Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

Hello all!

Off to view a house tonight, (scary stuff!), and as its the first one I've liked enough from a quick peruse of Rightmove to go and see its my first proper house viewing. I wondered if any of my fellow VT'ers have any advice on the house viewing / buying process? 

Cheers!

Check everything **** works, otherwise you'll move in, open the living room window, and it'll fall off the hinges. True story.

Keep an eye out for any clearly new decorating, there's a good chance it's covering something up.

Check the fuse board, take photos of it, send them to any sparky friends you have to see if it will need upgrading.

Check the water pressure in the shower, I've just moved into a house and we didn't check the shower, the water just dribbles out, it's so bad it all needs replacing, had I checked that before I would have knocked it off the price.

Use your nose, try and smell for things specifically like damp, it can be a bastard

• Like 2

Even if you really, really like it, don't give any indication to the agent.

And if you do really, really like it, don't set your heart on it. Be really clear on what your budget is and be prepared to walk away rather than pay more than you want. It's not like it's the only house in the world you could ever like.

Oh, and take someone with you. Someone who will be your impartial advisor and will be prepared to talk sense to you if you get carried away.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Location, size of the rooms, parking, garden size, neighbours. You can't change those.  

This.

Location, location, location.

Worth paying a bit extra for IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, choffer said:

And if you do really, really like it, don't set your heart on it. Be really clear on what your budget is and be prepared to walk away rather than pay more than you want. It's not like it's the only house in the world you could ever like.

That depends,  For a starter home, yes i'd agree.

For a house you're going to spend the next 40 years in, i'd disagree.

If its a long-term house you really fall in love with, be prepared to pay a bit extra (within reason) to get the house of your dreams. An extra £10-20k is tiny if you compare it to the enjoyment of a perfect house over 25 years of the mortgage or 40 years of living in it.  

i saw about 12 houses i think, i knew which one i wanted to buy within a couple of minutes of walking through the door, before that id been messed about by an estate agent on a house that i thought was ok but the missus loved, the estate agent were offering their own mortgages and put us and another couple against each other, we refused their mortgage the other couple didnt, they got the house

from my experience, especially with the house i bought, people / estate agents cant take photos for shit, see lots of houses even if you arent convinced by the pictures, some of the rooms in my house i think they stood in the middle of the room to take the pictures, they'd had hardly any viewings and it'd been on the market for ages

id check the boiler, that can be thousands if its an old shit one

I guess you have to ignore the decor as much as possible, whether good or bad - that can be changed (and will be several times if you are married)

Instead focus on the boring, grown up things that could be very expensive to overlook. For instance, I bought my house then within two years had to upgrade the fascias/ gutters, repoint one wall, re-do the drainage in the back garden and fix a chimney. Stuff that the 20 something naive non home owner me hadnt ever even realised were things that grown ups had to consider!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I guess you have to ignore the decor as much as possible, whether good or bad - that can be changed (and will be several times if you are married)

Instead focus on the boring, grown up things that could be very expensive to overlook. For instance, I bought my house then within two years had to upgrade the fascias/ gutters, repoint one wall, re-do the drainage in the back garden and fix a chimney. Stuff that the 20 something naive non home owner me hadnt ever even realised were things that grown ups had to consider!

^ ignore that post entirely and do my stuff.  None of that shit matters.

What a load of baloney.

• Like 2

Remember, its very unlikely you will find your perfect property as a first time buyer. So don't worry if it doesn't tick all the boxes, if its your plan to move on within a few years.

I purchased my property knowing I wasn't going to live here longer than 5 years. So in that respect I could overlook a few things. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

4.  If there is a car on the drive, it probably won't be there if the sale goes through.  I thought I had purchased a lovely Volvo, but the bastards took it with them.

This one gave me a genuine lol

I'd always do a driveby before booking a viewing, because you'll find it rules out a lot of houses. When you see the street, the neighbouring houses, what's on the opposite side of the road, how busy the parking is. All that stuff will impact your choice.

• Like 2

Â