Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

It never ends.

My solicitor e-mailed me last Thursday "We've received the documentation from Orbit, we'll be sending this on for you next week. Please read, sign and have a witness also sign. Then send it back as soon as possible." I forwarded it on to my contact at Orbit, who said that was sent to my solicitor on the 5th of June, a full 3 weeks earlier.

I chased them this week, to receive an e-mail today. "Good morning Kurt, we'll be sending the documentation out to you tonight."

giphy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

It never ends.

My solicitor e-mailed me last Thursday "We've received the documentation from Orbit, we'll be sending this on for you next week. Please read, sign and have a witness also sign. Then send it back as soon as possible." I forwarded it on to my contact at Orbit, who said that was sent to my solicitor on the 5th of June, a full 3 weeks earlier.

I chased them this week, to receive an e-mail today. "Good morning Kurt, we'll be sending the documentation out to you tonight."

giphy

Don't half make things difficult don't they!

Would it be easier for you to go to the solicitors and sign it there - saves all the delays with post etc. That's what I did (although i did live 90 seconds walk from the solicitors office!)

The bloke who sold me my place phoned me up the other day and basically said he installed the kitchen himself just before he moved out but was now worried that he hasn't connected the gas up to the hob properly/safely.  Absolute bell end.  I've got someone coming out tomorrow to sort it hopefully but I don't know my rights regarding who should pay.  I really like the kitchen and it was one of its biggest selling points, but if I knew it might explode I probably wouldn't have bought it.  I don't understand why he has only now thought to tell me 8 months after moving in.

Edited by sharkyvilla

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Don't half make things difficult don't they!

Would it be easier for you to go to the solicitors and sign it there - saves all the delays with post etc. That's what I did (although i did live 90 seconds walk from the solicitors office!)

Unfortunately with it being shared ownership, you have to use one off the property developers list, they were all 100 miles + away, so unfortunately not something I can do!

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

The bloke who sold me my place phoned me up the other day and basically said he installed the kitchen himself just before he moved out but was now worried that he hasn't connected the gas up to the hob properly/safely.  Absolute bell end.  I've got someone coming out tomorrow to sort it hopefully but I don't know my rights regarding who should pay.  I really like the kitchen and it was one of its biggest selling points, but if I knew it might explode I probably wouldn't have bought it.  I don't understand why he has only now thought to tell me 8 months after moving in.

Did your surveyor not tell you to get your kitchen etc checked over before exchanging contracts? 

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Probably because he thinks he can now get away with it.

I'm no expert but if the guy has literally rung you up to admit to potentially **** it up, surely it would be on him to pay for it?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Probably because he thinks he can now get away with it.

I'm no expert but if the guy has literally rung you up to admit to potentially **** it up, surely it would be on him to pay for it?

Especially if it's an email *evidence klaxon!* 

Well the plumber came out and fixed it reasonably quickly but it was a particularly stupid and dangerous way he'd hooked it up.  He said he's having his new place fitted with a new kitchen, which is why he suddenly became aware of the fact you shouldnt use a rubber hose behind a hot oven and rang me up.  I can't be arsed to go through legal shenanigans (there's always the chance they could have said tough shit, I bought it and should have known) so we're going half and half.  Just think morally he should have offered to pay, as did my plumber.  Life goes on.

• 1 month later...
On 14/07/2017 at 21:34, Kingman said:

Recent months we've seen global credit impulse collapsing, concerted moves to tighten monetary policy, BoE warnings about systemic risk from household debt, sharp increases in defaults, yet only the UK mass media suddenly reporting crash narrative when its been bubbling for months and months, (anchoring expectations of a floor, of course), collapsing instructions, sales and falling prices. 

Im expecting huge debt defaults/liquidation, I think the house price declines will be faster than ever before in our history, there is a very good chance the US equity markets see a big fall, 

The entire market depends on lending because apparently there's demand at any rate for credit when it comes to housing at any price. Yesterday the BoE spelt it out in black and white for anyone who's not been paying attention - banks will be lending less because they've created another systemic risk to the economy through cheap credit, by doing exactly what the BoE itself encouraged. 

Remember the Fed tightened already, Even if they ran off the balance sheet a bit it wont help main street, Gold has popped a bit but the equity markets continue to ignore the facts in front of them.

Wont be long before they roll over i expect, The dollar index is on its way to 88 as i expected at 103 but i had thought gold would run up to $1450ish on the sell off in the dollar, hasn't happened though it might need the equity markets to sell off a bit to get going.

The Fed has boxed itself into a corner and will be key because they will be slow to accept they need to act, If Yellen tightens again she will just ensure the collapse is even bigger than huge.

House prices here in the UK will be one of the hardest hit assets i expect. The next 6 months into late autumn will be critical for how this plays out. 

So 18 month of kicking the can down the road, Today Gold is up to 15 year high over $1500 and the arse hole has just fell out of the Dow jones (800 points down today) 4th largest point decline in history. 

The US & UK Yields Invert, The yield on two-year and 10-year Treasury bonds inverted for the first time since June 2007, Investors fleeing riskier assets drove the 30-year bond’s yield to a record low and so the 10-year yield fell below the two-year. 

The 10-year Treasury yield dipped as much as 1.9 basis points below the two-year yield in what’s considered a harbinger of a U.S. economic recession beginning in the next 18 months. That expectation, nurtured in recent weeks by worsening U.S.-China trade relations and signs global growth is slowing, was bolstered by weak Chinese and German economic data

Some discussions here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20694275

Edited by Kingman

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever had an issue where the vendor's can't provide building reg certificates? It appears the house we're looking at was never insured and there's no details for the garage conversion either. The solicitors have suggested an indemnity policy - which I'm unsure about as it sounds so dodgy. "Don't tell anyone about the policy, and don't try and fix any problem" 🤨 The other option is requesting regularisation, from the seller, and getting them to get retrospective consent acquired. Which sounds like that would cause a huge delay, and they might not want to do that. 

We've also discovered the private road in the estate hasn't yet been adopted by the council. - estate is about 15 years old, and it seems they've been waiting for a water company to pass it off ok, or something like that, I'm not good at making sense of the legalese language. 

All sounds depressing as it feels like we've gone from finally being so close to getting a completion date, to possibly having to pull out altogether. The indemnity policy has completely spooked my partner. I'm more amenable to signing it, but obviously need to find out info if it affects our ability to alter the property / sell it later on down the line.

Are we being over cautious in considering pulling out or is this quite "normal"? I mean part of thinks, surely the mortgage people wouldn't have signed off on loaning us money if it was a serious issue, and presumably all the other houses on the estate would have the same problem, but I dunno. Obviously we have sent questions off to the solicitors for clarity etc, but still curious to know if anyone else has experience of this?

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Has anyone ever had an issue where the vendor's can't provide building reg certificates? It appears the house we're looking at was never insured and there's no details for the garage conversion either. The solicitors have suggested an indemnity policy - which I'm unsure about as it sounds so dodgy. "Don't tell anyone about the policy, and don't try and fix any problem" 🤨 The other option is requesting regularisation, from the seller, and getting them to get retrospective consent acquired. Which sounds like that would cause a huge delay, and they might not want to do that. 

We've also discovered the private road in the estate hasn't yet been adopted by the council. - estate is about 15 years old, and it seems they've been waiting for a water company to pass it off ok, or something like that, I'm not good at making sense of the legalese language. 

All sounds depressing as it feels like we've gone from finally being so close to getting a completion date, to possibly having to pull out altogether. The indemnity policy has completely spooked my partner. I'm more amenable to signing it, but obviously need to find out info if it affects our ability to alter the property / sell it later on down the line.

Are we being over cautious in considering pulling out or is this quite "normal"? I mean part of thinks, surely the mortgage people wouldn't have signed off on loaning us money if it was a serious issue, and presumably all the other houses on the estate would have the same problem, but I dunno. Obviously we have sent questions off to the solicitors for clarity etc, but still curious to know if anyone else has experience of this?

Yea indemnity policies are quite common.  I had one.

My house was built in 1955, suffered subsidence in 1996 which we don't have to declare for house insurance purposes because of how long ago it was, but we took one out to cover us against any historic issues, should they arise. 

Have a look into it case by case obviously, but it's like I always say "stop being a **** pussy". :P  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Unadopted roads aren't normally a big problem. It simply means the council accept no responsibility for maintaining them. If a pot holes appears you shouldn't expect them to repair it. It's up to the people who use that road to repair it or just ignore it. 

As a rule of thumb councils tend to adopt roads that lead onto an adopted road at both ends. Even dead ends might be adopted if they are used by enough people. 

The main reason for not adopting is if the road doesn't fit in with the council's wider policies. For instance if the road is a shortcut that screws up their preferred traffic flow. 

If a road hasn't been adopted for 15 years my gut feeling is that there's a problem. But is it a problem to you? If that road were in a terrible state of repair would it matter to you?  

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Unadopted roads aren't normally a big problem. It simply means the council accept no responsibility for maintaining them. If a pot holes appears you shouldn't expect them to repair it. It's up to the people who use that road to repair it or just ignore it. 

As a rule of thumb councils tend to adopt roads that lead onto an adopted road at both ends. Even dead ends might be adopted if they are used by enough people. 

The main reason for not adopting is if the road doesn't fit in with the council's wider policies. For instance if the road is a shortcut that screws up their preferred traffic flow. 

If a road hasn't been adopted for 15 years my gut feeling is that there's a problem. But is it a problem to you? If that road were in a terrible state of repair would it matter to you?  

Thanks. I think in fairness the road issue is less concerning to us. There was documentation saying that ultimate responsibility does still lie with the original builders so we are probably ok there, but I suspect it's the legal stuff about the other policy going"ssh don't tell anyone" which struck us as strange. But a couple of colleagues have also mentioned they've gotten a similar policy before, so as like @lapal_fan said hopefully then it's not too bad. I really can't be **** to re-start the house search again if I can avoid it.

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

On this part, I wouldn't worry.  The indemnity policy will protect you should the Council/LA decide to bring a claim against you as the work is not certified and that's it.  FWIW, I did the same when purchasing my current house for some decking which is over 30cm in height as planning permission was not sought.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Rodders said:

5 months after having the bid accepted it's finally over - my partner is picking up the keys this evening. Christ. Now just to move over the weekend... 

pivot moving GIF 

Good luck mate.

Just try to stay a bit calmer than your general persona on here though, or you'll lose your partner later, yea? 

;)  

Congrats! 

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Good luck mate.

Just try to stay a bit calmer than your general persona on here though, or you'll lose your partner later, yea? 

;)  

Congrats! 

Is my general persona that angry? I had no idea!

But thanks :)  

22 hours ago, Rodders said:

5 months after having the bid accepted it's finally over - my partner is picking up the keys this evening. Christ. Now just to move over the weekend... 

pivot moving GIF 

Nice weekend for it!

good luck and try and enjoy the experience of moving, at some point you get a bag of chips and new house sex

usually at different points in the weekend, but you never know

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Nice weekend for it!

good luck and try and enjoy the experience of moving, at some point you get a bag of chips and new house sex

usually at different points in the weekend, but you never know

The days we moved out were pissing with rain as well, but yesterday was ridiculous, making several trips to a self storage place and back was a very damp experience. Still, just glad that most things are actually working in the house even if the previous owner left so much shit here ( 2 sofas, 3 lounge chairs, lamps and a whole host of kitchen and bathroom equipment ) that we've made changing the locks an instant priority as I'm not 100% convinced there isn't still someone who thinks they live here.

Â