem to stay fit.

After them I hope Kodjia gets fit again to join Chester, Grealish, Adomah, Elmohamady, Taylor and Hourihane to give it one more push next season. apart from the youngsters coming through like Davis, RHM and the others that leaves Bjarnason, Lansbury, Hogan (all 2021) and Tshibola (2020) left to discuss. Tshibola just looks like a mistake and we should try to cut our losses imo. Hogan's worth relies heavily on him staying fit and scoring some goals. BB and Lansbury could well have their uses. Neither has excelled here so far it's fair to say and I doubt many people would be too upset if they left. Lansbury is alledgedly on a fairly sizeable contract too. Probably far too much for a squad player anyway.

Should we fail to go up trimming the squad and looking for a new 'spine' GK - DC - MC - ST will be the order of the day I reckon. The nightmare scenario is Kodjia doesn't come back, Green wont sign a new contract and selling Grealish this summer - with 2 years left to run on his contract - becomes our only way out of this mess.

Of course we can just get promoted and then we're back living the dream ;)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

The point about the size of the wage bill is relevant although this is also where our big club mentality becomes less about history and more about facts. Strip the prize money away from the equation and we have always been one of the 10 biggest clubs in the country based on turnover. Hence when we were getting the premier league money we could afford a bit more than others around us. That we invested it unwisely was the problem and is one which still haunts us.

I'd love a whole bunch of players to leave in this window. Unfortunately as we are all well aware of and unfortunately all far too used to over the last 10 years it's the ones we'd like to leave that aren't going anywhere quick. Richards (18 months left) and Gabby (6months left) are leeching money at this point. And that's not an attack on them as individuals - they each have their own threads for that - but they are contributing nothing. Gil into the last year of his contract, Gollini, Gardner and McCormack with 2 years left are all going to have to be offloaded in the summer if their careers with us are over.

Along with Gabby we have 7 other players not yet contracted to us beyond this year namely Bunn, Hutton, Samba, Terry, Snodgrass, Onomah and Johnstone. Should we fail to go up and the savings really start to bite that's a huge amount of the wage bill wiped off assuming we are paying handsomely for the loanees and that, with the exception of Bunn, they all must be some of the higher earners here.

Along with Richards - unless any of them leave - we will still have a year on the contracts of Jedinak, Whelan, Elphick, DeLaet, Steer, Lyden and Green. Decisions to make there - some easy like getting Green signed up if possible - some that will be easier when we know our fate. DeLaet, Steer and Elphick could all have parts to play next season should we fail to go up this year and other leave. Jedinak and Whelan won't gettting any younger and Lyden can't seem to stay fit.

After them I hope Kodjia gets fit again to join Chester, Grealish, Adomah, Elmohamady, Taylor and Hourihane to give it one more push next season. apart from the youngsters coming through like Davis, RHM and the others that leaves Bjarnason, Lansbury, Hogan (all 2021) and Tshibola (2020) left to discuss. Tshibola just looks like a mistake and we should try to cut our losses imo. Hogan's worth relies heavily on him staying fit and scoring some goals. BB and Lansbury could well have their uses. Neither has excelled here so far it's fair to say and I doubt many people would be too upset if they left. Lansbury is alledgedly on a fairly sizeable contract too. Probably far too much for a squad player anyway.

Of course we can just get promoted and then we're back living the dream ;)

Great post Marv.

I feel if we are promoted back to the PL there will be an overhaul on the entire squad.

The loans that we have signed will end, players out of contract leaving and then there is the ones that remain that also will need sold/shipped out/contracts terminated etc.

Loans ending: Johnstone, Onomah, Snodgrass.

Out of contract: Bunn, Terry, Samba, Agbonlahor, Hutton

Players already leaving: Amavi, Gollini, Gil

Remainder that should be sold/offloaded: Richards, Elphick, De Laet, Taylor, McCormack, Tshibola, Bree, Jedinak, Whelan, Thor, Lyden, Lansbury, Hogan.

Look at loaning out: O'Hare, Davis, Green, Hepburn-Murphy, Suliman to teams in the championship.

That scenario would leave us with Steer, Chester, Elmo, Houihane, Grealish, Adomah, Kodja to build a new team on top of under the right manager.

Again this is all hypothecially speaking if we where to be promoted this season.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great post Marv.

I feel if we are promoted back to the PL there will be an overhaul on the entire squad.

The loans that we have signed will end, players out of contract leaving and then there is the ones that remain that also will need sold/shipped out/contracts terminated etc.

Remainder that should be sold/offloaded: Richards, Elphick, De Laet, Taylor, McCormack, Tshibola, Bree, Jedinak, Whelan, Thor, Lyden, Lansbury, Hogan.

Look at loaning out: O'Hare, Davis, Green, Hepburn-Murphy, Suliman to teams in the championship.

That scenario would leave us with Steer, Chester, Elmo, Houihane, Grealish, Adomah, Kodja to build a new team on top of under the right manager.

Again this is all hypothecially speaking if we where to be promoted this season.

With all due respect Rigo that means you would get rid of the whole squad and reinvest in a new side. that A costs a hell of  alot of money B and as we know is dangerous leading to relegation. 

personally i dont think we need a huge turnover of players. Hogan I think could actually be good in premier league. I would not renew any of the players out of contract (terry wont premier league so no point keeping him although id love to offer him a coaching role maybe something like u21s get rid of K Mac) 

I would not loan any of those youngsters you have mentioned id keep them here (maybe suliman) 

no one is taking richards and tish so we are stuck with them. id say id get rid of bjarnason, gollini, mccormack elphick and whelan

also i think we might get a big offer for adomah  if he continues form a championship club will make  a offer. if thats a case if consider selling as he isnt very good for premier league 

Edited by Demitri_C

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sadly he has never shown that form again anywhere he has played and I don't expect it will suddenly return again even if he did come here on loan - which also I don't think will be happening either.

Come on man he scored 17 goals just last season. Wasnt his best for us 19? 

Regardless, Its not happening. Cant believe a twitter account with 11 followers has given people something to discuss!

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Regardless, Its not happening. Cant believe a twitter account with 11 followers has given people something to discuss!

I agree and despite peoples mixed views on the player I highly doubt the move will happen anyway.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Oh, I see! So that's why your not discussing it?

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great post Marv.

Turning over that many players has been what we've doing for the last few years and it has a very negative affect especially last year, if you think about it we had a massive squad overhaul in the last 3 windows (not counting the current one) and it's taken till now to really bed everyone in. We do need to get rid of people who are surplas to requirements such as Richards, McCormack, Tshibola etc. but we should really be keeping the spine of our team. Buying Johnstone is a must, if we don't go up we need to buy snoddy but if we do we should look for someone new on that right wing as he is a championship player.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I disagree with this list. I think De Laet, Taylor & Jedinak should be kept, as they all have Prem experience and have never disgraced themselves here or in the Prem. Bree, Hogan (and potentially Lansbury) I would keep as rotation options for the Prem. The others I would be happy to sell, although it’s probably unlikely that someone will take Richards with his current wage.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great post Marv.

Half of your get rid list should be kept. We should do everything possible to sign Johnstone and Snodgrass if the price isnt to high. By not decimating your squad you’ve got a base to improve on the next you can get rid once replaced. Taylor for example would be a good number 2 LB. A lot of our current squad will go but just not next summer. 

I agree the spine needs to remain in the squad if we go up, but Terry won't stay (didn't want to play against Chelsea this year, so won't want to next either. Plus he'll be 38...). Whelan (in particular) and Jedinak dont look like they could handle the PL now - that's 3 important signings to be made if we went up.

Then when you add the players we know will probably go regardless of the division we're in (Hutton, Gabby, Onomah, Elphick, Samba, Bjarnasson, Tshibola, McCormack) then it's going to need a reasonable influx of players. Those I listed there don't all need replacing, but we'd need 4 or 5 to do so maybe?

4 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I agree the spine needs to remain in the squad if we go up, but Terry won't stay (didn't want to play against Chelsea this year, so won't want to next either. Plus he'll be 38...). Whelan (in particular) and Jedinak dont look like they could handle the PL now - that's 3 important signings to be made if we went up.

Then when you add the players we know will probably go regardless of the division we're in (Hutton, Gabby, Onomah, Elphick, Samba, Bjarnasson, Tshibola, McCormack) then it's going to need a reasonable influx of players. Those I listed there don't all need replacing, but we'd need 4 or 5 to do so maybe?

I think Hutton, Thor (depending how he plays) and Elphick will stay end of the season, but yes we will need a influx of players.

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

I think Terry has said more recently he'd be open to playing against Chelsea now - but I'm not exactly sure where I've got that from so it could be made up! (Also, he could surely just miss the games against them if he was that bothered...)

I think he could cut it for another season in the PL and would be worth holding onto even as a squad player for the other qualities he brings.

Edited by fightoffyour

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This isn't fifa, you can't just get rid of a whole squad especially one that has just been promoted then replace them all and get them to gel within the 5 weeks before the season begins! Taylor, jedinak, landsbury would be decent squad players for a promoted side.bree has been signed for the future,  I can see hogan doing good in the prem providing he finishes this season strong and all them youngsters are good enough to be part of the squad even if we got promoted. 

Your last post was also rediculous when you said benteke was "utter shite" 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

This isn't fifa, you can't just get rid of a whole squad especially one that has just been promoted then replace them all and get them to gel within the 5 weeks before the season begins! Taylor, jedinak, landsbury would be decent squad players for a promoted side.bree has been signed for the future,  I can see hogan doing good in the prem providing he finishes this season strong and all them youngsters are good enough to be part of the squad even if we got promoted. 

Your last post was also rediculous when you said benteke was "utter shite" 

Bruces post relegation interview next year sorted.

:ph34r:

13 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great post Marv.

Dont see why we cant keep these players next season if we did go up. We cant just get rid of everyone. Doesnt work like that. 

Johnstone and Snodgrass would sign for us if we went up. SJ wont go back to be 3rd choice. Snoddy hates West Ham. 

Terry is a tough one.. he did say if we went up.. he may have to consider it.. i think he will play and just be left out of Chelsea games as if it was  a loan move. Or hed just get over it and be a pro and play against them. Cant see him retiring. USA maybe?

Gil - probably doesnt want to come back but since we would be back in Premier League.. maybe he may (spewing we sold Veretout.. ) Either way we cant keep loaning him. Either sell or bring back. 

Elphick De Laet Bree Jedinak Thor Lansbury Hogan.. good squad players. they will be used in cup games/rotation or used if their form is good. Despite keeping the players i mentioned.. still leaves us with quite a few players to sign to keep us competitive. 

Steer, Chester, Elmo, Houihane, Grealish, Adomah, Kodja - with the exception of Chester/Elmo - these players arent even proven at Premier League level..... so its a big ask to stay up.