Red Dead Redemption 2

hogso

Digital foundry tech analysis & eurogamer tech comparisons. Xbox One X is the way to go with much higer resolution & better performance.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off?fbclid=IwAR1UG7ydLhOTOPDq2XluXP4BlAYUmQ40DXVhvBS7j0bedH2v3ldykFar5BA

At the top of the stack sits Xbox One X, rendering natively on ultra HD displays and looking magnificent. Taking the runner-up position here is PlayStation 4 Pro, which uses a reconstruction technique - likely checkerboarding - to take a native 1920x2160 framebuffer up to 4K.

A review I've read from a trusted source gave it 9/10. A little too easy with a lack of interactivity with the narrative being the main points for the dropped mark. On a positive note the writing seems to be improved from GTAV (plus all of the stuff already pointed out). Roll on midnight! 

Some reviews have focused on the scripted missions being a little frustrating. Apparently they have opted for a more Uncharted style cinematic presentation for quests which can leave the player failing the quest if they miss a cutscene trigger. It shouldn't be a huge issue, but it's something to watch out for when doing some of the games more set piece heavy quests. 

3 hours ago, Daweii said:

Some reviews have focused on the scripted missions being a little frustrating. Apparently they have opted for a more Uncharted style cinematic presentation for quests which can leave the player failing the quest if they miss a cutscene trigger. It shouldn't be a huge issue, but it's something to watch out for when doing some of the games more set piece heavy quests. 

Hmmmm that sounds like the sort of thing I really hate in games.

However, as long as they aren't too regular I'm sure I'll be able to put up with it.

Have to say it's been a long time since I was this excited to play a game. It does look like it could be close to a masterpiece.

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I'm hyped. Got a bottle of whisky, ordering a pizza, and just going to play for hours tomorrow after work. 

Work is going to be the longest day ever tomorrow.

Not sure what sony have done but seems to be a few reports of the base ps4 actually looking better than the pro running it on 4k screens.

Something really doesn't look right with the pro version and just jump to a little over 5 minutes in on the video below to see the difference on X/PRO, Most comparison vids look maybe a little different but this looks like different generations of console.

Played the first couple of hours or so. Slow paced, and I'm fine with that. It's honestly hard to comprehend some of the things you're looking at at times, it looks that good. 

I really like the 'RPG' elements too, they don't impose themself too much, not like those in GTA SA, for example. It's a really immersive experience, and those systems aid themselves to that. As annoying as it may be when you leave behind your long guns on a horse, I actually like that! 

Also, the companion app is available now too. You can use it for a hud-less game, as it'll display the map with your real time in game location, and there's access to the journals and stuff. Pretty neat. 

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Oh shit, really? I'm going to be awful at this.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't patched tbf. It's a little silly, but as I say, I don't mind it. 

No lasso between trees for me yet...but you never know? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Is it a silent game to play or does it make your fan work overtime?

Mine's ok. A bit of whirring but nothing major. 

I am obsessed with studying wildlife. It's my in game passion. 

Â