January transfer window 2018

Jareth

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Maybe I am wrong......But I can't remember a managers name being mentioned with so many aspects of the club that this guy does.

you see if you had of said " I think Solanke would suit US better" I could understand it.

This obsession with Bruce is whats forcing some of us to defend him.

I don't think that line in the way you have worded it would be rolled out with any other manager.

Probably not, but Bruce literally only plays one style, and if he is our manager, we have to go for the players to suit that style. 

Hogan was one of the best strikers in the championship before Bruce signed him. Now Hogan is toothless and looks terrible.

Hourihane was the top goal scoring midfielder when we signed him, not he has 3 goals and those came when Bruce actually played him in his natural spot. 

Bruce can't play a passing style. He needs a target man up top. He refuses to adapt his "tactics", so instead the club has to adapt with its signings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Probably not, but Bruce literally only plays one style, and if he is our manager, we have to go for the players to suit that style. 

Hogan was one of the best strikers in the championship before Bruce signed him. Now Hogan is toothless and looks terrible.

Hourihane was the top goal scoring midfielder when we signed him, not he has 3 goals and those came when Bruce actually played him in his natural spot. 

Bruce can't play a passing style. He needs a target man up top. He refuses to adapt his "tactics", so instead the club has to adapt with its signings. 

yawn!!!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I agree with points 2 & 3 that you raise here.

It is very frustrating for us as fans, how must it feel for the players affected.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, vreitti said:

Wouldn't it be great if we just bought all the outstanding performers form the other teams...

...oh wait we did this already last January. That sure worked out great.

Yeah

great Idea

we could play them out of position

give them jobs/tasks to do that they are not physically built for

we could also play them occasionally in their prefered/best position, maybe they could score a hattrick so that we know they were a good buy, then put them 20yrds further back so they were unable to do it again

we could just of course use them in the blame game deflecting the fault away from the manager

oh man, now that would be hysterical

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves speaking to Bournamouth about Grabban, guess that rules us out. To be honest I would prefer Ulloa on loan than him

I would also have Ulloa as first choice to bring in.

He is a proper grafter and digs in. He is just what we need.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would also have Ulloa as first choice to bring in.

He is a proper grafter and digs in. He is just what we need.

You definitely know its a new day Rigo when we are agreeing :mrgreen:

Absolutely he would be my number one choice and a different striker to what we have. 

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

Who ever it is I hope we get him in early.  At least if it goes wrong we can make amends later in the window.

a la - Buying Elmo for Adomahs position -> loaning Snod for Elmo

20 minutes ago, striker said:

This is exactly the point I was trying to make in the Hogan thread.

Unless Bruce chooses to change tactics (not likely but I live in hope) then any striker coming in has to be a target man who can hold the ball up to give Davis a rest.

There's just no point in bringing in another striker of the same ilk as Hogan because it would be Groundhog Day. 

1000 times this. I assume it's the reason that Bruce was pushing to get crouch in last summer. Our trademark hoofball is totally pointless if we don't have a player up top who can retain the ball and bring others into play. 

22 hours ago, TRO said:

Maybe I am wrong......

I agree

22 hours ago, TRO said:

But I can't remember a managers name being mentioned with so many aspects of the club that this guy does.  

Maybe because the things that some fans are most concerned about are directly his responsibilty

22 hours ago, TRO said:

you see if you had of said " I think Solanke would suit US better" I could understand it. 

the US being the way we play which is down to......?

22 hours ago, TRO said:

This obsession with Bruce is whats forcing some of us to defend him.  

The defending of someone who is failing to reach the desired target is your obsession

22 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think that line in the way you have worded it would be rolled out with any other manager.

Who is the first man out the door when thinks go south?

Are you suggesting it should be different at AVFC?

• Like 1

The problem is, in the increasingly unlikely possibility that we get promoted, we will be set up for hoofball, which is completely out dated and unsuitable for the PL. Ok it will always be a rebuild job, but at this rate we will need to completely start again and all those players will of course need months and months to settle in again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The problem is, in the increasingly unlikely possibility that we get promoted, we will be set up for hoofball, which is completely out dated and unsuitable for the PL. Ok it will always be a rebuild job, but at this rate we will need to completely start again and all those players will of course need months and months to settle in again.

This is an excellent point and one which i'm concerned about too if promoted.

I actually thought before the season started that Villa wouldn't have to conduct a complete rebuild if they found themselves in the Premiership next season and posted as such. Decent spine to the team to survive in the lower echelons of the Premiership with several additions, then push on the following season.

I thought Villa would walk the Championship this season or at the very least be able secure that automatic second spot. They may still secure that second place but I have been generally shocked at the standard of football Villa are churning out at the moment which leaves me doubting that second place is attainable.

Presently I feel Villa will probably nab the last play off spot and then its in the lap of the Gods whether they achieve promotion. If they do go up and play the same way, even with further additions to the squad with the same manager I'm not sure it's going to be good enough to stop Villa coming straight back down again?  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, striker said:

I actually thought before the season started that Villa wouldn't have to conduct a complete rebuild if they found themselves in the Premiership next season and posted as such. Decent spine to the team to survive in the lower echelons of the Premiership with several additions, then push on the following season.

I thought Villa would walk the Championship this season or at the very least be able secure that automatic second spot. They may still secure that second place but I have been generally shocked at the standard of football Villa are churning out at the moment which leaves me doubting that second place is attainable.

Presently I feel Villa will probably nab the last play off spot and then its in the lap of the Gods whether they achieve promotion. If they do go up and play the same way, even with further additions to the squad with the same manager I'm not sure it's going to be good enough to stop Villa coming straight back down again?  

Spot on

25 minutes ago, striker said:

Agreed, and if we do stumble up through the play-offs, it's essential Bruce is moved on once the week's celebrations are over.

He'll cry and whinge but can go off to his media pals for a few months and laugh about how silly Villa for sacking him.

Why do we have a manager in charge currently if the plan is to immediately sack him once promoted? That makes no sense. If he isn't good enough to be our manager in the premier league, then why is he good enough to be our manager now? 

I am not a bruce hater, nor am I on the pro-bruce train, but if we don't trust this man to be our manager in the premier league, then why are we wasting our time with him as our manager now?

Also Bruce's constant dependence on hoof ball is hurting us now. If we have to make our signings to suit that playing style, and then go up and have to switch to a new playing style, we suddenly have numerous players that no longer fit the way we play. Then we are signing new players again, and essentially starting over. If Bruce's playing style doesn't work in the top division, he needs to go now. We can't say we will deal with it then. 

• Thanks 1