17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Right. Next 6 games. Obviously Derby have already played so I've just done there next 5 games. 

Fulham 

Villa, Bristol City (a), Wolves, Derby County (a), Sheffield United, PNE (a)

Cardiff 

Boro, Ipswich (a), Bristol City, Brentford (a), Barnsley, Birmingham

Derby

Leeds, Reading (a), Fulham, QPR (a), Forest (a)

AVFC

Fulham (a), PNE, Sheff Wed (a), QPR, Sunderland (a), Wolves

Fulham's run is so horrible that I'm not going to worry about them unless they are still challenging us at the end of that run.  They can absolutely beat anyone on their day, don't get me wrong, but I just cant see them coming out of that unscathed. These games are coming thick and fast. Of the 4 teams there though I'd also say they have the least strength in depth, although I'm no expert on their squad tbf, maybe I just don't know who they have in reserve.

That first week is crucial for us. Terry is going to be well up for playing at the cottage though ;) (Another goal would be nice eh John?) Preston are the team that's too easy to underestimate imo. I kinda feel we owe Sheff Weds a hammering and I'm hoping Terry wants revenge there too. 2 very tricky away games though. We'll need to be at our most solid. And while I'll be more than happy if we draw a couple of them I cant but hope we win all 5 before the Wolves game and set a new club record. I'm not getting my hopes up or expecting it but to be fair we haven't been this close to setting a new win record for 28 years right?

Derby can win ugly and grind out results. Same with Cardiff. Both beat us fairly comfortably too. Cardiff, Preston, Wolves, Middlesbrough and Villa all lie in wait for Derby after the Forest game. Derby, Sheff Utd, Wolves and Villa for Cardiff after they play SHA. They are both going to be up there barring any collapses. The games against them look absolutely massive.

I cant ignore Bristol City yet either. Although their squad depth might not be the best and they're picking up knocks. Also I'd say Baker needs to stay fit for them and we know how that normally goes. But, having said that, they can turn it on and could easily go on another run imo.

Leeds [a], Fulham, Cardiff [a], Sheff Weds, Preston [a], Burton [a] in the next 6 for them, so like Fulham, we'll know a lot more about them when that is done. However I think Bristol City have the easiest looking run-in Tricky teams like Millwall, Middlesbrough and Brentford could be banana skins for them but Sheff Utd on the last day of the season is their hardest looking fixture in the last 9 imo.

Still, we should fear no one at this point. I am wary of the idea that if we finish with a run like we did in '88 we'll be in the play offs. Lose 3 games or less and come through the 6 pointers unscathed though and I think we'll do it. And as TRO keeps reminding us, would you bet against us at this point?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jareth said:

For sure, but 7 wins on the trot is unchartered territory, not saying we won’t handle it but at this point we’ve nothing to compare it to. Maybe going for 4th under MON? 

Calderwood was spot on Sunday - the ball doesn't care how many games in a row we've won. 

Game at a time. 

• Like 1

Win our next 2 games and we will be 7 clear of derby on Tuesday night , that will certainly put pressure on them against Leeds on weds night . 

‘There are no easy games in this league but we are certainly in the box seat . 

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Win our next 2 games and we will be 7 clear of derby on Tuesday night , that will certainly put pressure on them against Leeds on weds night . 

‘There are no easy games in this league but we are certainly in the box seat . 

Fulham is such a massive game now, could be the key to our future. 

Problem is, I am still in old Aston Villa mode and just can't bring myself to any other conclusion that when we have a massive, key game after a good run up to it, we will mess up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Not me. I want a win.

Bizarrely me as well. What a different a few weeks makes. If you had asked me in December I would have accepted Fulham are probably the favourites and would have taken a point. Now though? We are the big dog in the division, I feel like we can and should expect to beat anybody. Its a weird feeling, I havent had it with Villa for.... well a long time :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Not me. I want a win.

I want a win too but as it stands I think an away game, at one of our main competitors for automatic promotion, that doesn't see them closing the gap would be a very decent result for us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brommy said:

I want a win too but as it stands I think an away game, at one of our main competitors for automatic promotion, that doesn't see them closing the gap would be a very decent result for us.

I think we can best them. I don't want a decent result, I want a great one. I know our run will end at some point, but for all the shitty records we've broken over the past couple of years we're on the verge of doing the opposite. They should be fearing us, not vice versa. The game's 100% open as it stands, we should edge them being full strength, confident and on superb form both home and away.

• Like 1

I think 99.9% of us want  a win! a draw would be  a great result as well. they have a hell of a lot of pace though so this could be  along afternoon. i think we need a pacey rb so hopefully he goes with tuanzebe for this one as i felt elmo struggled 

• Like 2

we aim to win every game, that should be the strategy. A draw against Fulham doesn’t hold off Cardiff or Derby. Fulham might look good but they’d have to overhaul 7 points on us, we can’t look that far down.

I think only the Wolves match should be where we approach with caution and consider playing for a draw in the latter stages depending on where we are.

• Like 1