Red Dead Redemption 2

hogso

9 hours ago, Nigel said:

This!

Its not helped by the fact that the 'talk to' button and the shoot button are very similar.

Walked up the the sherrif to hand myself in for a 10 dollar fine only to shoot him in the face....well all hell broke loose then!

Yep this is one pretty big flaw that has got be into trouble several times.

My bounty is basically unpayable at this point.

I got to that big city, and the roads were so narrow. I accidentally knocked someone over, and immediately my bounty was raised. I didn't know what do to, so I ran to the train, and jumped on which raised my bounty even more. I road the train to get out of town, and numerous officers just sprinted into the train and killed themselves. I eventually just accepted my fate because my bounty kept going higher due to police suicides, and I killed myself. 

I've got my eye in with it now. It's still got issues - the controls are still awkward and convoluted and lead to errors and confusion every now and then. And it's too convoluted in itself and it's systems and it doesn't seem to explain them very well. And losing any pelts on your horse after death sucks (thankfully for legendary animals it acknowledges a kill even if you lose the pelt, you just can't sell the pelt as well).

I've spent the weekend pretty much hunting. The system there is far more layered than it used to be, for better and worse. Pelts are basically useless unless they're perfect, and not every animal has a perfect pelt to start with, and if you kill the animal incorrectly the pelt quality is reduced. By incorrectly that seems to mean a 1 shot kill with the right weapon. You can kill a rabbit with a single arrow, but it seems you have to use the varmint rifle to get a perfect kill. You also need to study each animal type once to them be able to tell whether a pelt is perfect in the first place.

Also the way pelts is used in crafting is slightly confusing. When you see the ingredients list, it doesn't mean you have the necessary parts, it means you've supplied the vendor with the bits it seems. Need perfect deer and boar pelts for that new jacket? Give the vendor those pelts first. You're basically the supplier to the shop.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Also the way pelts is used in crafting is slightly confusing. When you see the ingredients list, it doesn't mean you have the necessary parts, it means you've supplied the vendor with the bits it seems. Need perfect deer and boar pelts for that new jacket? Give the vendor those pelts first. You're basically the supplier to the shop.

The more you play the more that system makes sense. Most of the more "advanced" crafting items are impossible to get without needing several trips to the vendor. I think once I grabbed my first pelt that couldn't fit into my satchel the system clicked for me. 

It's incredible. 

After you start to get to grips with the controls and inventory you just get sucked into the amazingly detailed world. I spent an hour today just putting a mark on the opposite side of the map and using the cinematic view/follow path combo. It's absolutely breathtaking.

The biggest mistake so far was the first couple of hours which in comparison to the 'main game' were so bafflingly slow, cumbersome and banal. 

I am beginning to worry myself whilst playing though. It appears to have turned me into some kind of wild west version of Ted Bundy. I'm constantly finding people out on their own, murdering them, robbing them, hiding their bodies and selling their shiny things to the fence. I think I have issues ?

• Haha 1

It's clearly astounding, once you get your eye in with it. Some of the stuff it does is baffling - you have a specific button for picking up hats - but it's just so good when you get past that off-putting first layer.

14 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I am beginning to worry myself whilst playing though. It appears to have turned me into some kind of wild west version of Ted Bundy. I'm constantly finding people out on their own, murdering them, robbing them, hiding their bodies and selling their shiny things to the fence. I think I have issues ?

I think you only need to worry if you hide the bodies in a secluded spot in the mountains, return to them, do their hair and makeup as you wish and 'lie' with them ;)

• Haha 2

I’m being far too nice, I find it hard to be a bastard. I’m more of an idiot than a bastard in real life.

Is there any way to finish a fist fight without killing them? Seems a bit unfair to be on a murder charge when I’m just trying to defend myself.

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I’m being far too nice, I find it hard to be a bastard. I’m more of an idiot than a bastard in real life.

Is there any way to finish a fist fight without killing them? Seems a bit unfair to be on a murder charge when I’m just trying to defend myself.

Don't choke them. Just a beating will suffice!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I still haven't actually figured out what to do with pelts.  Do I keep them on more horse then donate them to Pearson?  Most I've had so far I've lost after dying.

Sell them to the trapper . You find him on the map by where you first go hunting for rabbits.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I still haven't actually figured out what to do with pelts.  Do I keep them on more horse then donate them to Pearson?  Most I've had so far I've lost after dying.

Store them on the back of the horse and try not to die, then either sell them to the Trapper or donate them to the camp. The Trapper has a store in Saint Denis and also has at least a couple of locations in the wilderness, one in the far West, North of Strawberry, and one North East of Emerald Ranch.

Selling them to the Trapper allows him to craft unique clothes and accessories. Donating them to the camp gives you access to things like Satchel upgrades, provided you've bought leather tools for the camp (via the donations ledger at Dutch's tent).

The important thing to bear in mind though - the only pelts that are actually useful are perfect ones. Poor and Good pelts are effectively useless as they raise pathetic amounts of money and can't be used for crafting. To get perfect pelts you have to find a 3 star animal and kill it in 1 hit with the correct weapon (and ammo type - killing a small animal with a normal arrow might ruin it, killing it with a small game arrow will maintain the quality for instance). 

The exception to that, kinda, is legendary pelts. They sell for a lot more money (still not loads mind), and you can't 'ruin' them - if you hunt a legendary animal you can kill it however you want and not affect anything about it. It seems that if you die while carrying a legendary pelt you'll lose the pelt to sell like normal but you can still use it to craft with, confusingly (probably because the legendary animals are 1 off kills).

• Like 2

Â