The Manager thread

Xela

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

So now that Slot’s been confirmed by Pool, they announced he’s the head coach. What’s the difference between a manager and head coach though? 

Nowadays in most clubs theres not much difference really because all the biggest teams have similar structures now, but historically a head coach usually meant they are part of a larger club structure which limits their responsibilities to matters on the pitch and training ground, rather than the old fashioned idea of a manager who was basically running the club from a footballing perspective in every facet. A head coach would be working alongside (or potentially beneath) a director of football, a head of recruitment, and might even be expected to largely work with an established set of coaches/trainers/staff etc etc, whereas the old fashioned manager would calling all the shots and expecting a completely clean card to work from, their own guys, their own style, etc. Nobody really does this anymore (because when it goes wrong it's expensive and potentially catastrophic), so everyone really is a head coach. Oddly enough one of the things that probably attracts Emery here is he operates in a structure where is a head coach, but everyone around him is essentially his guys so he basically gets the best of both worlds.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

De Zerbi 100% has something lined up. Nobody walks away from multi-million pounds PL contracts unless they have something more lucrative to go to.

My guess is Man United, and it hasn’t been announced yet for obvious reasons. 

Apparently not. He and Tony Bloom have had a massive fallout over transfer policy this summer and has been not giving a shit since.

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Kompany fancies the Bayern Munich job :D 

I think Bayern are trolling Kane at this stage

• Haha 1

Kompamy does not deserve the Bayern job. However, I have to give him some credit in that he was prepared to get some lower and unfashionable jobs and didn't just expect to take over a top club as soon as he retired like a lot of ex pros seem to do.

Kompany being linked with the Bayern job should tell you everything you need to know about the state of Bayern and the manager market.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

fantastic. they were dangerously close to being a top team for a while there.

Yeah was worried about them for next season. Glad they got rid of Poch. Hopefully resets them back to trying new things and dropping points with a new coach 

• Like 1

All pointless now and might not be a consensus view but if it wasn't Unai then I'd have gone for Dyche next as manager of the year. I'm not a fan of his as he plays cr@p old school football but to cobble that team together and get them to 40 points (with the deductions).... is a hell of an achievement

Winning 4 in a row is an amazing feat but I'd argue taking a treble winning team and adding Gvardiol (70m), Doku (50-60m) and Kovacic (30m) makes it an easier 1 season task than what Unai or Dyche did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _AA_786 said:

All pointless now and might not be a consensus view but if it wasn't Unai then I'd have gone for Dyche next as manager of the year. I'm not a fan of his as he plays cr@p old school football but to cobble that team together and get them to 40 points (with the deductions).... is a hell of an achievement

Winning 4 in a row is an amazing feat but I'd argue taking a treble winning team and adding Gvardiol (70m), Doku (50-60m) and Kovacic (30m) makes it an easier 1 season task than what Unai or Dyche did

I am one of Dyche's biggest critics (as a manager not a person), but I have to agree wholeheartedly. Will he take them to the next level, no. Will they get into Europe under Dyche, highly unlikely. But he's done a tremendous job with them this year, especially with all of the uncertainty over points deductions. 

Meh the prem awards are always fan driven by Representatives for North East Somerset who glory hunt vote.

The LMA manager of the year hopefully redresses the balance.

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

An Argentinian managing England 😂😂

I personally couldnt care less if he was Argentinian he fots perfect profile to replace southgate

Â