Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

He's since proved he can (most of the time), but at first he looked like he'd never played football in his life.

This is what I was getting at above.

He's improved a lot and shown he's worthy of a place in the squad. 

But his first year or so here he was genuinely terrible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, but he should sill have been able to control a football.

He's since proved he can (most of the time), but at first he looked like he'd never played football in his life.

Jedinak still looks like this if ever the ball isn't sailing towards his head.

• Like 1

FWIW I thinks his best attribute is his mobility and especially his a ability to follow up and coming in second waves in attack in and around the box. Something we have lacked quite often and something no other DCM does.

It's not a key attribute for a DCM and he's far from ideal, but I prefer him to Jedi and Whelan on most days.

He has a knack for finding himself where the ball ends up and it's from there he's scored most of his goals for us and Iceland.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Glenn Whelan is by far the most underrated player in our squad.

I’m not so sure anymore. The penalty miss against Preston seems to have massively improved his reputation...

On a serious note, I agree. He does the dirty work very well, and his passing stats are always very respectable. 

He does a killer through ball for an assist then looks like a pub league passer for the rest of the game. I don't think he's as good as Whelan or Jedinak as a CDM but if Smith plays a 4231 probably none of those 3 make the best XI. I think will be

Abraham(Hogan)

AML Grealish Bolasie

McGinn Hourihane 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

His problem really is that he's too much of an all-rounder. Almost every attribute he has is not 'bad' but it's not really good enough either. He's not technically skilled enough to be a CM, he's not defensively geared up to be a CDM or FB, he's not quick enough to play on the wing... Etc. Kinda like Bacuna. 

The one thing he does have is a knack for scoring though, as he showed at Basel too, as he makes good attacking runs. 

Agreed, although he may look like a better player in a more front foot, pass and move system.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agreed, although he may look like a better player in a more front foot, pass and move system.

Yeah it really is a clean slate and an opportunity to see what the squad can offer, seeing as the system is going to be totally different. I'd say quite a few players who have been marginalised are looking forward to it. 

On 11/10/2018 at 22:15, sne said:

As we all know there are only 2 categories for Villa midfielders.

Worst player to ever play for the club, or future England captain.

Very Brexit view this.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

VERY VERY limited player with minimal attributes and can't see him lasting long under Smith unless he starts to move with the ball instead of standing still and knocking god-awful passes to the opposition. For me, the worst midfielder at the club by some margin and needs to reinvent himself fast !

26 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

VERY VERY limited player with minimal attributes and can't see him lasting long under Smith unless he starts to move with the ball instead of standing still and knocking god-awful passes to the opposition. For me, the worst midfielder at the club by some margin and needs to reinvent himself fast !

Completely disagree. He absolutely bossed the midfield today. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The problem with BB is he is guaranteed, GUARANTEED to at least put in one suicide hospital pass during a game that leads to serious trouble. He is not the man I want there long term. When pressed or under it a bit he is a proper bomb scare.

As has been stated many times mate, we are in the Championship, so we will rarely have any player which is the complete article. It is about getting the best out of them while we are here until we can level up.

Â