17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Really? I never knew that - Brighton didn’t get anything when we drew the last game did they?

i know the play off winner gets a trophy 

I might be wrong, but I am sure I read it somewhere. Will have a dig later.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Unfortunately it has not thus far.

I am surprised they are maintaining such good form.

Yes, let's hope it comes to an end. We can talk about ups and downs in results, difficult games coming, and Cardiff doing better than they should. But they have done great this season, but for four games, and they are front runners. all we can do is winning our games. In our harts I am sure we all belive we will make it!

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yup. Which is why beating Cardiff is vital. Not only for the points but the GD.

I have absolutely no doubt we will beat Cardiff.  I am certain we would have beat Fulham too if we had Jack and Adomah in the team as well.  We are just a different proposition when they play. 

• Like 1

I just do not understand the worry about Fulham. If we are overtaken by Fulham, Cardiff will be out of sight.  Cardiff are my one and only concern right now, I couldn't give a shit what Fulham do until we are above Cardiff. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I just do not understand the worry about Fulham. If we are overtaken by Fulham, Cardiff will be out of sight.  Cardiff are my one and only concern right now, I couldn't give a shit what Fulham do until we are above Cardiff. 

I thought the same but Fulham are in great form and their run in is excellent. Cardiff have a tough last 10, including Brentford away tomorrow, Wolves and ourselves.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's as may be but Fulham could lose the next 10 and we could still be behind Cardiff.  Cardiff are the only worry for me until we are past them, then I will worry where Fulham are and what they are doing.  It's like worrying if you will catch a fish when you haven't even got a rod. 

My view is that if we overtake Cardiff we will most likely have accelerated away from Fulham as well.  

I don’t think we can just concentrate on one team. We need to consider both Cardiff and Fulham. One for chasing and one for keeping us on our toes.

To use your analogy, it’s like you've got the rod and caught the fish, but then realise you have no hands, so you’re just a tit at the side of a river being slapped in the face by a fish on a line. Not a good look. Unless that’s what you’re into.

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There's only one team we can concentrate on. That's ourselves. 

..and what we were looking for was inside us all along.

#wisdom

• Like 2

Hmm I had a look. Over the past 13 seasons the average winning top 2 totals in the championship are

Av Winners = 93 pts (92.6)

Av Second place = 87 pts

so we would need an average of 1.8pts per remaining game to finish average second and 2.4pts per remaining game to finish average 1st.

Our current form over the entire season so far is 1.9 pts per game. Our recent form (past 5 games) is 2pts per game.

The only problem with all that is Cardiffs form is better. But in the words of Steve Bruce its likely we will be "there or there abouts".

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

To use your analogy, it’s like you've got the rod and caught the fish, but then realise you have no hands, so you’re just a tit at the side of a river being slapped in the face by a fish on a line. Not a good look. Unless that’s what you’re into.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

But seriously, cliches aside, to ignore all the other teams would be pretty daft.

Say we go on a great run, Cardiff and Fulham slip up and we end up only needing 1 point from the final game to guarantee 2nd place, Bruce wouldn’t throw 4 strikers on in an attempt to force a win because he’s not looking at the teams around us.

• Thanks 1

I've only just read the Leeds owner's comments.

They're good stuff and have amused me. Worth us bearing in mind should we not go up.

He's making the EFL say it's OK or not. If it is, he's saying "I'm going to do the same next year", of not they'll be under pressure to do something more serious than a monetary fine for Wolves.