Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

@jackbauer24

I feel your pain, currently renting in Kings Heath and looking to buy this year locally as step lad has got into Bishop Challoner but **** me the prices are ridiculous. I think it’ll have to be Billesley (my bet to become next Stirchley) or out towards the maypole estates somewhere as we simply cannot afford to buy in Kings Heath itself but going that route increases risk of crime etc... 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our completion is being tentatively pencilled in for May 21.

Might have been sooner but the loon we are buying from has decided to go on holiday for two weeks on April 30.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, villan-scott said:

We’re in the process of remortgaging and taking advantage of the higher property value to tidy up some debts, whilst still at a good LTV, will still be around 80% LTV. 

We will be saving circa £650/£700 per month by consolidating the debts. I’m vowing to never use credit cards again! I’ve found the more I earn the more we spend, and in the end found it impossible to catch up. 

This will be a huge lift of my shoulders and mind. 

Make sure you do something with the money saved. Even if its just half - have it going into an ISA for a rainy day. Always nice to have a pot of cash available. Puts your mind at rest. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Make sure you do something with the money saved. Even if its just half - have it going into an ISA for a rainy day. Always nice to have a pot of cash available. Puts your mind at rest. 

Is there anywhere with any significant interest rates?

I have my savings in an online account earning about 0.00000001% 

Surely even in the UK you can throw your money at a credit card banker and earn 2-3 X the flat banking interest? 

FWIW, and this is a slight digression, I completely understand it sucks to see savings lose value due to inflation. But you really need to sit down and do the numbers on it, cause it's not a whole lot of money in the big picture.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Anyone actually got experience from building your own house? Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

I know this is common sense but make sure you have good builders. If you have a cowboy they really can mess you up if you have no knowledge about building work. They will cut corners and do things cheaply.

I personally wouldnt. We did it in cyprus and it was a absolute nightmare. Good luck with it if you go ahead. I hope you have better joy than we did!

It's been a huge pain.

100% because of COVID/paperwork though. Everything got held up at every stage.

However, the work done is great and because we're doing it with my partner's dad, we have full control at every stage.

I built an extension last year with a guy I've known for circa 20 years who does houses up and sells them on (Well, he did most I was a labourer for him). Was an... experience for sure. Didn't realise how much paperwork there was prior with planning, councils, building regs etc... all done now though. Took 6 months but well happy with the outcome. Knocked through the inside wall from living room to kitchen to make one big kitchen, then had the living room in the extension. Few piccies.

https://imgur.com/a/ayy8N8x

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I built an extension last year with a guy I've known for circa 20 years who does houses up and sells them on (Well, he did most I was a labourer for him). Was an... experience for sure. Didn't realise how much paperwork there was prior with planning, councils, building regs etc... all done now though. Took 6 months but well happy with the outcome. Knocked through the inside wall from living room to kitchen to make one big kitchen, then had the living room in the extension. Few piccies.

https://imgur.com/a/ayy8N8x

Looks nice 👍 

• Like 1

I’m getting an extension on my house soon. Any tips, recommended builders or discounts appreciated :D

We have the plans in progress as one of our neighbours is an architect, and he’ll submit planning permission/regs etc. But after that, we have nothing arranged.

Two storey extension, across the back of the house and wrapping round the side on the ground floor. Kitchen to be bigger, boiler moved, bathroom moved, 2 new bedrooms. I’m guessing it’ll cost about £5,000.

Spoiler

If only!

Edited by Rob182

On 26/04/2021 at 10:01, StefanAVFC said:

It's been a huge pain.

100% because of COVID/paperwork though. Everything got held up at every stage.

However, the work done is great and because we're doing it with my partner's dad, we have full control at every stage.

I'm guessing since they are Polish, your gfs family is building it? Or are you building it ?

55 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm guessing since they are Polish, your gfs family is building it? Or are you building it ?

Her dad's business, with many workers, including other members of the family

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Her dad's business, with many workers, including other members of the family

Yeah suspected as much. Same thing here where the dad is in construction and wants to build stuff. I think we can save money on it, but it's a lot of work and shite to deal with.

45 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Gearing up to exchange contracts and hopefully move on the 17th.

Need to start packing! 

I packed way too early, house has been full of boxes for nearly two months so we pretty much live in the bedroom.

has it's good points though ;)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I packed way too early, house has been full of boxes for nearly two months so we pretty much live in the bedroom.

The wife's already said we'll take the bed down in advance and pretend we're camping. I don't think so. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, rjw63 said:

That you packed the wife in a box? 😉

Â