Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Finally, finally pick up the keys to our new house on the 27th. It’s been a journey getting to this point. I hate mortgage brokers. Especially Irish ones named David who work for Countrywide Conveyancing Services. Anyway, can’t wait! A new start for me, the missus and the step lad and a house we can all finally call ‘ours’. 

Congrats on finally moving house. 

• Thanks 1

advice please. found a house on rightmove that looks great which we've booked in a viewing for but it's currently student accommodation and has tenants in situ until April of next year. hypothetically if we love the place, have offer accepted, when would we complete the purchase? normal time frame or next april?

and how does this work regarding mortgage, are we less likely to have one approved?

any help is appreciated

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

advice please. found a house on rightmove that looks great which we've booked in a viewing for but it's currently student accommodation and has tenants in situ until April of next year. hypothetically if we love the place, have offer accepted, when would we complete the purchase? normal time frame or next april?

and how does this work regarding mortgage, are we less likely to have one approved?

any help is appreciated

Sounds like a bloody nightmare.

Theres no generic answer, it’ll depend on the terms of the sale / the type of contract the tenants have.

I wouldn’t go near anything like that.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

any help is appreciated

As @Genierightly says there is no generic answer.  Does the tenancy allow for early termination and what sort of notice is required.  

Unlike @GenieI wouldn't discount it straight away.   If the tenants cannot be shifted until  April 2022 and you like the house its not a greatly extended time period.   

But I would make it clear that any offer you make is based upon vacant possession.   You want the present owner to be responsible for evictions if they become necessary.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But I would make it clear that any offer you make is based upon vacant possession.   You want the present owner to be responsible for evictions if they become necessary.

and ensure the house is in a certain condition when they leave. You don't want to be paying out if they trash the place in response for being turfed out. Also need to consider if they refuse to leave. It can take many months to evict them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

any help is appreciated

Students, you say....

s-l400.jpg

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

and ensure the house is in a certain condition when they leave. You don't want to be paying out if they trash the place in response for being turfed out. Also need to consider if they refuse to leave. It can take many months to evict them.

didn't think of this....too many red flags i think, we'll pass i reckon!

thanks for the advice, @Mandy Lifeboats too

• Like 1

Market is crazy. We live in Leamington and have just put our house on sale with a view to stepping up slightly in terms of house/budget. The prices are obscene though and feel like even if we sell ours for a good price then we may not find what we want elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

We only moved into our first home in Feb, so glad we did it when we did. We paid £205k and 2 doors down went for £235k today and could have got more but didn't want to risk it being down valued. 

Time will tell if it stay like this but I doubt we would have been able to buy somewhere if we didn't do it when we did. 

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

We only moved into our first home in Feb, so glad we did it when we did. We paid £205k and 2 doors down went for £235k today and could have got more but didn't want to risk it being down valued. 

Time will tell if it stay like this but I doubt we would have been able to buy somewhere if we didn't do it when we did. 

Some houses my way went up for sale for crazy money and haven’t budged. I think it was just speculative to see just how hot the market was. Most have sold for much more then they were at the start of the year

Got an offer accepted on my first house back in July, completed everything with my solicitors, got the mortgage sorted, got a survey done on the house, but now being told by my solicitors that the sellers haven't instructed their solicitors yet and theres no way to know when I'll actually get a move in date.

Have chased up the estate agents, PurpleBricks, but they've been **** useless, every time either me, my solicitors or mortgage lender chase them for an update they say they'll look into it then its radio silence, it's so **** infuriating! Then out of the blue I get a text from the sellers asking if I want them to leave any furniture, so it seems like it's not that they've pulled out. I'm tempted to just text them directly to ask about it, but not sure if that might piss people off that I've not gone through purplebricks, and I don't want them to think I'm getting pushy with it, I just want to know what's happening!

Has anyone else had experience with PurpleBricks? It's been a nightmare trying to get anything out of them so far.

3 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Got an offer accepted on my first house back in July, completed everything with my solicitors, got the mortgage sorted, got a survey done on the house, but now being told by my solicitors that the sellers haven't instructed their solicitors yet and theres no way to know when I'll actually get a move in date.

Have chased up the estate agents, PurpleBricks, but they've been **** useless, every time either me, my solicitors or mortgage lender chase them for an update they say they'll look into it then its radio silence, it's so **** infuriating! Then out of the blue I get a text from the sellers asking if I want them to leave any furniture, so it seems like it's not that they've pulled out. I'm tempted to just text them directly to ask about it, but not sure if that might piss people off that I've not gone through purplebricks, and I don't want them to think I'm getting pushy with it, I just want to know what's happening!

Has anyone else had experience with PurpleBricks? It's been a nightmare trying to get anything out of them so far.

100% get a good relationship going with the sellers so you’ll know what’s going on from the horses mouth.

Solicitors and Estate agents are both massive bull shitters who you can’t trust.

One day it’s “nothing has happened” next day is “it’s ready to go can you move next week?”.

I’d just say that you were told that no solicitors were instructed from their side which seemed strange, is it right?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Solicitors are designed to slow the entire process down by at least two months, whilst you pay them thousands of pounds to write a few copy and paste documents.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

100% get a good relationship going with the sellers so you’ll know what’s going on from the horses mouth.

Solicitors and Estate agents are both massive bull shitters who you can’t trust.

One day it’s “nothing has happened” next day is “it’s ready to go can you move next week?”.

I’d just say that you were told that no solicitors were instructed from their side which seemed strange, is it right?

Yeah, I'll probably end up just going to them with something like that, was just a bit worried I might come across as a bit of a dickhead trying to force it through. Especially since I'm still living with my parents, so have zero pressure to move out.

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Yeah, I'll probably end up just going to them with something like that, was just a bit worried I might come across as a bit of a dickhead trying to force it through. Especially since I'm still living with my parents, so have zero pressure to move out.

If that was me I'd be going insane and desperate to move out and pretty sure my parents would be even more so. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I haven't but a lady I work with has.

"Avoid them like the **** plague" was her comment.

• Thanks 1

Â