17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, villa82 said:

The stats from Vallamarv shows how important it is to keep the number of draws low. We need to chase wins, even if that make us lose some games.

More than 85 points would be fantastic, and enough for 2th, if we beat the teams above us, Derby and Cardiff.

Hurty?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Oh yes @terrytini was right as he has just again reminded me :-)

Ah it all seems so long ago now.......I still remember the details, hazily, although there is every chance I could totally forget who argued what come May - let’s hope I need to !

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm looking at derby fixtures I have to say its going to be tough. Tgeir two toughest fixtures are away to us and wolves. The rest are home to the likes of Leeds cardiff boro.

They do have a local derby away to forest whoch wont be easy as forest will want to do all they can to prevent them going up.

Blackburn did the double over Newcastle last year. This league throws up weird results. Lets hope it continues

Also I still think everyone is writing off Cardiff a bit easily. Warnock has said he was looking to add 3 players this window. Wildschut adds width, Grujic some creativity and assuming Grabban is the third he's chasing - a proven goalscorer in this league. As always it depends on how much they gel quickly etc but on top of the solid base he's built there and their form over the last 12 months I think he's done well.

Bristol City are loaning players to add some depth to their squad - I think they've proved their ability. It's whether they can last the distance for me. They'll be hoping the same after falling away last year.

Kinda the same with Derby. I like Rowett and I respect him. He's certainly got them organised. Maybe he's the guy to finally get them over the line one year. They have a habit of falling away though and if they start to wobble the fans will get nervy for sure.

I still think the top 4 will be Wolves, Cardiff, Bristol City and us in some order.

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Also I still think everyone is writing off Cardiff a bit easily. Warnock has said he was looking to add 3 players this window. Wildschut adds width, Grujic some creativity and assuming Grabban is the third he's chasing - a proven goalscorer in this league. As always it depends on how much they gel quickly etc but on top of the solid base he's built there and their form over the last 12 months I think he's done well.

Bristol City are loaning players to add some depth to their squad - I think they've proved their ability. It's whether they can last the distance for me. They'll be hoping the same after falling away last year.

Kinda the same with Derby. I like Rowett and I respect him. He's certainly got them organised. Maybe he's the guy to finally get them over the line one year. They have a habit of falling away though and if they start to wobble the fans will get nervy for sure.

I still think the top 4 will be Wolves, Cardiff, Bristol City and us in some order.

No cant write Cardiff off if they sign grabban then its hard to argue. the Grujic signing is bizarre. why would you take  a player who has to play no matter what or you get fined? lets hope he plays crap and still has to play and causes a wedge there., derby we can hope but i am not sure. i think march they ahve a few potential banana skins so hopefully they slip up.

I think top four would be wolves, and between us, cardiff and derby. i think the other two spots will go to boro and fulham 

Wolves have really kicked on and it's hard to see them missing out on automatic promotion, even though we've still got plenty to play.

I don't watch the Championship outside of our games so it's difficult to have a valuable input on who's going to join us in the mix.

All I know, and care about, is that we are improving and are closing in on automatic promotion. If things keep up, we'll be playing like a Premier League side by the final stretch of this season.

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Gonna he rooting hard for Bristol City tomorrow. If they get a result and we do too, the gap will only be 2 points.

or even a draw, either way we'd be within one result of at least levelling their points tally potentially :)

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

or even a draw, either way we'd be within one result of at least levelling their points tally potentially :)

A draw indeed, bring derby in closer while keeping bristol points down. Although we still have to win which I'm confident for.

A draw is best - 2 points to our rivals instead of 3. Who knows what Bristol and Derby might do in the latter stages of the season. Would be very happy with a Bristol win as well though - I think closing the gap will help our confidence.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Gonna he rooting hard for Bristol City tomorrow. If they get a result and we do too, the gap will only be 2 points.

c53e19770a12e34e4df8826552f243ec (1).jpg

Edited by sidcow

It's shaping up to be a pretty good attendance on Saturday. I think there are ten more home games after this one, one of which is well on the way to being a sell out - it'll be interesting to see if a couple of wins here would have an effect on attendances for the rest of the season if we've a chance of going up. It'd be nice to see the upper trinity opened a few more times this season.

The team who finds consistency, will join Wolves.

maybe its pretty obvious, but equally what is the point of predicting.

no one has any idea.

Edited by TRO

I’m positive* for this weekend.

Derby & Bristol playing tomorrow, so points will be dropped by someone. Cardiff play at Sheffield Wednesday after both playing midweek, so hopefully Cardiff drop points and also pick up some injuries. Wolves played midweek and will be up against a fresh Forest who will want to reignite that confidence they had before we beat them last weekend. 

Its all set up for us to smash Barnsley who have 1 win in 13. Come on Villa!!!

*I’m too positive aren’t I?

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’m positive* for this weekend.

Derby & Bristol playing tomorrow, so points will be dropped by someone. Cardiff play at Sheffield Wednesday after both playing midweek, so hopefully Cardiff drop points and also pick up some injuries. Wolves played midweek and will be up against a fresh Forest who will want to reignite that confidence they had before we beat them last weekend. 

Its all set up for us to smash Barnsley who have 1 win in 13. Come on Villa!!!

*I’m too positive aren’t I?

Why not!!!

• Thanks 1

Everytime we gain momentum we stumble across games like this where we are all too confident. I get nervous that this game will be another Brentford or Millwall. I hope the players aren't going into this game too complacent. 

A win tomorrow is so so crucial. I hope we're fired up for it

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Everytime we gain momentum we stumble across games like this where we are all too confident. I get nervous that this game will be another Brentford or Millwall. I hope the players aren't going into this game too complacent. 

A win tomorrow is so so crucial. I hope we're fired up for it

Exactly how i fee, it's Villa after all.  Too used to this team letting me down!!  We really ought to be beating Barnsley and Sheff Utd in the next two games, win those and then I'll start really believing.