Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

I'm having the worst time with my missus brother. The guys a absolute prick.

My missus and her brother inheritated two properties when their mum passed away to suicide. The house is rented and my missus has let her brother live there for 5 years and he has paid no rent to her her nothing. The house is rented and my missus lives with me.

We wanted to buy his share out if the house  he plan out refuses to sell to us but will put it on the market "after brexit" we want to sell both asap as she qualifies for some tax reliefs which expire in April 2020. He is just being difficult with absolutely everything. It's turned nasty from him and I personally want to go smash his face in for the way he has treated my missus.

We want to move and he just isn't playing ball I can only see this going court sadly. Would be great of we could just sell her share so we can get the money and get from this loser.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Or smash your missus's brothers face in. I've heard that sells houses 

Could put him under the patio?

Money can rip families apart, seen it before. If you can't reason with people, let the courts sort it and once done, don't bother speaking to that family member again. 

@Demitri_C you mentioned 2 houses? What happened to the other one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Money can rip families apart, seen it before. If you can't reason with people, let the courts sort it and once done, don't bother speaking to that family member again. 

Trump and the Americans blasted it to bits this morning.

• Haha 1

On 25/10/2019 at 11:09, Rodders said:

5 months after having the bid accepted it's finally over - my partner is picking up the keys this evening. Christ. Now just to move over the weekend... 

pivot moving GIF 

As it turns out the gif choice was eerily spooky too. The previous owners as part of the stuff left behind, had left behind a bulky two seater sofa on the top floor, and we could not move it down the stair cases no matter how we tried to pivot it, and ended up puncturing one wall and quite a lot of bannister paint ended up being scraped off by the bastard chair. How they got it up there I have no idea. It was also left in a small box room, where the sofa is so big relative to the room you can't shut the door. What were they thinking? So, we'll have to take an axe to it at some point, or remove all the bannisters, but **** that that.

19 hours ago, Rodders said:

As it turns out the gif choice was eerily spooky too. The previous owners as part of the stuff left behind, had left behind a bulky two seater sofa on the top floor, and we could not move it down the stair cases no matter how we tried to pivot it, and ended up puncturing one wall and quite a lot of bannister paint ended up being scraped off by the bastard chair. How they got it up there I have no idea. It was also left in a small box room, where the sofa is so big relative to the room you can't shut the door. What were they thinking? So, we'll have to take an axe to it at some point, or remove all the bannisters, but **** that that.

At least you know why they left it behind now...

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 19:00, Xela said:

Yep. But my fiances brother has just turned into a utter prick. His wife has turned him against his whole family. They are such a nice family yet his wife has a problem with them all. He is a utter wimp. 

So one house is rented to tenants. The other property is a flat he is living in yet pays no rent to his sister but takes half the rent from the other house. He is ripping her off.

On 27/10/2019 at 18:14, Xela said:

Go see a solicitor and let them sort it. 

Didn't really what to do that as costs a shit load and the only winners are the solictors. But I can only see this going to court sadly.

I don't like the guy a complete and utter loser.

@Demitri_C sounds like a really tough situation. There's no easy answer with stuff like this.

You do have to be slightly careful as by virtue of him having lived in the house for so long with no challenge he may have rights that make it difficult to displace him.

Is there a reason for him being willing to sell 'after Brexit' or does it just seem like an arbitrary deadline?

16 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@Demitri_C sounds like a really tough situation. There's no easy answer with stuff like this.

You do have to be slightly careful as by virtue of him having lived in the house for so long with no challenge he may have rights that make it difficult to displace him.

Is there a reason for him being willing to sell 'after Brexit' or does it just seem like an arbitrary deadline?

I don't want to remove him I want him to start paying her rent as he is refusing to do anything yet it will cost my missus 40k and him 40k(not bothered about him) if the other house that they rent to tenants is not sold before April 2020 as they lose their tax reliefs.

No reason at all just being difficult to prove a point to his sister.  He just likes to an in control. He is a utter arsehole.

On 28/10/2019 at 12:58, Rodders said:

So, we'll have to take an axe to it at some point, or remove all the bannisters, but **** that that.

Axing a sofa to bits is an absolute friggin' nightmare.  I had to do it with a cheap Argos sofa a few years back to get it out the house, into the boot and down to the skip but bah gawd did it take forever.  The dishevelled, cheap crapness of the sofa belied just how sturdy they'd somehow made the damn frame.

Then again, you might be a big bag o' muscly man-juice and have an easier time of it than I did.  Either way, if I had to do it again I'd either hire a chainsaw or just move house.

Don’t cut it up and take it down the tip. Absolute mare of a lost day.

Burn it.

Open the windows obviously, and pack some firelighters in there because if its newer than 1980’s it’ll be flame retardant. 

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't want to remove him I want him to start paying her rent as he is refusing to do anything yet it will cost my missus 40k and him 40k(not bothered about him) if the other house that they rent to tenants is not sold before April 2020 as they lose their tax reliefs.

No reason at all just being difficult to prove a point to his sister.  He just likes to an in control. He is a utter arsehole.

I absolutely despise people who try these powerplays on family members...but maybe you need to fight fire with fire. Just move in with him and walk around the house bollock naked until he gives in and agrees to pay rent or sell up.

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I absolutely despise people who try these powerplays on family members...but maybe you need to fight fire with fire. Just move in with him and walk around the house bollock naked until he gives in and agrees to pay rent or sell up.

Legally I have heard things like you can dump your stuff at his flat and he can't remove it.

This guy sam I can't tell you what a arse he is. He bullies my fiance who doesn't have a bad bone in her body. I want to go ruin him as he is a wimp who thinks he is tough picking on his sister but he is terrified of his elephant of a wife.

But she tells me to stay out of it. I said I will but if he upsets her one more time I'm going to his house and it will get ugly.

Yeah so we are stuck at the moment. I know he wont have to pay tax on the flat as he has that as that his residential home but my missus will.

Eventually he will want to move as it's only a one bed and he has a baby and a cat. I'm thinking that just leave it until after our wedding in Sept. Still nothing legal action.  But what I will do is not sell the flat he is living in as it benefits him and not my missus. Then he is screwed and won't have a large enough deposit.

Edited by Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I want to go ruin him as he is a wimp who thinks he is tough picking on his sister but he is terrified of his elephant of a wife.

Just brought a load of coffee up through my nose laughing at this. Wonderful.

• Haha 1

On 28/10/2019 at 12:58, Rodders said:

Turn it upside down, there will probably be bolt on arms on this sofa

• 7 months later...

I'm moving to the mainland, which is bad as I hear that people on the mainland are weird, but hey... and have decided to take on some extra work for the next 6-12 months in order to improve my chances of getting a decent place. I already have savings, I am earning good money and working 39 hours per week. This will be my first attempt at buying and I am looking for tips on what I should do.

This weather has made me desperate for a garden. I know it doesn't happen often but the last 2 years seem to have been really warm. 

Been spending a lot of time on Zoopla recently looking. 

• 3 weeks later...

Guessing there might be something somewhere in this thread but is anyone able to offer some advice about mortgage advisors?

Is it better to go for a paid one rather than free? Does it make a difference, are the paid ones likely to have access to more possibilities?

I've been recommended one who is a couple of hundred quid but no charge if you ever use them again.

As a general rule paid advisors offer a wider range of products. Free advisors tend to make their money from selling particular products. 

I am in no way qualified to give advice but here goes...........

Go for a balance between a low rate and a fixed period. That gives you security in being able to budget. But make sure there is no fee that outweighs any benefit. 

Make sure there is no penalty for early repayment or overpaying each month. 

If finances allow overpay your monthly payment. It will save you thousands in the long run. 

That advice worked for me. 

• Like 1

Â