Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

On 30/05/2019 at 13:21, Stevo985 said:

This season.

I think he was this good last season. His partnership with Snodgrass helped, but he was very good.

Absolutely. He did have a poor run in the side, but it wasn't very long. He mostly been very dependable, puts some decent crosses in, and runs hard for 90 mins.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2019 at 13:21, Stevo985 said:

This season.

I think he was this good last season. His partnership with Snodgrass helped, but he was very good.

Yep, i don't think we can underestimate just how poor his support was this season from an attacking sence. 

On 01/06/2019 at 00:40, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry to pick on you lads. But this how quick things change when a player loses form. You still feel this way?

Because he made 1 good croos in the play-off final doesnt suddenly make im any good at crossing. I still feel that he sould be better at crossing than what he acutally is. We have a saying in Denmark that a "blind chicken can still find corn".

On 30/05/2019 at 13:43, terrytini said:

..and like Taylor was part of a terrific overall defence

Whilst they were both part of a fantastic defence, Elmo offers so much more in the opposition half. 8 assists and 2 goals just this season alone is more than Taylor has in his career.

I'm happy for Elmo to stick around until the end of his contract and be a squad player, but we need 2 new left backs.

When your creative players aren't creating it makes the world of a difference if your full back is capable of unlocking the door as an alternative threat

In modern football, especially at the highest level, mobile athletic fullbacks are a key attacking outlet. Think about the areas of the pitch that the fullbacks at Liverpool, Man City and Spurs get to.

Taylor has been solid this season but has no business being a premier league squaddie. Elmo brings leadership as well as more attacking threat so he can stay for 1 more season.

Assuming Guilbert is up to scratch we definitely need two new left backs.

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Because he made 1 good croos in the play-off final doesnt suddenly make im any good at crossing. I still feel that he sould be better at crossing than what he acutally is. We have a saying in Denmark that a "blind chicken can still find corn".

I would be surprised if another Villa player had more goal involvement from our winning run onwards. He's not credited with assists for passes that led to penalties I'm sure. It's not 1 good cross in the final unless you've been ignoring all the other recent contributions

• Like 3

On 30/05/2019 at 07:02, rodders0223 said:

Agreed, I remember watching him the first few games taking that first touch, looking up and fighting the urge to loft the ball down the channel.

He has proven me wrong massively, and probably another one who will look back and think how much more he would have enjoyed his football had he played under a football coach his career.

Yet both his goals and 3 of his 7 assists were in the 11 games that bruce was in charge...

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

He's been really good for a while now. Should be our first choice RB going into new season.

I confess I have seen literally nothing of Guilbert but I am hoping that he has come here to be first choice and is a big improvement on what we already have (Elmohamady & Bree).

Elmo had a decent finish to the season after a rough patch in December (particularly the home games against Stoke and Leeds that stand out as poor performances) - OK has an experienced squad member but not a regular starter hopefully.

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yet both his goals and 3 of his 7 assists were in the 11 games that bruce was in charge...

And was also very good in 2017/18

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Wasnt he playing at right winger under Bruce?  I may be wrong.  Anyway he fits Smith's system well at right back so definitely worth keeping in the squad.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He would get roasted, let's be honest.

True, he looks good when he has little pressure, but his positioning, reading the ball and decision making are pretty poor.  

I would be happy to be proven wrong though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Wasnt he playing at right winger under Bruce?  I may be wrong.  Anyway he fits Smith's system well at right back so definitely worth keeping in the squad.

He was. For some reason Elmo was our starting right back in 17/18 but Bruce saw Elmo as a winger this past season until Dean took over and put him back at right back. 

5 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He was. For some reason Elmo was our starting right back in 17/18 but Bruce saw Elmo as a winger this past season until Dean took over and put him back at right back. 

I remember deanos first game in charge elmo played right wing (right side of the 3 attacking mids)

Would be very happy to have Elmo as back up to Guilbert next season at the least. Outside of a shaky time at Christmas where the whole team underperformed he's always been a reliable player, and if anything was possibly our best across the three playoff games. Has proven himself to be solid at the level before and outside of blistering pace he has enough of the right attributes to at least get by.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Bruce mostly played Elmo as RWB in 352 at Hull from memory

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He would get roasted, let's be honest.

I dunno...  personally I'm far more concerned about the left back slot that the right back slot.

On 02/06/2019 at 23:54, Taxahunter said:

You just can't underestimate them chickens. Still being able to run around with their head's chopped off and being able to find corn whilst blind. It's a shame they don't get the credit they deserve.

Â