Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Finally got to see my folks new place yesterday. Its lovely, Village is quiet and nothing but views of sheep from the back garden. A number of the neighbours ave already been round to introduce themselves. A property community feel.

Its made me want to live somewhere more rural!

Nosey words removed!.. **** em ;)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2018 at 17:21, Stevo985 said:

Getting my house valued tomorrow. Already told the tenants I'm exploring putting it on the market. 

If I get a decent valuation I'm selling.

So, are you selling? :)

19 hours ago, Xela said:

So, are you selling? :)

Yeah I think so.

Only got one valuation before christmas and it was right around where I wanted it to be. If I could sell at the price they suggested (even the lower part of the range) I'd have a lovely chunk of equity to put into the deposit for the new house.

Going to get at least one more valuation next week and then make a final decision.

I still can't figure out if I'll need to pay tax on my "profit" from selling the house though. It's so confusing. You don't need to pay it if it's your main home. Which I guess it isn't for me because I rent it out. But I live in a rented flat. So it's still the only house I own, even though I don't live in it.

I've found advice like this on Which

Provided the property genuinely has been your main home at some point, you won't need to pay capital gains tax for the time it was your main residence, plus the past 18 months of ownership (even if you weren't living in the property during those 18 months). People with a disability or those who move into a care home can claim for up to the past 36 months of ownership. 

Which suggests I won't need to pay it. It genuinely was my main home. I lived there for 6 years before I moved out. And it will have been rented out for about 30 months by the time I sell it so I think I'm covered.

It's hard to find anything concrete though.

Edited by Stevo985

• 4 weeks later...

Some advice needed folks.

As I've mentioned I want to sell my house.
My tenants are prepared to make me an offer to buy the property, which would work out excellently for me as it would be quick and easy with no chains anywhere.

What I'm wondering is can I do it without an estate agent? I don't need to advertise or find a buyer. What would I need to cover to make it possible?

I'll do my own research of course but always happy to ask VT for some advice

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My tenants are prepared to make me an offer to buy the property, which would work out excellently for me as it would be quick and easy with no chains anywhere.

What I'm wondering is can I do it without an estate agent? I don't need to advertise or find a buyer. What would I need to cover to make it possible?

No need for an agent.  Their part is finding a buyer.  Straight to the solicitor and away you go.

I used this website to get quotes for my recent move - https://www.reallymoving.com/conveyancing

Want to find and compare local conveyancing solicitors? We provide instant quotes from a panel of over 60 quality conveyancing solicitors and Licensed Conveyancers. Our conveyancing firms are ready to move quickly on your house sale, purchase or remortgage and are regulated by the SRA or the CLC. We credit check every company and we have thousands of reviews supplied by previous clients via a secure link. On average, we save our users £365 per transaction.

Saved me about £600 compared to just using the solicitor down the road, even though the ones this site found were still local too.

For my first purchase, I used a solicitor up in Blackburn.  No need for them to be local unless you're in a mad rush as everything has to go in the post anyway.

• Like 1

To be honest I have a solicitor in mind. He handled my mom's recent sale and purchase and was very good and pretty cheap. So my plan was to go for him and recommend him to my tenants which I would assume would speed the process up as well.

I'm not in a MAD rush, but the idea would be to get it sold before the Brexit shit hits the fan too much!

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Had exactly the same scenario just before Xmas, so much easier if you find your own buyer. No need for estate agents, always nice to save all that money.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

To be honest I have a solicitor in mind. He handled my mom's recent sale and purchase and was very good and pretty cheap. So my plan was to go for him and recommend him to my tenants which I would assume would speed the process up as well.

I'm not in a MAD rush, but the idea would be to get it sold before the Brexit shit hits the fan too much!

Don't think you're both allowed to have the same solicitor but I'm not 100% on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you need a more local option Garner Canning (on Mere Green Island) and Quality (Lichfield Road, just past the Green House) are decent. The former sorted my purchase and the latter the sale of my folks house. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of moving more rurally. Few pawns to move first at work but getting there. I'm pretty sure I could sell my place quickly as they sell like hotcakes due to the location, its just choosing where to go! 

Mortgage related query here:

My 2 year fixed term ends in June, but my situation is going to change a bit in that my partner is going to move in with me at some point soon, and we'll want to add her name on the mortgage, but we're also aware that we will be finding a new place that is ours, and a bit bigger as the plan is to expand the family ( :o ) next year.

Is the most sensible thing to just let the fixed term go back to variable rates, for the time that we are looking, I would say we would hopefully have found a new place in 6,9 months time, a year max. Or should we still aim for a new fixed rate and just move that over once we find a place?

Fixed term remortgage and switching I think are likely to come with a couple of fees, but is that still likely to be cheaper than variable rates? 

Sounds like a dumb question but I'm not very good at this stuff, and before / if I speak to a broker any informed opinion is welcome. My sense is that at the current rate they are increasing the interest rates, I shouldn't find my current payment c£260 going up too dramatically over the course of a year - ( though I don't know if the payment will automatically jump once the fixed term expires ),  if they're only going up 0.25% at a time but I may easily be wrong / missing something. 

I suppose the other variable is that my first term was taken out on a long span (  37 years I think ) but with a partner on better money than me, there's an obvious advantage / capacity in  reducing that term again with another fixed term. 

6 hours ago, Rodders said:

Current fixed term was on 2.2% I've not yet looked at what options there are. I'm mostly just keen that I'm suddenly not going to be facing an extra 1 or 2 hundred quid a month payments.

The SVR that it will default to after the fix ends will usually be a lot more expensive. Should tell you what it will be on your last mortgage statement. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/01/2019 at 14:01, Stevo985 said:

Annoyingly it's fallen through.

Tenants offered me the full asking price (or what would have been the asking price if it went to market).
They claimed they'd seen a mortgage broker who had told them what they could afford to borrow, but hadn't paid for their mortgage certificate/agreement in principle. Said they had an appointment this week to get it (this was a couple of weeks ago so I was already a bit cautious as to why it would take so long)

Anyway they had their appointment this week and turns out they can't borrow as much as they thought. About 20 grand less in fact.

Not sure yet whether they're trying to get some money off, I don't think they are as I've spoken to them plenty and they seem genuine, but you never know.
I won't be budging anyway. It's already **** me for trying to get it sold before Brexit. 

So going to put it on the market and see what happens.

Â