Red Dead Redemption 2

hogso

Some of the random encounters are just terrific. I played only for about an hour yesterday, and had some terrific experiences. One escaped convict led me to a house where...if you find him, check it out.

26 minutes ago, hogso said:

Some of the random encounters are just terrific. I played only for about an hour yesterday, and had some terrific experiences. One escaped convict led me to a house where...if you find him, check it out.

He's not the guy where you have to shoot the chains off his legs is he?  After freeing him I tried to talk to him but had my gun equip, which meant I pointed my gun at him and he legged it.

Those bloody controls!

Edited by Wainy316

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

He's not the guy where you have to shoot the chains off his legs is he?  After freeing him I tried to talk to him but had my gun equip, which meant I pointed my gun at him and he legged it.

Those bloody controls!

Oh no! Yes it is exactly that one. When I saw him he was standing in bushes, so I couldn't see the chain; fortunately though the auto aim locked on and that was that. Light spoilers below

Spoiler

I'll tell you exactly what the game does, no more, no less. There's an old drunk with some money tucked away in a house directly south of Rhodes, by the river. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hogso said:

Oh no! Yes it is exactly that one. When I saw him he was standing in bushes, so I couldn't see the chain; fortunately though the auto aim locked on and that was that. Light spoilers below

Hide contents

I'll tell you exactly what the game does, no more, no less. There's an old drunk with some money tucked away in a house directly south of Rhodes, by the river. 

Cool, cheers.  I'll pretend he told me that, although hope that dialogue isn't required to trigger it being there.

A tip if you want to get a leg up with cash early on (although this does kinda perhaps take some challenge away in the early game, it doesn't let you just go do what you want as things like some weapons seem to be gated behind mission progress)

Spoiler

Just South East of your camp there is a burnt out village. In the sheriff's building, look behind the desk and open the box there. There's a gold bar inside which you can sell for $500. This will let you buy the leather tools at camp, or do up Dutch's tent which then let's you do up your own to unlock fast travel.

There's another of these available early on which has a puzzle attached, which might be the worst thing I've experienced in the game so far

Spoiler

A hidden cave east of Donner Falls contains a bunch of statues. Interacting with the right statues in the right order opens up a stash of 5 gold bars. The solution is maddening, mostly because it's surprisingly awkward to see the details needed to work it out...

• Thanks 1

I can't stop hunting.

There are other things to do, but I can't stop looking for the next perfect pelt. I feel like I need to unlock all the craftible outfits. 

The wilderness is littered with the abandoned carcasses of zoos worth of creatures.

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

A tip if you want to get a leg up with cash early on (although this does kinda perhaps take some challenge away in the early game, it doesn't let you just go do what you want as things like some weapons seem to be gated behind mission progress)

Reveal hidden contents

Just South East of your camp there is a burnt out village. In the sheriff's building, look behind the desk and open the box there. There's a gold bar inside which you can sell for $500. This will let you buy the leather tools at camp, or do up Dutch's tent which then let's you do up your own to unlock fast travel.

There's another of these available early on which has a puzzle attached, which might be the worst thing I've experienced in the game so far

Reveal hidden contents

A hidden cave east of Donner Falls contains a bunch of statues. Interacting with the right statues in the right order opens up a stash of 5 gold bars. The solution is maddening, mostly because it's surprisingly awkward to see the details needed to work it out...

For anyone who wants more cash on top of the above

Spoiler

There are two gold bars hidden in the train wreck in the canyon below the large bridge north west of Fort Wallace

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Only managed to play this for about an hour so far but it all feels so clunky, the controls are stupid too.

But, hoping I get used to it. 

Didn't enjoy the first few hours at all.

Absolutely loving it now though so hopefully it'll click for you too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Didn't enjoy the first few hours at all.

Absolutely loving it now though so hopefully it'll click for you too.

Same here. The first few tasks are just set-up/instruction and don't reflect the rest of the game. I'm already losing out on sleep thanks to this game.

Echoing everything said, game is great. Some design choices are infuriating, as if they didn't make hunting enough of a chore having to then spend 15 minutes riding back across the map to go to a town capable of taking your goods only to then repeat the whole process is another level of frustrating. Rewards for hunting don't look to be particularly worth it either (Chaps aside) as gameplay bonuses are minimal, they're also not aesthetically very pleasing (-Chaps) so I find them a bit pointless for how well fleshed out it is.

The rest of my frustrations involve the horse. Maximum whistle ranges and manually taking guns from your horse are decisions made by somebody with very warped ideas of fun. It's charming the 1st few times you have to manually go and take your bow/repeater/rifle/shotgun from your horse, but when you're leaping off your horse mid mission to find you have nothing but your pistols and the repeater you start the game with it stops being charming.

If somebody figures out how to discard weapons please let me know.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Only managed to play this for about an hour so far but it all feels so clunky, the controls are stupid too.

But, hoping I get used to it. 

It'll click eventually. There are like 100 controls for everything Arthur can do which is awkward, but it offers a flexibility in the end that no other game aside from a mil-sim on PC can.

4 hours ago, hogso said:

For anyone who wants more cash on top of the above

Hide contents

There are two gold bars hidden in the train wreck in the canyon below the large bridge north west of Fort Wallace

There is also an unlimited gold bar glitch/exploit in Ch2 if you like that sort of thing and want to run around as a millionaire

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

There is also an unlimited gold bar glitch/exploit in Ch2 if you like that sort of thing and want to run around as a millionaire

I normally wouldn't advocate such things, but for those that want to nullify the convoluted bounty system it might be worth it. I won't be doing it as I already have close to $7000 organically via exploring and hunting, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone for financing their future rampages with an exploit. 

I imagine that exploit will be patched pretty soon, so anyone who does want to do it, do so soon. I personally wouldn't, I think there are enough opportunities to generate cash in your game without cheats.

To get money I just rob a stagecoach and sell it to the fence where you can get $40 a pop for not much effort . If the  bounty hunters come I just kill them all and rack up the pocket watches. You can make a few hundred relatively quickly . I've only done 20% because I have just been roaming around doing very little other than gawk at everything . 

Pretty sure a  random passer by called me a see you next Tuesday which was weird as I haven't encountered any other major swear words in the game .  That level of AI is impressive as he was quite correct with the remark. 

• Like 1

On 30/10/2018 at 11:12, choffer said:

I'm already spending way too much time playing poker. I've no idea why as the amounts I'm winning are paltry and there's so much to explore.

As in life, I should get out more.

I haven't played poker other than being forced into a hand and I won't waste another second at a game table when there's so much outside.

I've had a few baths though.(Deluxe service obviously)

Â