Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Why did we break the bank on 3 different strikers and then scrimp on 2 young keepers? I just don't get the logic, it doesn't ever seemed to have been explained why Bruce and co. decided to go with Johnstone 

5 million for a goalkeeper at this level is breaking the bank. just we never bought a good one

He's an odd one. I don't rate him and his league form has mostly been poor. But he was superb against Spurs. Not just as a shot stopper, he was quite commanding too. Add that to the fact United seem to see something in him, is there a decent keeper in there? 

Maybe it's a confidence thing. Who knows. Hopefully back to back clean sheets give him a bit more belief in himself. 

• Like 1

I hope he can regain some sort of confidence until the end of the season, purely for the rest of the team's sake, and ours. 

Then we need to send him back to united and demand a full apology. Maybe they can loan Ashley Young to us as a goodwill gesture. 

I actually thought he did pretty well against Bristol the other day. Didn't make any big mistakes for me and was a good save from the header. Two decent games for me and hopefully he can push on. 

I actually feel a bit sorry for him when it comes to kicking. He's not really got a target to aim at up there as Kodjia just isn't interested in the physical battle most of the time. He couldn't really give it short as Bristol were pressing pretty high up against our defenders who aren't very good on the ball. I thought he targeted Adomah who actually was winning a few aerial battles against his full back. Yes a couple of times he kicked straight out but if your right winger is your best bet in the aerial battle that's probably inevitable.

As an aside I wonder if it'd be worth pushing Jedinak slightly higher up to contest the headers from his goal kicks. We could easily move another midfielder back to cover temporarily and he seems our best bet at winning anything.

• Like 1

Yeah, he definitely looked more comfortable against Bristol to me. And once we started mixing up the distribution in the second half (i.e.. stopped always lumping it straight to their defenders) we grew into the game. 

However, I still don't approve of getting in a Man U reserve keeper regardless. Does nothing to help the future stability of this club and in fact will just introduce further uncertainty and upheaval in the summer when we'll have to get yet another keeper in. The management should really offer an explanation for this IMO (because for all we know there may be a very good one).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, he definitely looked more comfortable against Bristol to me. And once we started mixing up the distribution in the second half (i.e.. stopped always lumping it straight to their defenders) we grew into the game. 

However, I still don't approve of getting in a Man U reserve keeper regardless. Does nothing to help the future stability of this club and in fact will just introduce further uncertainty and upheaval in the summer when we'll have to get yet another keeper in. The management should really offer an explanation for this IMO (because for all we know there may be a very good one).

I think Gollini's interview after leaving made it pretty clear that he didn't want to be here. After that, I suppose it's difficult to know how many options we had before signing Johnstone. I'm still hoping he continues to improve and puts himself into contention to be signed permanently. He's not a keeper that I don't see potential in but its taking him some time to get over a few big mistakes. The fact that we're playing a bit better as a team now can only help relieve some of the pressure from him.

51 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I hope he can regain some sort of confidence until the end of the season, purely for the rest of the team's sake, and ours. 

Then we need to send him back to united and demand a full apology. Maybe they can loan Ashley Young to us as a goodwill gesture. 

As if United would do us any favours they like running us. We are not even in the same league and they still manage to screw us by loaning us a hopeless keeper! Thank God it was not permenent 

The problem is that he has already been labelled as shit on here after two or three games. He could keep clean sheets for the rest of the season and get no credit from some on here, it would be down to the defence in front of him. If Bunn is as bad as people say and offers no real alternative why don't we just get behind him regardless of any mistakes he might make ? I doubt he goes onto the pitch trying to make them. Perhaps with a bit of confidence we might see the potential realised that Man Utd saw when they signed him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, smg said:

The problem is that he has already been labelled as shit on here after two or three games. He could keep clean sheets for the rest of the season and get no credit from some on here, it would be down to the defence in front of him. If Bunn is as bad as people say and offers no real alternative why don't we just get behind him regardless of any mistakes he might make ? I doubt he goes onto the pitch trying to make them. Perhaps with a bit of confidence we might see the potential realised that Man Utd saw when they signed him.

Yeah he can't really win now. Even when he makes a good punch now it's "Why didn't he catch it?" The good saves he's made recently are just ignored. He doesn't come for a ball that he's never going to get and the crowd get edgy. The edginess of the crowd won't help him either. Feels a bit like Guzan in his last year. Once the crowd are decided on a keeper it makes his job infinitely harder with the edgy atmosphere it creates. Now obviously this is partly his fault for the big mistakes he did make in a few games but now it feels like a vicious circle which he's going to really struggle to get out of.

I think hes done well in the last 2 or 3 games considering this and would like to see him given some kind of support.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smg said:

To be fair "we" didn't even do that with the keeper (Gollini) we own, so why would they support giving Man U's keeper the confidence to go on and be great for another team? i know the obvious is so he performs for us till the end of the season, but I hate these types of loan agreements.

Not saying I agree, just saying.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair "we" didn't even do that with the keeper (Gollini) we own, so why would they support giving Man U's keeper the confidence to go on and be great for another team? i know the obvious is so he performs for us till the end of the season, but I hate these types of loan agreements.

Not saying I agree, just saying.

The answer is even more obvious than that - he's wearing the shirt. 

• Like 3

There is no way Utd will have him as no 1 they will always buy whoever is flavour of the month when they need to. We should help build his confidence to benefit us in the short term and look at the long term later.

He is still an improvement on Guzan, but that is not saying much.

A cocker spaniel tethered to a leash in the goal posts would still be better than Guzan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ said:

He is still an improvement on Guzan, but that is not saying much.

A cocker spaniel tethered to a leash in the goal posts would still be better than Guzan.

You mean Guzan the keeper who plays for a Premier League club? 

I fail to see how Sam is an improvement on Guzan. Both have terrible distribution and both concede sloppy goals. 

Edited by Czechlad

16 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I fail to see how Sam is an improvement on Guzan. Both have terrible distribution and both concede sloppy goals. 

Well for a start, he's not Guzan! Secondly.... yeah you might have a point there actually. 

16 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Well for a start, he's not Guzan! Secondly.... yeah you might have a point there actually. 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Guzan is a back-up for a Premier League club and he wont be for much longer since he has agreed to join Atlanta 

Â