17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

40 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Brentford still have a minute chance at playoffs so they should have everything to play for still, that's a positive. However, looking at their form table,  over the past 8 games they have LLDWWLWL and of those 3 wins all are against the bottom fodder of the league (Sunderland, SHA and Burton). Of their losses, 3 were by 1 goal only. But at the same time, in all their losses over the past 8 games they didn't score a single goal. Of those games, 3 were home games and they went LDW so I see a good pattern here. They tend to score more as the game progresses in the later stages of the match with the majority of their goals coming in the last ten minutes of the game, so I expect squeeky bum time for the full game. So if it's 0-0 by half-time, this might just be positive. They only have one player out on injury (LB, Rico Henry) so I expect them to field their strongest unit and won't be too burdened by key players not being fit for the match.

It'll be their first home game since the 20th february so hopefully their fans will be really up for it tonight with the last home game being a 5-0 win against SHA. Come on Brentford! Smash Cardiff!

edit: they've only lost at home twice this season too. that's great home form.

They've struggled since they sold Vibe to 'China'. He was banging goals in for fun around Xmas. They dominate most teams but can't seem to find the crucial first goal since he left. Typical given he scored the winner versus us. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sure, but that's still a long way away. We should be looking to win every game at all costs at the minute. Which I'm sure we are. 

I don't disagree. I just keep seeing a pattern in this thread:

A few pages of people discussing possible results, points and gaps, followed by someone suggesting that we should just ignore everyone else and concentrate on ourselves. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

The forum is here for discussing, so although it can be tiring going over possible outcomes, people like to do it and this is the place to do it in. :thumb:

• Like 1

Just now, Rob182 said:

I don't disagree. I just keep seeing a pattern in this thread:

A few pages of people discussing possible results, points and gaps, followed by someone suggesting that we should just ignore everyone else and concentrate on ourselves. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

The forum is here for discussing, so although it can be tiring going over possible outcomes, people like to do it and this is the place to do it in. :thumb:

Sure, I'm just stating my point of view. Which is, basically, that even if we were to fall 7 points behind tonight it wouldn't see us off. Things change quickly in this league and even more so when you're capable of winning 7 on the bounce. There is literally nothing else we can do except keep winning. 

People are free to discuss the merits of other sides, I do too, I'm not trying to moderate the thread! There will come a time when gamesmanship is relevant, maybe even where settling for a point is enough. That time isn't yet imo, I'd rather we lose a game trying than settle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

They've struggled since they sold Vibe to 'China'. He was banging goals in for fun around Xmas. They dominate most teams but can't seem to find the crucial first goal since he left. Typical given he scored the winner versus us. 

they seem to have scorers in Watkins and Maupay. Must admit I haven't seen them play that much and so I don't know how much of an impact Vibe has had on their overall play. Hopefully he isn't their Grealish.

To catch Cardiff, the MINIMUM we need to do is:

• Beat them at home
  • Match their other results, except...
  • Find 1 more point than them

I fully expect our goal difference will remain better than theirs till the end of the season now, so that would see us into second.

When you put it like that it doesn't seem too much to ask. I would fancy us to better or match their results at the very least and if we want to finish above them we need to be beating them at home as we did to Wolves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s time for a top half v each other league table.  I wonder who might have one.... @BOF

I have a top 9 table, bot don't know how to insert it.. Positions are:

1. Fulham

2. Wolves

3. Cardiff

4. Aston Villa

5-9. Preston, Bristol City, Derby, M'boro and SheffU. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, villa82 said:

1. Fulham

2. Wolves

3. Cardiff

4. Aston Villa

You should know how to insert it by now mate ;)

7 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Table bsed on average points pr game

Surely we should be top? Our PR game is incredible right now, especially the Twitter team.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villa82 said:

1. Fulham

2. Wolves

3. Cardiff

4. Aston Villa

Booo, Villa82 OUT.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brentford are actually a good footballing side, let's hope they can overcome Cardiff's physicality and do us a favour.

I think they will. End of the day Cardiff have had an advantage to a certain extent with their postponement last weekend - theyve played their last 4 games at home, 3 of them being against teams who don't travel well and theyve scraped them each time. Brentford away is a totally different proposition - taken points off us, Wolves and Fulham at home. I hope I'm not tempting fate here but I'd be surprised if Cardiff won there. Draw IMO. 

57 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Be interesting to see how Fulham have done against the lesser sides. 

39 points in  21 games=1,86 points. They take the same number of points against the top/bottom sides. 

Cardiff takes 2,2 points vs bottom half sides, we 2,13. This is positive, as Cardiff have four games left vs top teams. Fulham only plays bottom half (below 9th), but they dont do better against them than the best teams.

Edited by villa82
  • Thanks 1