17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Interestingly we are always home and away in the same round of fixtures. Our home games look more favourable. Only 3 away games in the next 10. 

We need to make Villa Park a fortress!!

This. The atmosphere against Sheff United second half can not happen again. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think they deserved the win on chances. We struggled with Jed in defence. 

That was sheff united game? We wete fairly solid until whelan made the mistake. The second was a counter attack as we pushed forward at the end

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That was sheff united game? We wete fairly solid until whelan made the mistake. The second was a counter attack as we pushed forward at the end

Have a look at the highlights. We should have been 2 down before the error. Nugent clean through and a point blank header saved. 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wouldnt say we're a mess right now.

Obviously 5 defeats in a row looks bad, but there's perspective behind each one.

Wolves, shocking decision making cost us, narrow defeat to the best team in the league.

Villa, injuries and number of games takes its toll, mixed with a good Villa performance (at this point we had something like 7 players who played more minutes than anyone in Europe in December, and no options to rotate them)

Watford, u23 side with 3 senior players beaten by a strong Premier League side.

Man City, away at one of the best teams in Europe.

Norwich, the first one to have any real concern over.

What it vital is that the run doesn't go on past Derby/QPR.

Home game against Man City will likely be a defeat too, but fully expected.

Whenever I have seen Bristol play this year they have impressed me.

The first 15 mins at Villa Park they looked up for it too. They are a young fit vibrant side.

What I would say is they seemed to lose there heads a little when it was clear that they couldn’t get anything out of the game.

I think maybe they don’t have enough experience to see the full season out at previous high levels of performance?

12 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Well, obviously it is terrible news.

But we have achieved most of what we have achieved this season without him so maybe the squad  - and , yes that is the one put together by the hated Steve Bruce - is resilient enough without him?

Yes I believe they are and have shown it over the season. We're not in a false position. But we would be so much stronger with an in form Kodjia on the team sheet too to bolster our attacking options which are quite limited at the moment. Real shame.

4 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Whenever I have seen Bristol play this year they have impressed me.

The first 15 mins at Villa Park they looked up for it too. They are a young fit vibrant side.

What I would say is they seemed to lose there heads a little when it was clear that they couldn’t get anything out of the game.

I think maybe they don’t have enough experience to see the full season out at previous high levels of performance?

I think we went completely gung-ho when 2 down against you.

It nearly worked, with 2 shots goalbound before being blocked by our own players, but ultimately backfired. Had one of those gone in it would have been a different game, but it didnt and we carried on, and paid the price.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, romavillan said:

We need to leapfrog Cardiff before anything else and they have to go to Leeds soon. That might be our chance there, hopefully in the meantime Derby have lost one and we keep winning....

Agree with you roma, Derby and Cardiff we need to match or better their results in the games coming up. Defeats to either will help us.. we also equally need to win our games.

Derby and Bristol playing each other on friday - a draw would be a good result for us.

Cardiff with a midweek Cup game (extra time please!) and then away to Wednesday also potential to drop points.

May well be an opportunity to move up to third with another win.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Derby and Bristol playing each other on friday - a draw would be a good result for us.

Rather have a Bristol win. Then we could be 2 points from 2th, and not 3 points (if we win our game). Bristol would be in the mix, but our challange are the five points + our own results.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Cardiff with a midweek Cup game (extra time please!) and then away to Wednesday also potential to drop points.

Yep tgat be a great result. But a bristol city win over derby would be a great result for us too.

Bristol need to start winning games of they have aspirations of play offs as fulham are literally right there.

Fulham are not that far from us either so we certainly have to perform on that front too as I think fulham could finish top four. Their squad is bloody good and I rate their manager

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Rather have a Bristol win. Then we could be 2 points from 2th, and not 3 points (if we win our game). Bristol would be in the mix, but our challange are the five points + our own results.

I'd be happy with either.  There's plenty of time to chip away at Derby's lead, but I'd also like to get a gap below as a buffer.  

If (big if) we do get into the top 2 sooner rather than later it will be interesting to see how we cope with that pressure.  So far this season teams have crumbled quite quickly from there but I hope we have enough experience for that not to happen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Agree, Derby are more of a danger atm!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think we went completely gung-ho when 2 down against you.

It nearly worked, with 2 shots goalbound before being blocked by our own players, but ultimately backfired. Had one of those gone in it would have been a different game, but it didnt and we carried on, and paid the price.

That's kind of forgetting the fact we could have been 4 up by half time though. Had more of our chances gone in it could have been worse so I wouldn' say it nearly worked! 

7 hours ago, rubberman said:

We will be above Cardiff before long, not worried about them especially when you look at their fixtures in April.

1 hour ago, dappadan said:

That's kind of forgetting the fact we could have been 4 up by half time though. Had more of our chances gone in it could have been worse so I wouldn' say it nearly worked! 

Congratulations, you read my post and ignored the point being made.

8 hours ago, rubberman said:

I'd be happy with either.  There's plenty of time to chip away at Derby's lead, but I'd also like to get a gap below as a buffer.  

If (big if) we do get into the top 2 sooner rather than later it will be interesting to see how we cope with that pressure.  So far this season teams have crumbled quite quickly from there but I hope we have enough experience for that not to happen.

Very interesting point

Will definitely be a new dynamic for them to deal with 

You almost feel like it might be better to slip in over the last 1-3 games but not sure my nerves could take it! 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

Anything but a Derby win will do. We have plenty of time to catch sides above.. even Wolves.. (although extremely unlikely).. I think they are going through a sticky patch of form and will continue..  we may be too far but Derby could catch them if they keep flying the way they are. (Although again.. extremely unlikely). 

We could do with winning our next 4 games and going on a proper winning run. When was the last time we had won 7 in a row........

Barnsley first...