• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

That list is dire.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Coleman with a barge pole.

If we end up with any of those we will be back to square one in 6 months time.

It has to be someone like Jokanovic or someone completely left field that is currently employed and they also need to bring their current FULL backroom team with them.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I would be happy with De Boer. He has been hard done by at Palace. Could be a good chance to get the right man for the long term. 

He'll take a break now with that huge payout he'll get. It'll be difficult for him to find a premier league job now though.

39 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

6q9v1d.png

Hope it's not against rules to post betting info. Sorry if so. But times like this I want a feel for who the bookies think is amongst the light at the end of the tunnel. 

a truly inspiring list 

Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel
As the images unwind
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind

• Like 1

Lazy of them to leave Woy Hodgson as a backable bet after he has taken Palace job. But from that list I'm surprised they have Terry the outright favourite. 

Unless it's just baiting. Probably is. The house always wins I guess. On this thread a while back I sounded out King Olof of Sweden , I still think that. Just my opinion.

On 18/08/2017 at 19:39, Midfielder said:

Also, I respect the opinions of others and their wants for who the next manager would be in their eyes. Even if I disagree with them. 

Mine, Mellberg manager, Laursen assistant, or secondarily, Terry as player/ assistant manager. Yes, laugh away. However. My logic is this. 

The appointment of RDM didn't work. This, a man who (however it happened en route) was a Champions League Manager. Superb accolade. You'd think. Bad choice. 

The appointment of Bruce hasn't worked. A man, with several promotions and apparent "track record" but seemingly too old school and dinosaur taking us backward, stagnant at best. Not the right man.

Nkw for my choice. 

Mellberg, inexperienced yes. Only Bromma on CV. However. Having failed with the two managers above who make more sense than Mellberg in theory, what would Mellberg have in his corner, that would be worth the risk? 

Knows the club, despite it moving on since his time, deep down it's the same club. He is and will always be part of the tapestry. 

Progression. This is a man who will I'm sure manage a top division team in Europe in the near future and I don't think his career will go down the Solskjaer route. We could be the glove that fits. His career is on the up, minimal apprenticeship served, yes, but a promising candidate. He was a flawless captain and that carries forward for some, into management, the traits I mean.

Lionheart attitude. There's something infectious about Mellberg or his type of personality that we need. You could have all the experience of Steve Bruce and RDM and still not have a tenth of Mellbergs passion, work ethic. His organisation and drive. 

A risky appointment I don't disagree. However, one day, someone will take the job that actually gives a shit about this club, picks us up and drags us forward. Someone who learns from issues that emerge from our play and tweaks things to try to stamp it out. Someone progressive. Young. Hungry for success and as said, knows this club. Things like that also tie in to being a manager who feels the pulse of this club. 

Whatever people think of John Terry, he's here he is ours. A captain, like a manager on the pitch. We all remember that iconic photo of Terry on the touch line with RDM in the background... but Mellberg, a god level central defender with Terry available as captain? Well that fits too. I'm sure they'd have massive mutual respect and work well together. 

Some people believe in Jesus. I believe in Mellberg.

Yes whilst Bruce is in charge it is a thread about who we want, that's just my want above. Some will definitely think it is crazy but anybody here, who has ever been part of a selection panel or job interview panel, so frequently it is the case that the outside bet candidate, I mean the inexperienced one with all the fire and drive, many times over often proves to be the right choice.....:

Still think this above. Some will say it is too soon, his CV is too light. I can totally understand and respect that opinion. The above is mine I stand by it. Time for a younger candidate effectively with a progressive, problem solving attitude. Not just short termism but an appointment that combines the now / the future in one. 

Also again, light on CV maybe. But in the football industry over the years there are many success stories of plucking an up and coming manager from a lesser side or division and benefitting from their ethos and (unproven at that point) ability. Which brings me to suggest Graham Potter of Ostersunds as a second choice for me. I'm sure many will not have heard of him but to summarise his candidacy in one sentence: 

took a shit team, continually improving the club as they rose through the divisions, winning recognition to the point they are getting scalps in European football repeatedly against all odds. 

Someone at some point will snap him up and they'll prosper. Same with King OLof. So Potter as second but Mellberg as first choice. Progressive, young candidates that are the MIRROR OPPOSITE OF BRUCE. The opposite of Bruce would be just what the doctor ordered and couldn't be any worse at all than our current "manager". Plus they wouldn't come in and demand money to spend, they'd form a team from our current stock, build an ethos and identity and I'm sure get results. 

At present, we have no ethos nor identity nor.... the results. Night VT.

The more I think about it the more Moyes comes to mind.

People have mention his brand of Football but he only had cash to spare at Everton towards the back end of the reign he had there.

I honestly believe that Moyes will come in and he will take us up.

Round has worked with the U18 & U23's recruitment to bring better players into our 1st team.

Wyness, Round and Moyes were successful at Everton, no-one can debate that. 

I live in Liverpool, Everton were a shambles when he took over, he stopped them going down and built a team that slowly started to push back into the top 6.

Goodison is a shed but they were selling out most games, the fans are the judges and they judged with their arses on seats.

We didn't even have 30k on Sat, that speaks volumes for me.

14 minutes ago, Donniewyer said:

The more I think about it the more Moyes comes to mind.

People have mention his brand of Football but he only had cash to spare at Everton towards the back end of the reign he had there.

I honestly believe that Moyes will come in and he will take us up.

Round has worked with the U18 & U23's recruitment to bring better players into our 1st team.

Wyness, Round and Moyes were successful at Everton, no-one can debate that. 

I live in Liverpool, Everton were a shambles when he took over, he stopped them going down and built a team that slowly started to push back into the top 6.

Goodison is a shed but they were selling out most games, the fans are the judges and they judged with their arses on seats.

We didn't even have 30k on Sat, that speaks volumes for me.

If we were getting the moyes who left Everton I'd tend to agree but he has failed in 3 jobs since then and his stock is low - not sure he can recover from that . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If we were getting the moyes who left Everton I'd tend to agree but he has failed in 3 jobs since then and his stock is low - not sure he can recover from that . 

I have always been one of Moyes greatest fans for what he did at Everton. He took Everton by the scruff of the neck and rebuilt the club but as you say for the same reasons I wouldn't want De Boer, Moyes wouldn't be my first choice at the Villa either. Too much damage has been done by previous unsuccessful appointments no matter the circumstances.

Furthermore, football has moved on from the successful era of Moyes, O'Neill, Allardyce and indeed to a much lesser extend Bruce. More teams are trying to play progressive football, even in the Championship now, so Villa must look to the future and as I've stated before in previous posts, rather than spunk another fortune on more players, spend that extra money on compensation to nab Dean Smith or the manager at Fulham. It's the only way Villa are going to move forward.

I think jokonvic is definitely the best bet i think. I woukd be hapoy with de boer he isnt that bad at all. Palace are a mess.

Stam yes

Smith i like but i think he might not be able to handle the pressure.

Wilder at sheffield united is a very interesting one.