17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

There really isn't though. 

We've been on a pretty good run for a while and have only managed to close the gap to second from 7 points to 5 points in 4 months.  We've caught up 2 points in 4 months. 

We need a massive improvement (or a collapse from Derby and Cardiff), or on current form it will take us another 10 months to catch second!  

We haven't really been on a good run though.  The last 3 are good, but prior to that we had 3 points from 5.

Agreed we need an improvement, but with Derby to play at home, we only need to have one more win than them in 18 games.

If we match Cardiff from here in on and beat them at home we go ahead of them so that's already in our hands.

So yes - we have to perform (obviously), but only as well as Cardiff and marginally better than Derby which is completely achievable.

• Like 2

It's the last 3 rolling years that count. So this year I would imagine we are pretty good in terms of wages and with the parachute payments. However, the previous years have not been great and will impact what we can spend presently. Next year I think our payments go down don't they?

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We've been on a pretty good run for a while and have only managed to close the gap to second from 7 points to 5 points in 4 months.  We've caught up 2 points in 4 months. 

We need a massive improvement (or a collapse from Derby and Cardiff), or on current form it will take us another 10 months to catch second!  

That's not how football works though is it. What you do in the previous 4 months does not automatically relate to the next period. Context is everything. We have had our terrible run now (I hope). We have a much kinder set of fixtures from here on in and we have to play those above us at home. It is in our hands really. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

It's the last 3 rolling years that count. So this year I would imagine we are pretty good in terms of wages and with the parachute payments. However, the previous years have not been great and will impact what we can spend presently. Next year I think our payments go down don't they?

Clubs get the following amounts over the three seasons.

In season one, 2016-17, Villa would get £40 million

In season two, 2017-18, Villa would get £33 million

In season three, 2018-19, Villa would get £14 million.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-aston-villa-parachute-11161706

We had to deal with a £7m drop in revenue there this season - on top of any drops in other revenue of course. We are facing a £19m drop off on that next season.

Edited by VILLAMARV

29 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-aston-villa-parachute-11161706

We had to deal with a £7m drop in revenue there this season - on top of any drops in other revenue of course. We are facing a £19m drop off on that next season.

Yeah we will be in no position to spend next year and we will have a LOT of holes to fill in the squad too I would think.

5 hours ago, rubberman said:

We haven't really been on a good run though.  The last 3 are good, but prior to that we had 3 points from 5.

Totally agree with this. The last 4 months have been a rollercoaster:

October - 3 points from 9

November - 12/15

December - 6/18

January - 6/6

We really can’t afford another month like Oct or Dec. They must all be like Nov and Jan so far. If we achieve that, we are well in the mix.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah we will be in no position to spend next year and we will have a LOT of holes to fill in the squad too I would think.

Scary thought. Real trouble should we not go up. Wouldn't surprise me if we sold grealish or green to help fund. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Totally agree with this. The last 4 months have been a rollercoaster:

October - 3 points from 9

November - 12/15

December - 6/18

January - 6/6

We really can’t afford another month like Oct or Dec. They must all be like Nov and Jan so far. If we achieve that, we are well in the mix.

Add that to August (5/15 points) and September (14/18 points) and it’s been one bad month followed by one good month and so on pretty much all season, so far. 

To an extent we’ve either been on a good run or a bad run ever since Bruce arrived to be fair, there’s been no real middle ground. Hopefully we’ve settled on something like a winning formula and this good run continues for a while yet.

• Like 1

Surely Derby are due a poor run at some point. They've been on a charge and have had a bit of a wobble. Could do with them losing a couple or failing to win for a few games a la Aston Villa Christmas 2017.

They must have had some bad patches before they came from nowhere. 

Cardiff looked unshakeable for long periods before going through bad patches. 

On 16/01/2018 at 14:18, Jareth said:

I think slipping in then pulling away at the climax are generally sound tactics. 

But if you leave it too late it can get messy. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ender4 said:

It depends when you want look at the league table from. Three games ago we were nine points off second. We are now just five and have overtaken Boro, Sheff Utd, Leeds and Bristol in that time. Things do change very quickly in this league.

We need to be consistent from now till the end of the season and need to capitalise on the fact we have played all but two of the top ten away from home already so most of them still have to come to us including Derby.

We are well in the mix for second spot.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Surely Derby are due a poor run at some point. They've been on a charge and have had a bit of a wobble. Could do with them losing a couple or failing to win for a few games a la Aston Villa Christmas 2017.

They must have had some bad patches before they came from nowhere. 

Cardiff looked unshakeable for long periods before going through bad patches. 

They had a inconsistent Aug and Sep and a bad November. They are due a bad run but I said that about Wolves so...

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

19 games left. What do people think we need points wise?

I had us finishing on 85 points but we are 1 point ahead of where I thought we would be at this stage. Yes I did a game by game prediction on excel. Yes I am sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

1 more than 3rd place get.

yeah, but also nah, we did that about 3 months ago didnt we ;)

On 10/16/2017 at 21:41, TrentVilla said:

Points for 2nd place 

16/17 - 93
15/16 - 89
14/15 - 89
13/14 - 93
12/13 - 79
11/12 - 88
10/11 - 84
09/10 - 91
08/09 - 83
07/08 - 79

I'm thinking 87/88 points might be enough to snatch second myself this year

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I had us finishing on 85 points but we are 1 point ahead of where I thought we would be at this stage. Yes I did a game by game prediction on excel. Yes I am sad.

Some years It would be enough too. And you should know by now its because I have a big sad list of my own @omariqy that I ask in the first place ;) even though it's far too early to be working out 'stuff we need' but it can sooth the insomiatic mind at times.