17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, villa82 said:

Boro play Brentdord next week, big game for them.

2nd place gone for us long time ago. Fulham or Cardiff only have to win more than one game, even if we win our last two. 

Boro have Millwall don’t they? Then their last game is against Ipswich.

It’s going to be Boro. I think they just need the win against Ipswich to confirm fifth.

• Like 1

I don’t fear anyone in the playoffs, I can guarantee they are all looking at that table and saying they want to avoid Villa.

Second leg at a packed out Villa Park will be so intimidating for them.

Look at last season, everyone had Fulham as favourites and they couldn’t get past Reading in the semis.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s going to be Boro. I think they just need the win against Ipswich to confirm fifth.

Millwall yes, still a big game. 

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

Draw at home to QPR, win at Bolton and the table would look great right now - that (for me) is where we blew automatic promotion. 

Or the shit start, or December. take your pick. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Still though, we should be doing all we can to finish on 88 points and make the other two work for it. Hopefully Forest can spring a massive head exploding surprise on Cardiff tonight ;)

Super Joe Lolley to the rescue!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villarocker said:

If we win our last two we will finish 4 points off where Bruce wanted to be - 92 points and 2 points per game. Will that even prove enough for second this season?

Bruce set a target of 88 points which would have normally got us up .

He said this week we can still hit the points target he had set but it seems it won’t be enough and fair play to whoever beats it . 

Fulham are at home to already relegated Sunderland and then visit blues who will probably be safe by then so I’d expect fulham to reach 91 leaving Cardiff needing to win 3 games  from their last 4 .

Edited by Eastie

29 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep looking like  boro over 2 legs  and I’d strongly fancy us .

prefer to play boro rather than Millwall 

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I'm pretty sure he said 2 points per game was the target, at some stage in the season. That totals 92, which still might not be enough. 

Not saying you're wrong!

No he didn’t - he set the target of 88 points which he only revealed last week as it’s still possible and would normallly be enough .

As he said if someone gets more than that then hats off to them .

Edited by Eastie

Just now, Eastie said:

Yep looking like  boro over 2 legs  and I’d strongly fancy us .

I’d put us as favourites, I’d have preferred Derby or Millwall. 

But I suppose if we’re going to win the damn thing, we’ll probably have to beat a better side in either Cardiff or Fulham anyway, so yeah bring them on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’d put us as favourites, I’d have preferred Derby or Millwall. 

But I suppose if we’re going to win the damn thing, we’ll probably have to beat a better side in either Cardiff or Fulham anyway, so yeah bring them on.

Would rather play boro and Cardiff than either Millwall or Fulham but if we have to play fulham so be it .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

No he didn’t - he set the target of 88 points which he only revealed last week as it’s still possible and would normallly be enough .

As he said if someone gets more than that then hats off to them .

https://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-lays-two-point-per-game-target-promotion/

He definitely said 2 points per game is what you aim for to get out of this league. 

4 minutes ago, villarocker said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-lays-two-point-per-game-target-promotion/

He definitely said 2 points per game is what you aim for to get out of this league. 

Maybe it was an imposter at his press conference last week and wearing a Bruce mask ? 

‘He made a point of saying he had never revealed the set target until last week - obviously 92 points would have been nicer but it is rarely needed . 

‘Although Bruce has been known to contradict himself more than once ;)

‘Either way we have not got enough to be promoted so let’s concentrqte now on the job at hand in the play offs .

Edited by Eastie