17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Just looking at the fixtures for next 7 games for whole league.

It is going to be a very interesting December indeed and potential for results to go not as expected for some of the teams around us. 2 games in 6 days to a team struggling with injuries and suspensions will soon take it's toll

As long as we keep winning, thats all we can do. The rest will take care of itself. :thumb:

Is anyone else slightly worried that we've won something like 9 out of our last 11 games, and yet only closed the gap to second from 7 points to 5 points - caught up 2 points in 11 games. 

It basically shows that we just need to keep winning continuously for most of the season, and can only have the occasional draw/loss if we want to break into that top 2 by January. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Just looking at the fixtures for next 7 games for whole league.

It is going to be a very interesting December indeed and potential for results to go not as expected for some of the teams around us. 2 games in 6 days to a team struggling with injuries and suspensions will soon take it's toll

As long as we keep winning, thats all we can do. The rest will take care of itself. :thumb:

At one point we actually have 2 games, in 3 days!

I believe it's one on the 29th of December, then Bristol City on new years day!

Brutal.

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is anyone else slightly worried that we've won something like 9 out of our last 11 games, and yet only closed the gap to second from 7 points to 5 points - caught up 2 points in 11 games. 

It basically shows that we just need to keep winning continuously for most of the season, and can only have the occasional draw/loss if we want to break into that top 2 by January. 

Carry on at the same rate like that and we might just pip it for second place.

In all seriousness. This month is going to be massive. We play 7 games and most of them are against sides in and around us. We can either pull away and stay with top 2/3 clubs or fall in the mix for the playoffs and probably stay there for the rest of the season.

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

No because that’s how the tops of leagues go. It’s just we aren’t used to being at the top. The Sheffield Wed game hurt us this month and makes December even harder as we can’t afford many slip ups. 

8 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

No because that’s how the tops of leagues go. It’s just we aren’t used to being at the top. The Sheffield Wed game hurt us this month and makes December even harder as we can’t afford many slip ups. 

We cant afford many but as long as we dont lose to all our rivals we might be ok. Lets not forget alot of our rivals still habe to come visit us at villa park. I am sure not many teams will fancy playing us in a packed villa park.

30 minutes ago, ender4 said:

...but so do all the other teams. 

We have 2 games against Sheffield - a win and a draw takes us above them (all other results being equal).

Cardiff have to come to VP.  Win that and we only need one other win more than them.  That happens and 2nd is totally in our control.

All ifs and buts, but yeah - anyone who wants automatic promotion will have to be very consistent from here on in, not just us.  And given our current form over the last 10-12 games, we are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brutal.

And so it should be. It's what football is all about.

It's what sorts the men from the boys and it keeps things interesting imo. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Congested fixture lists. We love it really.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brutal.

It’s Boro away on 30th December, then Bristol City home on 1st January.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

Not if Cardiff and Sheffield United drop away, as most would expect over the next 3-4 months.

If they keep winning there's really nothing we can do about it.

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah its very annoying how they have us going the furthest we can possibly go then 2 days later the next game

If you think that’s annoying I advise you to avoid looking at Wolves corresponding fixtures to see who they are NOT playing on New Year’s Day.

I fear we may see you on the warpath ;)

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Excuse the next statty post.  I know it's not for everyone.  Below is a table of our league matches so far this season, sorted in order of our possession stats (from Sky website).  So we had 71% possession against Boro & 31.8% against Flum.

It is colour-coded to correspond to the results that we got on the day.  I just thought it'd be interesting for some to see what happens to us the more we have the ball.  The righthand side is just keeping a running total of good vs bad results as we progress down the table.

d0238c0efa7ecb228349191aea40e950.png

I really love these stats! keep them coming.  

This to me tells us what we already know.  We are a pure counter attacking team.  If it works its all good! 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Moral of the story, f**k possession! ;)

I agree.

When you don't have a clear idea of what to do with the ball when in possession, then possession is (almost) useless. 

And I really like a well executed counter attacking play like Dortmund or like us under MON when Young was at his best..

Bruce is not the manager to get us playing a possession based football, it's not his forte.

As long as we continue to develop the way we currently play and the results stay as they are I don't really care about the %.

Thou I still feel that when it's down to the low 30% you are gambling your luck a bit too far.

• Like 1