January transfer window 2018

Jareth

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Why do we have a manager in charge currently if the plan is to immediately sack him once promoted? That makes no sense. If he isn't good enough to be our manager in the premier league, then why is he good enough to be our manager now? 

I am not a bruce hater, nor am I on the pro-bruce train, but if we don't trust this man to be our manager in the premier league, then why are we wasting our time with him as our manager now?

Also Bruce's constant dependence on hoof ball is hurting us now. If we have to make our signings to suit that playing style, and then go up and have to switch to a new playing style, we suddenly have numerous players that no longer fit the way we play. Then we are signing new players again, and essentially starting over. If Bruce's playing style doesn't work in the top division, he needs to go now. We can't say we will deal with it then. 

I was under the impression he was hired to do a job - Get us promoted.

Just like they said we would need 3 different teams in the future. 1 to get us promoted, 1 to establish us in the PL, and 1 to challenge.

Bruce is on a rolling contact so anytime we cancel his contract he's entitled to 1 year salary. Think that's fair compensation.

Hiring Bruce to build something long term would be a mistake, as would letting him rebuild and manage our squad should we get promoted IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

I was under the impression he was hired to do a job - Get us promoted.

Just like they said we would need 3 different teams in the future. 1 to get us promoted, 1 to establish us in the PL, and 1 to challenge.

Bruce is on a rolling contact so anytime we cancel his contract he's entitled to 1 year salary. Think that's fair compensation.

Hiring Bruce to build something long term would be a mistake, as would letting him rebuild and manage our squad should we get promoted IMO.

We're investing a lot of money into a guy who was meant to just last a year. 

We are playing a risky game if that is plan. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Why do we have a manager in charge currently if the plan is to immediately sack him once promoted? That makes no sense. If he isn't good enough to be our manager in the premier league, then why is he good enough to be our manager now? 

I am not a bruce hater, nor am I on the pro-bruce train, but if we don't trust this man to be our manager in the premier league, then why are we wasting our time with him as our manager now?

Also Bruce's constant dependence on hoof ball is hurting us now. If we have to make our signings to suit that playing style, and then go up and have to switch to a new playing style, we suddenly have numerous players that no longer fit the way we play. Then we are signing new players again, and essentially starting over. If Bruce's playing style doesn't work in the top division, he needs to go now. We can't say we will deal with it then. 

In the business world it is not unusual to do this....

When a company is haemorrhaging money.....its is not unusual to bring in a CEO who has the broad church of skills i.e austerity and cost cutting....to target the task of getting back to break even.....which is usually the aim.

it is equally, not unusual , that when the ship is stable, for a style of CEO who has the skill base to take the company in to profit i.e Marketing and promotional skills....to be found and appointed.

It could be similar to us really.....but I don't know the thoughts of our hierarchy......just speculating.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

You raise the concer over a point which now is a „past point“

When the cycle started of:

Promotion asap =

RDM was appointed - invest in new players (selling as much of the old as possible)

Didn‘t work so we:

Sack

appoint Bruce - invest in new players (selling old players)

There was a clear intention of:

appoint & invest for promotion.

It didnt work last season so the board stay true to their original concept of „promotion asap“ for this season which may or may not work.

The board chose a method and are sticking to it.

It may work eventually or not at all

—————————————

The alternative was to attempt to build on a continuum that would (ideally) get us promoted with foundations to continue building on albeit at a higher level

As the now, we have no choice but to follow our leaders whether we agree with it or not.

So promotion this season with Bruce then sack him is an option.

*****note

This current rolling contract thing is not right in my eyes

Because

When SB took over it was in the hope that his 4 promotions record would become 5

Had that have happened I guess noone would even suggest not keeping Bruce for the „further year of that rolling one year“

What I dont get is

Bruce was kept on (me not agreeing with it doesnt change the fact)

If the „rolling“ is still in his contract and not a „1 year contract with an option to extend“ then he effectively gets a full years compensation for failing (if we indeed dont go up)

WTF?

With a 1yr contract (extention possible)

If we dont go up, the 1yr contract runs out, we dont have to sack him then fair‘s fair. He had his chance - failed - now he‘s free to go.

If the „rolling“ meant

He got us up - was sacked - 1yr compensation - I could live with that

If he got us up - was kept on - but couldnt hack it - he would be sacked (we would have to compensate - not that I would agree with that as a reward for failure goes against my logic)

There is also the possibility of Bruce taking us up - keeping us up - getting us into Europe - winning a cup - getting us into CL - winning the PL - winning the CL

However, I‘ll leave that theory out there for someone else to explain

6 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Also, this. He is following Dr Tony, as well as some other Villa players. Seems he’s on the way on loan. 

I would have preferred someone with more experience to hit the ground running, but he can take the burden off Davis.

Yeah it seems it could happen however remember that Portuguese player mcleish was going to sign amd revealed on facebook and then villa pulled the plug as mcleish was furious as wasnt done?

Swedish CB Alexander Milosevic will be available on a free transfer after cancelling his contract with Besiktas.

He's 25 and was considered a big talent when he left AIK 2.5 years ago.

Has had a rough time in Turkey and been loaned out to a few clubs in Germany and Turkey.

No idea how good he is now but he might be an cheap option in January, he is without a doubt better than Richards and Elphick. 

And a lot cheaper. Could be worth a gamble.

Think we might even have been linked to him back in the day before he moved to Besiktas?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Tall scottish striker, but basically no experience at all. Why would we sign him? 

Due to the fact we have spent dozens of millions on goalscorers but are still unable to actually pass a ball, cut teams open, create chances, or build any kind of system that would see a striker thrive.

So now the money has run out, and we are just looking for some 6ft 2 for the cheapest price.

"Get some **** snow on it!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I would love Flint of Bristol City but I think we missed the boat with that one now

Me too. If the reported fee in the summer was £6m, I'd imagine it would take close to £10m in January given Bristol City will have their own ambitions for promotion.