Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

What’s stopping you doing it? Are you trapped because of the cladding scandal?

Main thing at the moment is work - we still haven't had a formal decision on what working will look like going forward. My desire is to live rurally - can't do that if I need to be in the city centre 3 days a week. Whatever the decision is, will decide where I move - either locally if I'm needed in the office a fair amount or the middle of nowhere if I'm not! 

I can't really plan anything at the moment ahead of that decision. 

The cladding thing *could* be an issue but recent announcements (about sub 18m blocks) would seem to make that less of a problem now. Couple of sales seem to be going through in my block at the moment, which is encouraging. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Excellent news. I noticed an improvement in my parent's mood when they moved a few years ago as well. 

Thats what I need... not that I have bad neighbours, I don't, I just don't have any outdoor space. That is my main driver for wanting to move and I'm sure it would massively help my mental well-being. 

I suggest stop talking to your wank sock in Cornish accent.

19 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I suggest stop talking to your wank sock in Cornish accent.

Why?

its a Norfolk accent actually.

We are currently looking to move. Almost every house we seem to be looking at is advertised as offers over X amount. Have put in offers on a couple of houses over last couple of months and gone in around 7k over offers over price and not been successful. Have just looked at another house this morning which we like and that is again offers over.  I have looked on zoopla at what recent sales in same road have gone for but trouble is there are only a couple that have sold over last couple of years and the house we have looked at needs everything doing (rewiring, central heating, windows, new kitchen, bathroom etc) as it was built in 1955, original owners since and last one has died. A real project and I'd say it needs 40k+ spending on it so it is hard to gauge against other houses that have sold. 

We want to go in high enough to get it but then if we do get it don't want to be left thinking have we paid 4,5,6k over what we could have got it for. We are in a pretty decent position as we are selling my house to my eldest daughter, way below market value but that is another story 😀, so have no extended chain. 

Looked into one of the houses we offered on and lost out. We offered 5k over asking and found out it sold for 45k over asking. The market really has been crazy recently. 

• Shocked 2

51 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Looked into one of the houses we offered on and lost out. We offered 5k over asking and found out it sold for 45k over asking. The market really has been crazy recently. 

It is ridiculous really as it is more like an auction. A lot of houses you put an offer in and they then come back asking for your best and final.

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is ridiculous really as it is more like an auction. A lot of houses you put an offer in and they then come back asking for your best and final.

I went on Zoopla and checked another we missed out on. The agents told us at the time that a cash buyer offered full asking (it completed in 5 weeks so must have been a cahs buyer) and they wanted us to increase our offer (we were at full asking already). They got really shitty when I said no as they'd told us they'd already accepted our bid and that the cash buyer would just increase their price too. Why should I do them any favours if they've messed me about. 

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I went on Zoopla and checked another we missed out on. The agents told us at the time that a cash buyer offered full asking (it completed in 5 weeks so must have been a cahs buyer) and they wanted us to increase our offer (we were at full asking already). They got really shitty when I said no as they'd told us they'd already accepted our bid and that the cash buyer would just increase their price too. Why should I do them any favours if they've messed me about. 

It is definitely a sellers market and a completely different one to when we last moved house nearly 10 years ago where a house would have a asking price and you'd usually offer a few k below then meet somewhere in the middle. Now most houses have a offers over figure and the agent is telling you and a dozen other people to put an offer in by X date and you don't where you are or what to offer. 

Edited by markavfc40

I think the demand will slow down now that the stamp duty holiday is/has come to an end. 

Doubt prices will fall, but will stabilise for a few years, and asking price will be an asking price again, not a starting point.

You’d imagine at least one of the major political parties that needs a bit of a spark would latch on to the housing problem and come up with some big ideas that genuinely help the individual against the robber landlords and corporations.

Think of all those national and local government buildings and land not needed if they persist with working from home.

Think of all those people that could have apprenticeships converting and building decent affordable accommodation that has environmentally leading energy consumption thus also helping us towards net zero whilst providing work, repurposing redundant buildings, employing people and homing people.

If only a struggling political party could convey that idea in a lucid exciting way.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You’d imagine at least one of the major political parties that needs a bit of a spark would latch on to the housing problem and come up with some big ideas that genuinely help the individual against the robber landlords and corporations.

Think of all those national and local government buildings and land not needed if they persist with working from home.

Think of all those people that could have apprenticeships converting and building decent affordable accommodation that has environmentally leading energy consumption thus also helping us towards net zero whilst providing work, repurposing redundant buildings, employing people and homing people.

If only a struggling political party could convey that idea in a lucid exciting way.

Take your radical nonsense elsewhere, Trot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The party that puts a stop to this gets my vote.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/lloyds-banking-group-landlord-buying-50000-homes-084827363.html

John Lewis is doing something similar.

Corporations competing with first time buyers, driving prices up further so they can rent out the homes they're stopping people from being able to buy. This is the future of our housing stock unless it's legislated against or disincentivised by heavy taxation on additional properties.

Add that to the explosion in holiday homes/Air BnB properties and the market is well and truly ****. 

I saw an article, can't remember where, annoyingly, about a town or village in Devon. No house available to buy. 1 or 2 to rent, but 75 on Air BnB.

There are blocks of the old mansion flats in West London, which have been ruined as 50% of them are rented by the night. Stag dos, Hen parties, all night get togethers, creating havoc in a residential block, where people live. 

I don't know what the answer is. You can't put the genie* back in the lamp now.

Sorry @Genie :) 

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Finally, finally pick up the keys to our new house on the 27th. It’s been a journey getting to this point. I hate mortgage brokers. Especially Irish ones named David who work for Countrywide Conveyancing Services. Anyway, can’t wait! A new start for me, the missus and the step lad and a house we can all finally call ‘ours’. 

Excellent news! :cheers:

You staying local to KH?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Yeah only about a minute away just up past cocks moor leisure centre. Right by the canal as well! 

images.jpeg

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 2

Â