Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

Had the sellers estate agent calling me today. He randomly calls me and says the buyer wants to exchange in 24 hours.

I mean seriously we all want a quick sale but bloody hell never heard something so ridiculous in all my life. Havent even completed the searches yet. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Had the sellers estate agent calling me today. He randomly calls me and says the buyer wants to exchange in 24 hours.

I mean seriously we all want a quick sale but bloody hell never heard something so ridiculous in all my life. Havent even completed the searches yet. 

Sounds like some kind of tactical move. They’re up to something...

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know of a way to check if a house has been sold or not?

A couple of houses we were viewing back in February/March have been taken off the market. But according to Rightmove they haven't been sold (you can view their sale history).
But I don't know how reliable or accurate or timely that is.

Is there like a definitive source that would tell you that?

Basically we're back looking again and if we thought those houses would come back on the market any time soon we'd be more inclined to hold out and wait for them to be on sale again. If they've been sold it may tempt us to more actively look elsewhere

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

@Stevo985 you can use the free basic search on https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry to find out when a property last sold and for how much. I think Rightmove probably uses this as their source (though who knows how often they update it).

Cheers. Doesn't appear to be free unfortunately (although only £3 so probably worth paying)

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd be concerned. As genie says they're up to something, and probably have no intention of completing it, they know a 24 hour deadline out of the blue is going to seem prohibitive when you're talking about a house move. Sounds like they're looking for an excuse not to sell to you. Either that, or they know that something dodgy is being hidden either with the house or the environs maybe. I dunno, maybe that's alarmist on my behalf, but the last thing I'd want to do is be forced into rushing a house purchase. Assume you are chatting to your solicitors about that?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I'd be concerned. As genie says they're up to something, and probably have no intention of completing it, they know a 24 hour deadline out of the blue is going to seem prohibitive when you're talking about a house move. Sounds like they're looking for an excuse not to sell to you. Either that, or they know that something dodgy is being hidden either with the house or the environs maybe. I dunno, maybe that's alarmist on my behalf, but the last thing I'd want to do is be forced into rushing a house purchase. Assume you are chatting to your solicitors about that?

Well according to the agent the sellers want to complete as they have had a offer accepted for a new build property and the company is telling them they need to complete as soon as possible.

Sounds abit fishy to me. 

It sounds like tactics from the agents to try get the sale done quickly as they want their commission.  But you are right i will speak to my solictor about this as i dont understand what the hell the rush is. 

I cant complete anyway as searches are not done and my fiances property has not sold as tenant has not left yet

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve noticed that some houses when they are sold Rightmove shows them as sold, and others are marked as “taken off the market”. 
I wonder if this is a way of agents not paying Rightmove fees (like on eBay).

Yeah there is some houses still on there saying sold STC and i know for fact they have completed. So why are they still on there?

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well according to the agent the sellers want to complete as they have had a offer accepted for a new build property and the company is telling them they need to complete as soon as possible.

Sounds abit fishy to me. 

It sounds like tactics from the agents to try get the sale done quickly as they want their commission.  But you are right i will speak to my solictor about this as i dont understand what the hell the rush is. 

I cant complete anyway as searches are not done and my fiances property has not sold as tenant has not left yet

Having bought a new build I found that they are extremely pushy to complete quickly. They will no doubt be telling the people you’re buying from that they have x days to exchange otherwise they’ll either remove any incentives they’ve offered them or sell it to someone else. When we bought ours the condition was something like 60 days to complete. It took much longer than that in the end but having paid to reserve the plot they are within their rights to sell it to someone else if they have them lined up for a quick purchase. They really don’t like chains on brand new houses.

The people you’re buying off might be getting cold feet because of the fact you need to sell 2 properties, and one of them looks like a nightmare. This could be the opening contact of them issuing a deadline of the fact they’re going to relist the house.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sounds abit fishy to me. 

I mean, I obviously hope their reason is genuine, but yeah such a quick deadline is a massive pause for thought. Fingers crossed for you

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Having bought a new build I found that they are extremely pushy to complete quickly. They will no doubt be telling the people you’re buying from that they have x days to exchange otherwise they’ll either remove any incentives they’ve offered them or sell it to someone else. When we bought ours the condition was something like 60 days to complete. It took much longer than that in the end but having paid to reserve the plot they are within their rights to sell it to someone else if they have them lined up for a quick purchase. They really don’t like chains on brand new houses.

The people you’re buying off might be getting cold feet because of the fact you need to sell 2 properties, and one of them looks like a nightmare. This could be the opening contact of them issuing a deadline of the fact they’re going to relist the house.

Its only one property in our chain my missus. 

She has a buyer and its ready to complete the issue however is this tenant.  We gave them notice in april as their tenancy expired in july. But because of the eviction freeze its made it difficult to evict them. Tbf she seems like she wants to move but last few properties she has looked into have fallen through as the tenants at those places didnt leave. Its a vicious cycle.

The tenant has provided us evidence that she has paid a deposit to move into a property 24/10/20. So fingers crossed that will get.

I am suprised new builds are actually being that pushy considering we are in a pandemic.  Alot of people are having big delays and problems because of it.  If the sellers pull out and re advertise its going to take longer than the 24th so they are better sticking. I know they definitely want to move as they want to be closer to their family so i would be suprised if they take it iff market completely.

I must admit we made a massive mistake going for  a house while we had a tenant in. But we were very confident tenant was leaving in the summer. Just had some really bad luck

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am suprised new builds are actually being that pushy considering we are in a pandemic.  Alot of people are having big delays and problems because of it.  If the sellers pull out and re advertise its going to take longer than the 24th so they are better sticking. I know they definitely want to move as they want to be closer to their family so i would be suprised if they take it iff market completely.

There’s a lot of demand for new builds and so they can afford to choosey. Remember cash flow is critical for them, they need the sale money to keep the bricks going down elsewhere.

They take money from the buyer to reserve the plot, maybe they knock a bit off the price or give free upgrades but it’s on the condition of quick completion (maybe 60 days). Then when it’s taking a bit of time the pressure an fear of it collapsing becomes high. 

Do you have proof that your tennant has put a deposit down to move out on the 24th October? I’d be wanting to check everything. 

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What exactly do they plan to do if you don't?

I'd politely point out to them, that sticking with your original time frame is going to still be a lot quicker than starting from scratch with a new buyer.

As others have said, the pushyness will be from the onward developer, not the agent. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s a lot of demand for new builds and so they can afford to choosey. Remember cash flow is critical for them, they need the sale money to keep the bricks going down elsewhere.

They take money from the buyer to reserve the plot, maybe they knock a bit off the price or give free upgrades but it’s on the condition of quick completion (maybe 60 days). Then when it’s taking a bit of time the pressure an fear of it collapsing becomes high. 

Do you have proof that your tennant has put a deposit down to move out on the 24th October? I’d be wanting to check everything. 

Thanks for explaining the process as i have never purchased a new build. Didnt realise they want it completed this quickly. Not sure why our sellers went for a property to be completed in 60 days as we told them the situation.

They told us they could move in with their daughter if we wanted in earlier.

Yes she sent us a screenshot of the paperwork signed signature with all the information taht confirmed a deposit. She paid over 2k so really she wont want to lose that if she pulls out. Its if the tenant living there dont leave when he is suppose to. What a nightmare this is

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

What exactly do they plan to do if you don't?

I'd politely point out to them, that sticking with your original time frame is going to still be a lot quicker than starting from scratch with a new buyer.

As others have said, the pushyness will be from the onward developer, not the agent. 

Yeah exactly. Believe me this agent is very pushy as well. I have to say a very unpleasant individual who i hope i never have to deal with again. 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

That's the full check. there's a free one half way down just for that basic info :) 

Cheers!

That confirms the same as Rightmove. They don't appear to have been sold.

It's crossed our mind to write to the homeowner and ask if they're still interested in selling. perhaps even suggest doing it privately so they don't have to pay estate agent fees.

Is that the done thing? Or would that be seen as a bit dodgy?

We would hate to go for a different house and then spot this one was back on the market a month later.

(that's question for everyone, not just you Davkaus :) )

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Cheers!

That confirms the same as Rightmove. They don't appear to have been sold.

It's crossed our mind to write to the homeowner and ask if they're still interested in selling. perhaps even suggest doing it privately so they don't have to pay estate agent fees.

Is that the done thing? Or would that be seen as a bit dodgy?

We would hate to go for a different house and then spot this one was back on the market a month later.

(that's question for everyone, not just you Davkaus :) )

I wouldn’t want to buy something without an agent. I think if they had a buyer (you) lined up they could get an extremely low fee agent to manage it to completion. Something like £800/£900 or even much less but it’s far safer and easier to have them as intermediaries. It would be money well spent.

As a starter I’d pop a note through the door saying you were interested previously and if they are still thinking of selling to give you a call. 

• Like 1

Â