17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

5 hours ago, John said:

Yes, Fulham looked top drawer last night and they are on a terrific run but all good runs come to an end just ask Millwall. They are a team that I would rather avoid in the playoffs but they have been incredibly fortunate with injuries. Would they be as effective in those playoffs without one or all of Sessegnon, Mitrovic and Cairney for example? 

The thing is john....They find space, so physical contact is minimum, subsequently less likely to get injured......I was watching Cairney carefully last night, he is like Scholes in as much as he just drifts away from the opposition players and just pings balls back to his own, it is so easy on the eye.....its all to do with football intelligence....He plays deep and he comes forward, he just drifts around where he is needed.......Sessegnon is another who just drifts away from the opposition and watches the play, so aware and then makes his runs.......Its all surrounds movement and the management of it.

When you play to feet like us you get clobbered all the time.....they play to space in the main......and when they do play to feet the recipient has the ability to control the ball with the first touch.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing is john....They find space, so physical contact is minimum, subsequently less likely to get injured......I was watching Cairney carefully last night, he is like Scholes in as much as he just drifts away from the opposition players and just pings balls back to his own, it is so easy on the eye.....its all to do with football intelligence....He plays deep and he comes forward, he just drifts around where he is needed.......Sessegnon is another who just drifts away from the opposition and watches the play, so aware and then makes his runs.......Its all surrounds movement and the management of it.

When you play to feet like us you get clobbered all the time.....they play to space in the main......and when they do play to feet the recipient has the ability to control the ball with the first touch.

This something that bothers me a bit with how Villa play. Way too often we play the ball to feet with the recipient waiting for the ball to arrive while being closed down forcing another pass. Rarely do we see fluid movement from our players off the ball opening up spaces and signaling runs. It makes us slow and, as you say, more likely to get clobbered. This is one thing that bothers me with how we set up and play and something I desperately want to be addressed more by the coaching staff. Fulham seem to have got this down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Brentford looming ever nearer to the top 6!

There's about 6 teams fighting for that last play off spot, shows how competitive this division is and its great to watch. Think out of all those teams Brentford is the team I wouldn't want we always play terrible against them! 

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

There's about 6 teams fighting for that last play off spot, shows how competitive this division is and its great to watch. Think out of all those teams Brentford is the team I wouldn't want we always play terrible against them! 

I fucking hate playing against Brentford. Some of our worst performances have come against them and what makes it all the more bizarre is that in both seasons they've been nothing more than upper mid-table.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nigel said:

This is looking as if its going to be the worst possible group of teams we will have to face.... Fulham, Middlesbrough and Brentford.

Say we play and get past Boro in the semis.

If you had the choice between brilliant Fulham or bogey team Brentford in the final, who would you prefer?

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Say we play and get past Boro in the semis.

If you had the choice between brilliant Fulham or bogey team Brentford in the final, who would you prefer?

Brentford, but only just for me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Brentford, but only just for me!

Think I’d agree with that. Hope the occasion would get to them.

I really didn’t think Brentford would be in the mix, fair do’s to them. They have some winnable games left so it could well be them finishing sixth.

I suppose if Derby get their shit together and beat Cardiff (which I think the majority of us want) they would have the advantage, but they’re so inconsistent.