Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

On 15/03/2021 at 14:05, MotoMkali said:

Look you have to play it like that. There is probably about a foot for margin of error on these balls otherwise it goes too high and sails over the box or the keeper catches it. Or you hit the first man. Hitting the first man is better because if your team plans well you can have a person attack the front post to either knock it on or glance it into the net like we have done several times this and last season. Hell hourihane hit the first man about half the time. It looks bad but is necessary. 

It's no surprise you are so against Dean Smith when you are this lenient to players being unable to cross. It's all on the manager and the players arent to blame.

27 minutes ago, T2CSCFC said:

Hourihane has been an unmitigated disaster for us (Swansea) and that view is almost universally held now

I've never seen a pro footballer who can't even run let alone tackle. Since he's come in he's completely unbalanced the side and lost all energy or zip. His close control is very poor and he hides every game. The odd free kick doesn't go anywhere near enough to compensate for all that.

Also think he didn't fancy it one bit v Cardiff and couldn't wait to get off. Please take him back.

The Simpsons | The simpsons, Simpsons characters, Simpson

47 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Thanks for the feedback. Which I'm not surprised by. He was a fantastic pro for us, but definitely would go missing in games and didn't have the legs for high energy.

It's not a shock that a few on this forum have been trying to say Conor should still be here because he can do a job. 

Genuinely hope Swansea come up, have a bit of a soft spot for them and was actually at the Johnstone paint final (equivalent sponsor) from that year, when they beat Carlisle (I think) 1-0 and Trundle scored a worldie volley at the millennium stadium. The Swansea fans I was with made a huge thing about it being in Cardiff too which was fun!

Yeah, 2-1 it was, great day and always "fun" to go to Cardiff with 30,000 😉 Bayo scored the winner for us late on. 

I have read a bit on Hourihane on here and other Villa sites and I can't get my head around anyone thinking he can do a job in the Premier League. He'd get eaten alive. I'm very interested how you made him work in the Championship in 18/19 as he played a lot of games for you. I suppose you did have Grealish and Mcginn around him who are ridiculous at that level. Here's a Swans thread on him and he still has the odd support but some fans will blindly support anything Cooper does (but he's another one that's killed our football) - https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/270259/hourihane/#83

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T2CSCFC said:

I have read a bit on Hourihane on here and other Villa sites and I can't get my head around anyone thinking he can do a job in the Premier League. He'd get eaten alive. I'm very interested how you made him work in the Championship in 18/19 as he played a lot of games for you. I suppose you did have Grealish and Mcginn around him who are ridiculous at that level. 

There's a bizarre affection for him on here because his stats (goals/assists) are better than you might expect. In open play the game passes him by and he offers virtually nothing. It's been the same throughout his Villa career. I've never understood the praise he has received, he's rubbish. Even now people see him scoring for swansea and assume he's tearing it up in the championship. Watch him play for 90 minutes, not the 30 second clip of him taking a free kick and any one can see he's not good at all. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, T2CSCFC said:

Yeah, 2-1 it was, great day and always "fun" to go to Cardiff with 30,000 😉 Bayo scored the winner for us late on. 

I have read a bit on Hourihane on here and other Villa sites and I can't get my head around anyone thinking he can do a job in the Premier League. He'd get eaten alive. I'm very interested how you made him work in the Championship in 18/19 as he played a lot of games for you. I suppose you did have Grealish and Mcginn around him who are ridiculous at that level. Here's a Swans thread on him and he still has the odd support but some fans will blindly support anything Cooper does (but he's another one that's killed our football) - https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/270259/hourihane/#83

dont forget 

2.500 Glenn Whelan Bilder und Fotos - Getty Images

• Like 2

Yeah, he's got the odd one or two that only see his goals/assists and hey, they aren't to be sniffed at at any level, but here's some other stats in relation to Hourihane. 

24 games before Hourihane we'd conceded 14 goals

13 games since Hourihane we've conceded 16 goals

Hourihane is a 'Championship cheat code' until you actually watch him play and realise he does nothing.

Memories of the 5-5 and him just getting waltzed past. Also his classic sprints  to a man on the ball stand 5 yards off him , give him half hour and watch him ping it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, T2CSCFC said:

Hourihane has been an unmitigated disaster for us (Swansea) and that view is almost universally held now

I've never seen a pro footballer who can't even run let alone tackle. Since he's come in he's completely unbalanced the side and lost all energy or zip. His close control is very poor and he hides every game. The odd free kick doesn't go anywhere near enough to compensate for all that.

Also think he didn't fancy it one bit v Cardiff and couldn't wait to get off. Please take him back.

why do you think we loaned him out?......He does what he does, but he has a wand of a left peg and he dines out on it.....He is a limited player, who knows what he is good at and what he is not good at, he leaves to others.

In the championship, you can get away with being limited, to a degree....In the Prem, you get found out, because you have to have enough competencies to compete.

On 23/03/2021 at 10:12, Mjvilla said:

It's no surprise you are so against Dean Smith when you are this lenient to players being unable to cross. It's all on the manager and the players arent to blame.

What do you mean? I'm against his lack of substitutes and rotations and insistence of playing McGinn with no rest and prior to him an injured barkley. That's it I would prefer to play a more attacking style as well but at the minute without jack that is a non-starter. 

But yes when there is an issue with a team in regards to defence and keeping possession it is mainly on the manager not the players. Because we couldn't defend to save our life before restart lasts season and then we were one of the best defensive teams. Which is both an incredibly impressive turnaround and an indictment of the system that we were previously using. 

It is just a fact in regards to corners and free kicks. It you watch other teams. You will see it isn't just us who hit the first man.

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

What do you mean? I'm against his lack of substitutes and rotations and insistence of playing McGinn with no rest and prior to him an injured barkley. That's it I would prefer to play a more attacking style as well but at the minute without jack that is a non-starter. 

But yes when there is an issue with a team in regards to defence and keeping possession it is mainly on the manager not the players. Because we couldn't defend to save our life before restart lasts season and then we were one of the best defensive teams. Which is both an incredibly impressive turnaround and an indictment of the system that we were previously using. 

It is just a fact in regards to corners and free kicks. It you watch other teams. You will see it isn't just us who hit the first man.

If you go back to the original post I made, this is a point I made. It's not a dig at villa, it's at footballers in general. I think they should be better at taking them in general.

The rest is going away from what I said and I have talked about these subjects enough, to warrant not doing so again.

On 23/03/2021 at 09:50, T2CSCFC said:

Well you will obviously have been watching him more closely since he’s in your team now so I won’t comment on whether his 5 goals in 12 games is a decent return or not.

But I am interested to know, when you say it’s an almost universally held view that he’s been an unmitigated disaster, does that include your manager, since in public at least he still seems to be counting Conor very much in his forward plans?

Also, didn’t Conor suffer a hamstring injury against Cardiff, which has kept him out of the RoI squad? Maybe a little bit harsh to suggest he was faking?

Edited by briny_ear

On 23/03/2021 at 06:59, T2CSCFC said:

And he routinely did. Sometimes I feel like people are watching a different sport than me or even at all, and just look at the stats. There's no way you can watch Conor for the past 4 years and conclude that he can do a job in the PL. 

On 23/03/2021 at 05:50, T2CSCFC said:

He's a great barometer of who understands what's happening in a game of football.

Can the goals and assists be disregarded? The reality is his presence costs the team more points than he wins. It's tough to accept and some just find it too hard.

There was Villa fans last season saying he was of more use than Grealish. There's Villa fans this season saying he's of more use than McGinn and Barkley.

Never known such a soft player give it the big licks he does in interviews as well. I find it fairly annoying reading him preach this and that when I've watched him bottle tackle after tackle and hide away from the ball unless it's in the opposition box week after week.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's a great barometer of who understands what's happening in a game of football.

Can the goals and assists be disregarded? The reality is his presence costs the team more points than he wins. It's tough to accept and some just find it too hard.

There was Villa fans last season saying he was of more use than Grealish. There's Villa fans this season saying he's of more use than McGinn and Barkley.

Never known such a soft player give it the big licks he does in interviews as well. I find it fairly annoying reading him preach this and that when I've watched him bottle tackle after tackle and hide away from the ball unless it's in the opposition box week after week.

Agree with this....

... except the bit about Barkley. Ross has contributed so little since his injury that I actually think Hourihane would be better.

Neither of them should ever start, though.

• Like 1

In the thirteen games that Hourihane has played for Swansea they've taken twenty-three points, in the thirteen games before he joined them they took twenty-seven points.

so it's not as if they've had a massive drop off in form with him in the side, who's to say their form wouldn't have dropped off even more if they hadn't have signed him.

At the start of the season they also took twenty-three points from their first thirteen games, so with him in the side they've been going along more or less pretty much as they have been all season, in fact they've average slightly more points per game since they signed Hourihane than they did for the rest of the season previous to signing him.

He's already their third top goal score having played less than half the amount of games than most of their other players

Edited by useless

I think that, to get anything out of Conor, you have to build your midfield around him.  He can play as the sitting midfielder BUT only if he has two strong 8's alongside him to provide the legs.  I think this is what he did at Barnsley before we signed him.  I also think he could play at 10 with two sitters behind him - he has the attacking threat and left foot to prosper in that role.  I was at the game where he scored the hat trick v Norwich playing of Davis and he did well that day.  He doesn't have the energy or dynamism to play at 8 in the premiership or championship imho.

I see him as a championship player BUT I would probably have him as a 10 in front of Barkley at the minute given the latter's shocking run of form and inability to carry the ball like he did when he first came to VP.  At least CH is a goal threat! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I see him as a championship player BUT I would probably have him as a 10 in front of Barkley at the minute .....

In fairness, I'd have my neighbour's gerbil ahead of Barkley at the moment ..... and that died about six weeks ago !

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Agree with this....

... except the bit about Barkley. Ross has contributed so little since his injury that I actually think Hourihane would be better.

Neither of them should ever start, though.

Barkley has been a disgrace in his last 8 apps or so, yep.

Â