Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

I think when I sell up, i'm going to move into rented accommodation for a while. Weigh up my options then and i'll be in a good position as I'll be a cash buyer with no chain behind me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think when I sell up, i'm going to move into rented accommodation for a while. Weigh up my options then and i'll be in a good position as I'll be a cash buyer with no chain behind me. 

This can work well, unless the market then jumps up 10% like it did last year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

This can work well, unless the market then jumps up 10% like it did last year. 

True, but the sort of properties i'd be looking at, generally, aren't the ones that are rocketing. I'd be looking at quirky places or 1 bed cottages. The real growth is in the big family home with a garden and 3/4 bedrooms for the home office and a back garden for a hot-tub and trampoline. 

I'm not even sure i'd buy another property. It might be a canal boat instead. Or a motorhome (less likely). Got lots of ideas bouncing ahead my head and lots of spreadsheets with financial calculations/scenarios on! Stuff like would I be better renting and investing my money and would that return more than buying a property and its increase in value over time. Thats probably for another thread in due course. 

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't recommend you move into a real estate job Dem :) 

Once exchanged he ca  do as he pleases though.

If they pull out after the exchange you can suit the  crap out of ans keep the deposit

He only has to be nice to them until exchange is completed after exchange he can  do as he pleases once completion date is agreed 😁

Edited by Demitri_C

I just spotted my "on a budget" dream house. Going to likely make an offer soon. The housing market in Maine is bananas right now so I'm sure I'll have heavy competition. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Once exchanged he ca  do as he pleases though.

If they pull out after the exchange you can suit the  crap out of ans keep the deposit

He only has to be nice to them until exchange is completed after exchange he can  do as he pleases once completion date is agreed 😁

This is the problem. We're meant to be moving in 5 days having agreed that date weeks ago but we still haven't exchanged as their deposit hasn't been sorted. 

I'm not sure if the delay is them or their solicitors or a combo of both. What I do know is their solicitors got snarky with ours when they chased for an update and when the estate agents spoke to the buyers they said they were waiting for their solicitors to approve bank statements. 

I've already been nice to them letting them come round and measure up and stuff but now I'm just annoyed. 

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

This is the problem. We're meant to be moving in 5 days having agreed that date weeks ago but we still haven't exchanged as their deposit hasn't been sorted. 

I'm not sure if the delay is them or their solicitors or a combo of both. What I do know is their solicitors got snarky with ours when they chased for an update and when the estate agents spoke to the buyers they said they were waiting for their solicitors to approve bank statements. 

I've already been nice to them letting them come round and measure up and stuff but now I'm just annoyed. 

I know its no consolation but we didn’t exchange until the day before we moved. My estate agent who was fantastic said the lateness is getting more and more common. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I know its no consolation but we didn’t exchange until the day before we moved. My estate agent who was fantastic said the lateness is getting more and more common. 

It's the fact that we can't plan properly. I have a big week of work the week after and no idea if the Internet will be available as I can't confirm to the isp that we're moving. 

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

It's the fact that we can't plan properly. I have a big week of work the week after and no idea if the Internet will be available as I can't confirm to the isp that we're moving. 

I had exactly the same issues. It was a massive pain. Nothing was firmed up. I despise the people who sold us this house. 

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I had exactly the same issues. It was a massive pain. Nothing was firmed up. I despise the people who sold us this house. 

What's really annoying me is the buyers waited 3 months before arranging the surveyor which delayed everything. They then said they wanted to move 2 weeks ago pushing us really hard to agree whilst only giving a weeks notice and we had to point out that whikst we're fine to move their solicitors have said no. 

43 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

But how do you agree a move in date until you exchanged?

We didnt agree a date until the day of exchange?

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm not even sure i'd buy another property. It might be a canal boat instead. 

This has crossed my mind a lot. But I was slightly put off when a friend accused me of being a Water-Pikey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But how do you agree a move in date until you exchanged?

We didnt agree a date until the day of exchange?

We've agreed a date in principle for us to all aim at based off the date that was free for all parties and worked for commitments such as nurseries /schools. Our buyers wanted to move two weeks ago. That dates not legally binding but needed to be confirmed up in advance to confirm moving firms and stuff. 

Literally everything but the deposit has been sorted so it should have been a quick fix to exchange as they should have been able to do that in 2 weeks allowing us to exchange already. 

54 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

We've agreed a date in principle for us to all aim at based off the date that was free for all parties and worked for commitments such as nurseries /schools. Our buyers wanted to move two weeks ago. That dates not legally binding but needed to be confirmed up in advance to confirm moving firms and stuff. 

Literally everything but the deposit has been sorted so it should have been a quick fix to exchange as they should have been able to do that in 2 weeks allowing us to exchange already. 

Ah so it was verbal. Yeah unfortunately verbal doesnt mean anything in the law. I think there has to be a better regulated process where when you get up to a certain point in the house buying process where the buyee has to put down a refundable  deposit to show their intentions.

It sounds to me its eelay tactics from them. I hope they dont pull the "going to try negotiate price lower om exchange" knowing your desperate to exchange. 

People that do this are rocket polishers

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Having only bought one house and recently, so not the most clued up. I'm amazed at how poor some solicitors are, even considering my process was from last August to Feb which was a very busy time for them.

My solicitor was always on the ball. Bank statements were pretty much the first thing they did along with ID. Which makes sense as it seems like such a crucial early stage to know if you can afford the deposit and where the money is coming from. My brother in law was buying at the same time as us (actually started before and competed after with no chain) but they seemed to be waiting on some searches which ours were again done early on, their seller also seemed a pain. Plenty of issues with one of the solicitors in my chain of three too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

This has crossed my mind a lot. But I was slightly put off when a friend accused me of being a Water-Pikey.

Nothing wrong with being a traveller of the waterways. Think of all the dogs you could steal off the towpath and scrap metal you find in the cut. 

• Like 1

Â