Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

He's not absolute shite.

But he's not good enough to be our first choice midfielder.

I like having him as an option for certain teams. But Jedinak and Whelan are superior DMs, and BB is dreadful in any other position.

9 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Can't remember a game for us when he's been shite.

I'm not having this :D

I'm probably too harsh on the guy sometimes. And I could buy the line "Can't remember a game for us when he's been shite AT DM" (even though I'm not sure I'd agree with that either.

But did you not see any of the games he played in his first few months here? The first couple of months of the 2017/2018 season especially. Surely even his biggest fans can acknowledge that he was indeed utter shite during that first few months!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He's not absolute shite.

But he's not good enough to be our first choice midfielder.

I like having him as an option for certain teams. But Jedinak and Whelan are superior DMs, and BB is dreadful in any other position.

I think he’s good enough now - Whelan and Jedinak are done IMO (Jedinak maybe against proper physical teams).

Will be interesting to see whether we bother with a DM anymore. As you say, good option from the bench to cover anywhere else in midfield.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think he’s good enough now - Whelan and Jedinak are done IMO (Jedinak maybe against proper physical teams).

Will be interesting to see whether we bother with a DM anymore. As you say, good option from the bench to cover anywhere else in midfield.

No I think he's a good option from the bench to cover DM.

In my opinion he's consistently shown that anywhere other than DM he is awful. Maybe in the last few minutes of a game to add some "energy", as that is basically his only attribute.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I think he will be a Dean Smith type of player. He is mobile, energetic and will do what is asked of him. Dean Smiths teams dont necessarily need excellent individual players, rather players who will buy into and execute his style of play

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

After his first 5 or so performances I honestly though we'd been had, Ali Dia style.

Fair to say he's improved.  I like him at this level.

yeah which one of those 5 was the worst? the game at LB, RB, LW, RW or CM? surprised we never played him in goal

his early days summed Bruce up (tbf his villa career summed Bruce up, played in different positions, dropped after playing really well) not a clue how to use a player he bought

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think he will be a Dean Smith type of player. He is mobile, energetic and will do what is asked of him. Dean Smiths teams dont necessarily need excellent individual players, rather players who will buy into and execute his style of play

He has terrible technique, so I kind of hope he isn't a Dean Smith kind of player to be honest.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah which one of those 5 was the worst? the game at LB, RB, LW, RW or CM? surprised we never played him in goal

his early days summed Bruce up (tbf his villa career summed Bruce up, played in different positions, dropped after playing really well) not a clue how to use a player he bought

Yeah, but he should sill have been able to control a football.

He's since proved he can (most of the time), but at first he looked like he'd never played football in his life.

• Like 1

Â