Neil Taylor

One For The Road

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don't hate him.

But I think he's shit at football.

And yet I still think he's our best LB.

What does that tell you about Taylor?

Well not hate but you know where I'm at.

I've always thought Taylor was shit even at this level so it comes as no shock suprise to me either.

I'd actually try Hourihane at LB and see how he does, he's not pulling up any trees in the centre of the park but he's got a decent left foot so should be comfortable on the ball and starting attacks and we can still use him for set pieces as and when. I don't think he can do much worse than Taylor or Hutton to be honest. Leeds do it with Allioski whos naturally more attacking and he looks very decent, anyway just a thought as I'm getting more and more fed up with our full back 'options' with every game!

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'd actually try Hourihane at LB and see how he does, he's not pulling up any trees in the centre of the park but he's got a decent left foot so should be comfortable on the ball and starting attacks and we can still use him for set pieces as and when. I don't think he can do much worse than Taylor or Hutton to be honest. Leeds do it with Allioski whos naturally more attacking and he looks very decent, anyway just a thought as I'm getting more and more fed up with our full back 'options' with every game!

That sounds like a horrendous idea mate. He doesn't tackle when he plays in midfield. I'd sooner keep Taylor there and I think he's bloody awful.

• Like 1

Can you believe we effectively swapped him for Ayew? How have we not signed a single LB since January 2017? That's 3 going on 4 transfer windows. It's such a shambles that I can't help but just laugh at it all. The dude is barely a footballer anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Can you believe we effectively swapped him for Ayew? How have we not signed a single LB since January 2017? That's 3 going on 4 transfer windows. It's such a shambles that I can't help but just laugh at it all. The dude is barely a footballer anymore.

Since 2014 we have had 3 left backs at club. Taylor, Cissokho and Amavi and never 2 fit at same time though all 3 are shit 

I dont count Richardson

13 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

That sounds like a horrendous idea mate. He doesn't tackle when he plays in midfield. I'd sooner keep Taylor there and I think he's bloody awful.

Fair dos mate, I get what you are saying about the tackling element, but is Taylor's tackling / defensive skills much better? I'm not too sure and he offers absolutely nothing going forward.

My mate was at the game on Saturday (Leeds fan) first time he's seen Villa live and he couldn't believe just how terrible Taylor was both in possession and without the ball, I suppose my thought with Conor there would be at least he would be better on the ball - Plus the fact that he doesn't tackle when playing in central midfield is probably worse than at LB (IMO).

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Since 2014 we have had 3 left backs at club. Taylor, Cissokho and Amavi and never 2 fit at same time though all 3 are shit 

I dont count Richardson

To be fair we did sign that one who went to Fulham... well we almost did 

23 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Reverse Gareth Barry. I was thinking along these lines the other day. Can't be worse than current crop of fullbacks surely?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Reverse Gareth Barry. I was thinking along these lines the other day. Can't be worse than current crop of fullbacks surely?

Well that's where I'm at. Not ideal, but any worse than Taylor / Hutton I'm not too sure and at least he should be comfortable on the ball. Ideally of course, we need a new LB in this window!

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Hourihane to full back is one of the more bizarre suggestions I've heard on VT in a while, I have to admit.

Maybe the idea is to get him somewhere where he can do least damage ... and then take set pieces, which no-one else seems to be able to do.

Fair enough, I am on my own with the Hourihane at LB one then ;)  but my reasoning's one last time ;) 

1) The general consensus is both Taylor and Hutton are sh1t. Both have been extremely poor for a long time now and we are still conceding goals with either in the team. They don't tackle well (Hutton to a lesser extent), they both allow wingers to cross time after time and both are positionally found wanting.

2) Taylor contributes absolutely nothing to us going forward and Hutton (although slightly better) is allowed by the opposition to run to the opposing box then 99% of the time lose it and be caught out of position.

3) Hourihane is hardly dominating from central midfield, but he has (usually) good set pieces, can pass a ball an is a lot more comfortable in possession. Therefore playing him in this position allows us to keep the ball better which means in theory less defending and also allows us to put someone stronger centrally.

I am not for one minute saying for this to be a regular thing, the need for a left back is ridiculously important and it is crazy we have been left in the situation we are, I just think that it would be worth a gamble as opposed to the other tried & tested failed options.

Anyway, you will be pleased I am not manager :)  

Â