Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Basically what you are trying to say is your sex life is full steam ahead, again .

That was never a problem. In fact it was a stress reliever 😊

• Like 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Anyone have experience with selling a house using an online estate agent? I am currently looking at doorsteps.co.uk 

We tried buying a few houses listed with online ones and didn't really enjoy the interactions. It's nice actually having a set person at the agents who you can engage with. Completely get why you'd be tempted though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Anyone have experience with selling a house using an online estate agent? I am currently looking at doorsteps.co.uk 

I have sold two houses online one with Doorsteps. If your happy to show people around your house then I would use them. I struck a deal with the second person who viewed  the property  and shook hands on the price.

One thing I would say is use a decent solicitor as delays caused by the conveyancing can cause hassle as you are the contact for the purchaser.  You do have more control over the whole process and this to me is a major plus as traditional estate agents , in my experience , are self serving and down right bent in some circumstances. 

• Like 1

It was urban sales and lettings but they have or appeared to have withdrawn from the sales market  (refer you to another company) and concentrated on the lettings, which they are very good at BTW.

A house has gone up for sale near me, a nice 4 bed detatched.  £499,999 - you think wow, that's a lot of money, I wonder when it last sold and how much for?

It sold in the same state (it needs decorating and some attention) for £350,000 in 2015. 

So, just sat there, doing **** all, that house added £25,000 a year to its value somehow. 

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

A house has gone up for sale near me, a nice 4 bed detatched.  £499,999 - you think wow, that's a lot of money, I wonder when it last sold and how much for?

It sold in the same state (it needs decorating and some attention) for £350,000 in 2015. 

So, just sat there, doing **** all, that house added £25,000 a year to its value somehow. 

Prices are absolutely obscene at the moment. 
4 bed detached houses that should be £330-£350k are £400-£420k and no stamp duty discount to offset some of it.

95% of For Sale signs have sold across them near me.

The Stamp Duty saving scheme has completely set light to the market, which I’m pretty sure didn’t need any help. People are looking to move anyway now as hybrid working becomes more of a thing.

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

People are looking to move anyway now as hybrid working becomes more of a thing.

I wonder how that's going to work out longterm as copanies are already beginning to make noises about forcing staff back in to offices. Some employees will have the luxury of telling them to shove their job, and get another remote role, but I think it's absolute madness to already be purchasing property assuming that regular remote working will remain an option long-term.

Hybrid working may well end up being the norm, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

The market is built on sand.  Sooner or later, something has to give.  I used to look at the value of my property (prior to knowing that it is effectively worthless currently) and thought that the amount I could make due to my limited equity would be ace and would really set me up for another place! Then I looked at the cost of the types of home I would have considered after this one and scrambled back into the corner of my living room swearing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder how that's going to work out longterm as copanies are already beginning to make noises about forcing staff back in to offices. Some employees will have the luxury of telling them to shove their job, and get another remote role, but I think it's absolute madness to already be purchasing property assuming that regular remote working will remain an option long-term.

Hybrid working may well end up being the norm, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

My employer is making no secret of the fact it will not be going back to how it was. They’ve even stated a 2/3 day split in company wide emails.

Theres already plan to consolidate more teams into less space (and eventually close buildings/offices/sites) as they reduce the desk occupancy allowance down to something like 60% from the current 90%.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trekka said:

The market is built on sand.  Sooner or later, something has to give.  I used to look at the value of my property (prior to knowing that it is effectively worthless currently) and thought that the amount I could make due to my limited equity would be ace and would really set me up for another place! Then I looked at the cost of the types of home I would have considered after this one and scrambled back into the corner of my living room swearing. 

If a £200k house goes up 15% it’s “made” £30k, great! Until you see the £250k house you want to buy has also gone up 15% which is £37,500 so it’s now £7,500 further out of reach than before you “made” a load of money on your current property.

Obviously it works much better if you’re not moving up the ladder. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

If a £200k house goes up 15% it’s “made” £30k, great! Until you see the £250k house you want to buy has also gone up 15% which is £37,500 so it’s now £7,500 further out of reach than before you “made” a load of money on your current property.

Obviously it works much better if you’re not moving up the ladder. 

That's it.  I've been paying my mortgage for 11 years and would have hoped that the extra equity I've now built would have given me hope of buying a house (rather than a flat).  Going by the current price valuations, I think I'd rather stay where I am until things calm down (and I'm able to sell of course).  I really don't want to swap this spacey flat for a small pokey house with no parking just to be able to say I live in a house and I'm free of the service charge. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm playing the waiting game at the minute. Work has made all the right noises about WFH going forward, with maybe 2 or 3 days in the office a month (team meetings etc) but until I get a home working contract,  I won't commit to selling up and moving rural. 

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Yep.

The house I've just exchanged on has 'made' £31,200 a year since 2016. They've added a porch.

There is no reason for me to think that my next house won't be much smaller and in a far cheaper area so, in 20 years, hopefully I'll be much better off. I've pushed the limits now to make the most of it when I'm downsize/change area in retirement. Hopefully any short term bubble burst after all this won't impact me too much as I plan to be in this new place for 20 years.

The neighbours nearly sold in January for £360k but it fell through at the death. The put it back on the market on Monday for £390k and got a knock on the door from a couple who offered £380k without even stepping inside (can't wrap my head around that one). They've got 3 viewings on Friday. I thought the market was calming down but clearly not. 

Â