Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Fact is he's a saleable assett. One of the few we can actually shift on for a fee which will be at least as much or possibly more than we paid for him. 

It may add a million or so to our FFP/survivability issues and probably pay Michah Richards wages for the rest of his holiday with us. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I think we'd be crazy to let him go...

I'd rather see us sell Lansbury before we sell Birkir. Birkir can play left mid, center mid, or defensive mid. Lansbury is a center mid and that's it.

With Birkir gone, we are even shorter on the wings. Plus Birkir is a likable player who works hard for the team. 

I'd rather see us do a lot of things too Czechlad but we aren't exactly holding many cards at this point. Pretty spurious link hence no quotes but BB is one of the few players not from the youth set-up that we could make a few quid on imo. We didn't pay a lot IIRC.

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Rumours in the transfer thread already with BB.

If someone's offering cash - money we'd be crazy not to let him go imo.

I actually like him and rate him at this level.

But again, an offer of £5.4m if true cannot be turned down so it is good bye and thank you Thor!  :thumb:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I actually like him and rate him at this level.

But again, an offer of £5.4m if true cannot be turned down so it is good bye and thank you Thor!  :thumb:

totally agree - The club would be stupid to turn the offer down (in which case, he'll be staying then!)

• Haha 1

I really f****** hate that we are in a position where just 4 million is almost an impossible profit to give up. 

Every team needs a Bjarnasson. He will work hard and can play numerous roles. In a financially stable club, 5 million wouldn't be worth getting rid of him. He fills a lot of roles. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I really f****** hate that we are in a position where just 4 million is almost an impossible profit to give up. 

Every team needs a Bjarnasson. He will work hard and can play numerous roles. In a financially stable club, 5 million wouldn't be worth getting rid of him. He fills a lot of roles. 

Yes, but he is mostly shit in all of them.

I like the guy, I like his passion and desire to play, but if we could even get £2m for him and a salary of the wage bill then it will be done and should be done. We are as close to oblivion as it gets.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I like the guy, I like his passion and desire to play, but if we could even get £2m for him and a salary of the wage bill then it will be done and should be done. We are as close to oblivion as it gets.

Birkir was very strong in Center mid with Hourihane mostly every time he played. I really think if it weren't for his injury, he would have been our starting DM for the playoffs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We're not though are we? 

I don't disagree with the rest of your post but it seemed to go largely under the media radar recently that Bolton players went on strike for not being paid wages. 

Now that's the next step for us and im not saying its not around the corner but we're not there yet.

With Jedinak likely going, I’d use Bjarnasson as the defensive mid, he did well in the position and I think given an extended run there could do well again. 

He had been poor in other positions but ok there.

• Like 1

vaguley  linked to Boro 

West Brom are also ready to go head-to-head with Boro for their former winger Albert Adomah – who is attracting a lot of attention due to Aston Villa’s financial woes.

Villa can’t stand in the way of any reasonable offers and they are set to lose their Player of the Year.

Boro want Adomah and also have an eye on midfielder Birkir Bjarnason and could try and tempt Villa with a joint bid for both players.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-newcastle-near-cut-price-striker-raid-as-wba-eye-boro-hitman

Â