Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

29 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Why would Iceland play attacking against Argentina???!!! As the weaker team of course you’d be cautious and use your strength and physicality. It’d be suicide any other way. 

Its not attractive but now and again a defensive display should be praised. It is just as disciplined and requires more concentration. 

I bet Bjarnason thought he was playing against Fulham today!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Of course they have. The topped a group in qualifying with croatia and ukraine in it. No mean feat that. And im not naive enough to think that they'll suddenly start playing tika taka football. They didnt in qualifying. Dont have the personnell . However from an entertainment point of view its shite and i hope they get eliminated. Iceland though arent their to serve some guy in irelands entertainment needs. Not in their remit. They've got a point. Teams with width will surely expose them. Argentina were so narrow and unbelievably never changed their approach.

I think you have answered much of your own question/point.

No team is going to hand it to the other on a plate.....and Argentina are as much the architect of their own demise.

We get accused of playing defensivley or negatively, but we are not as good as that.....they play too, with much movement defensively and double and treble up in a flash....they play with energy and stamina. Personally , I give them credit....they get their feet in well and sharply.

It may not be the football equivalent of the Harlem Globe Trotters.....but there is plenty to admire from Icelands offering.

Iceland make you work for what you get.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Iceland deserve to get **** up sooner or later. They get to the biggest stage in world football and they put 11 men behind the ball. Cynical, sly digs off the ball. Yes they have a system, a structure yada yada but as soon as this dross is eliminated the better. Argentina have actually been pretty decent and will get more joy i reckon against croatia and nigeria because they try and play.

wait until it is 48 teams in the WC finals man

All weaker teams will defend against the best in the world. But Iceland do it superbly. It’s an art in itself and it’s no fluke they have been so successful in the last 2 years. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if they nicked a goal v both Croatia and Nigeria and then defending it out. 

As for Thor, he had a job to do it and he did it well enough. Although it wasn’t pretty and he probably should have been booked after the 3 or 4th foul. 

Well done to him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

Worth at least 3 mill now

Yep sadly I'm watching this world cup hoping one of Bjarni or Jedi have three fantastic games so we can get that sort of price for one of them such is our issues atm.

I thought he was o.k today. Should've scored but did well pressing Argentina and limiting their space.

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Of course they have. The topped a group in qualifying with croatia and ukraine in it. No mean feat that. And im not naive enough to think that they'll suddenly start playing tika taka football. They didnt in qualifying. Dont have the personnell . However from an entertainment point of view its shite and i hope they get eliminated. Iceland though arent their to serve some guy in irelands entertainment needs. Not in their remit. They've got a point. Teams with width will surely expose them. Argentina were so narrow and unbelievably never changed their approach.

They're a Nordic country, they all play defensive style. Sweden and Norway do it, Denmark have more flair with Eriksen but you saw how they played v Peru.

Little bit of context required, Iceland has population of 330k and they played against country that has produced two of the greatest players in history. They are massively overachieving.

Edit: I bet you enjoyed Saudi's neat two touch passing around the Russia penalty area eh Johnny?

Edited by VillaChris

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy Birkir got elbowed hard in his face. Seems like he is done for. 

He is back on. Lots of blood, but he is no neymar. Glad to see he is back. 

Edited by Czechlad

He was pissed apparently when he was dropped for Blues and Wolves game I think so I imagine he would be the same when he missed play-off final

His celebration vs Wolves was an indicator

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was pissed apparently when he was dropped for Blues and Wolves game I think so I imagine he would be the same when he missed play-off final

His celebration vs Wolves was an indicator

He has been quite up front about being upset at not being used to be fair.

Not sure if I blame him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

We need to keep and play him. We can't have international players who don't start.

Well we have Jedi, B.B, Hourihane and a Whelan who are all internationals in cm so we’d have to not play at least one :P

• Like 1

Â