17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's as may be but Fulham could lose the next 10 and we could still be behind Cardiff.  Cardiff are the only worry for me until we are past them, then I will worry where Fulham are and what they are doing.  It's like worrying if you will catch a fish when you haven't even got a rod. 

My view is that if we overtake Cardiff we will most likely have accelerated away from Fulham as well.  

I think we will be above Cardiff by this Saturday but Fulham will keep winning and so must we .

if we finish above Fulham we will be promoted - Cardiff will not finish in the top 3 .

quite happy for whoever to repost this end of season if I’m wrong but I think there are 5 games at least that Cardiff won’t win and probably 6 , including 2 tough away games this week at brentford and derby .

looking at the remaining  fixtures if Cardiff do go up it will be a quite remarkable achievement by warnock and his bunch of cloggers .

Edited by Eastie

You have to give Cardiff credit, a lot of people never saw them being here by now. They have not spent big either. I think they are massively over achieving at the moment. 

If they extend their lead more than 4 points over us then its curtains for 2nd I think. But lets see how it goes, its better we play together as they had won the game if it wasnt postponed then pressure be on us. 

even if brentford could get a draw tonight and we can win that helps us massively. derby have to win saturday its a huge game for them as boro are on their tails and preston are catching up. i hope brentford dont do a bottle job and put a performance that they tend to over us 

10 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Win tomorrow and we will be 4 clear of Fulham. We need to focus on Cardiff in front and not Fulham behind. 

And hopefully only 1 point after Cardiff

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You have to give Cardiff credit, a lot of people never saw them being here by now. They have not spent big either. I think they are massively over achieving at the moment. 

If they extend their lead more than 4 points over us then its curtains for 2nd I think. But lets see how it goes, its better we play together as they had won the game if it wasnt postponed then pressure be on us. 

even if brentford could get a draw tonight and we can win that helps us massively. derby have to win saturday its a huge game for them as boro are on their tails and preston are catching up. i hope brentford dont do a bottle job and put a performance that they tend to over us 

Derby will struggle to beat them now. They are in a really low ebb and have lost some big players. Brentford will be the best chance to get things back in our own hands.

Brentford still have a minute chance at playoffs so they should have everything to play for still, that's a positive. However, looking at their form table,  over the past 8 games they have LLDWWLWL and of those 3 wins all are against the bottom fodder of the league (Sunderland, SHA and Burton). Of their losses, 3 were by 1 goal only. But at the same time, in all their losses over the past 8 games they didn't score a single goal. Of those games, 3 were home games and they went LDW so I see a good pattern here. They tend to score more as the game progresses in the later stages of the match with the majority of their goals coming in the last ten minutes of the game, so I expect squeeky bum time for the full game. So if it's 0-0 by half-time, this might just be positive. They only have one player out on injury (LB, Rico Henry) so I expect them to field their strongest unit and won't be too burdened by key players not being fit for the match.

It'll be their first home game since the 20th february so hopefully their fans will be really up for it tonight with the last home game being a 5-0 win against SHA. Come on Brentford! Smash Cardiff!

edit: they've only lost at home twice this season too. that's great home form.

Edited by osmark86
added info

For me it is still too early for permutations - too many games still to play.

We just need to keep doing our thing, like we did against Wolves, and we will go up.

Not just as worried now about the play offs as I had been , but would still prefer automatic for the sake of my nerves.

• Like 1

Whilst Fulham's run in does look piss-easy, having SHA and Sunderland as their last two might prove harder than they look if either are still in with a chance of survival.  It's still tight down there.

A 4 point buffer and superior GD after tonight would be very welcome.

13 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

For me it is still too early for permutations - too many games still to play.

We just need to keep doing our thing, like we did against Wolves, and we will go up.

Not just as worried now about the play offs as I had been , but would still prefer automatic for the sake of my nerves.

oh but one can always permute.

giphy-zach-.gif

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s time for a top half v each other league table.  I wonder who might have one.... @BOF

I'm off on the lash. Won't be around until next Tuesday. If I'm not dead. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Whilst Fulham's run in does look piss-easy, having SHA and Sunderland as their last two might prove harder than they look if either are still in with a chance of survival.  It's still tight down there.

A 4 point buffer and superior GD after tonight would be very welcome.

Tighter than a nuns snatch - who dares wins 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

i think fulham will probably rest their first teamers like huddesfield did last year if they are in play offs  against the blosers 

it would be the sensible thing to do if that comes to that. if we're in a similar situation come the Milwall game, I hope we do the same. I really doubt we'll end up in a situation like that though.

I have no factual evidence for this but based on feels I would say it's tougher to beat a team fighting for their life at this stage of the season than it is a mid table team with nothing left to play for. 

That intensity will only ramp up from here. 

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

it would be the sensible thing to do if that comes to that. if we're in a similar situation come the Milwall game, I hope we do the same. I really doubt we'll end up in a situation like that though.

yes its very tight could be the difference of playing boro or derby in play offs for example 

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

But seriously, cliches aside, to ignore all the other teams would be pretty daft.

Say we go on a great run, Cardiff and Fulham slip up and we end up only needing 1 point from the final game to guarantee 2nd place, Bruce wouldn’t throw 4 strikers on in an attempt to force a win because he’s not looking at the teams around us.

Sure, but that's still a long way away. We should be looking to win every game at all costs at the minute. Which I'm sure we are.