17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, villanmac said:

Wow Bridcott, how does a midfielder go 221 games without a goal? U'd think you would get at least a couple by accident in that time 

Glenn Whelan and Cattermole scored recently and had similar enough droughts

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I will because in the financial world we live in if we stay down we will have to rely on Bruce and co to rebuild half the side with a lot less money. It is hard to sustain back to back challenges for promotion- look at Reading and Shef Wed this year. This is our golden chance to go up- if not we could be down here for a good few years with all momentum lost again.

Added to the fact that there will be stronger teams coming down with even more money than before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eastie said:

Can see fulham hitting 91 so Cardiff will like;y need to win 3 of the last 4 although derby are in free fall and Warnock will have his team pumped up for them after the postponement .

Cardiff still have a game in hand, final 3 games are Derby, Hull & Reading. They only need to win 2 of these 3 easy games to get to 92 points which is more than Fulham can get if they win both of their games, so Cardiff can even afford a slip up and still get 2nd.

Just looking at the table I have realised if Cardiff beat Derby on tuesday night then mathematically we can no longer get 2nd

Would be tempting for Bruce to rest all the star players for the final 2 games, though I think theres a new rule where you have to field a certain number of players that played the previous game (after what Huddersfield did last year). Can just image us getting the calculations wrong meaning we have to play some numpties in the first leg of the playoffs :rant:

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Just looking at the table I have realised if Cardiff beat Derby on tuesday night then mathematically we can no longer get 2nd

Would be tempting for Bruce to rest all the star players for the final 2 games, though I think theres a new rule where you have to field a certain number of players that played the previous game (after what Huddersfield did last year). Can just image us getting the calculations wrong meaning we have to play some numpties in the first leg of the playoffs :rant:

I'm not sure how exactly that rule works. Surely you can just say, "sorry x,y&z player all picked up knocks in training and we don't want to risk them. Here's a note from the club doctor, wink, wink" 

How can they prove a player wasn't injured?

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

Could we rest half of the team against Derby (say Chester, Jedinak, Jack, Grabban, Johnstone and Taylor) along with the other ones as well against Millwall so that we don't play any of our usual starters in the last game? That might also help both Derby and Millwall into the playoffs which might not prove to be a bad thing for us.;)

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

Cardiff still have a game in hand, final 3 games are Derby, Hull & Reading. They only need to win 2 of these 3 easy games to get to 92 points which is more than Fulham can get if they win both of their games, so Cardiff can even afford a slip up and still get 2nd.

One thing i dont get is if cardiff do win all three how they are not getting fatigue. We have looked jaded alot more with a bigger squad than them.

Cardiff ate getting second guys. Fulham blew it against Brentford.

20 minutes ago, John said:

Could we rest half of the team against Derby (say Chester, Jedinak, Jack, Grabban, Johnstone and Taylor) along with the other ones as well against Millwall so that we don't play any of our usual starters in the last game? That might also help both Derby and Millwall into the playoffs which might not prove to be a bad thing for us.;)

I think we could get in trouble with ego but I do agree about resting players 

Terry should play next week as could be final league game at home. Rest jedinak and  Chester next week

Give some game time to brew and lansbury

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

One thing i dont get is if cardiff do win all three how they are not getting fatigue. We have looked jaded alot more with a bigger squad than them.

Cardiff ate getting second guys. Fulham blew it against Brentford.

I think we could get in trouble with ego but I do agree about resting players 

Terry should play next week as could be final league game at home. Rest jedinak and  Chester next week

Give some game time to brew and lansbury

Ive been dissapointed with Brew ever since he joined from Barnsley.

I thought he looked special there.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, dounavilla said:

Feeling the same, but like a few others I won't be heartbroken if we don't make it. I rather like us winning lots of games and competing. The championship is such entertainment even if most teams can't play like man city.

I get that argument and if we kept relatively the same squad I’d agree but I think failure this season will lead to a lot more cutbacks and this for me is our best chance of promotion this year, I think next year would be much harder .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

Rest 3 different players for each of the last 2 games .

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Ive been dissapointed with Brew ever since he joined from Barnsley.

I thought he looked special there.

Maybe you should try some brew from somewhere else others then Barnsley you might find better ones.

Feels  good for once to have fun with someone else's typos for once. :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just had a quick look at the stats for the season ...

Grabban joint top of the goal scorer charts (50% of credit for 19 goals, tied with Vydra and Reid)

Snodgrass joint top of the assists chart (14 tied with Wolves Douglas)

Largest attendance (41,233 against Small Heath)

and even top of the fair play league.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

You got me Dem.

:mrgreen:

On your real point. Bree hasnt been given a extended run in the side. He is still fairly young and has shown good potential. I think he will be  a big player here in the next few years. 

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe you should try some brew from somewhere else others then Barnsley you might find better ones.

Feels  good for once to have fun with someone else's typos for once. :mrgreen:

I can’t  let this go on - Dem mate, it was you that put brew in the first place... 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2