Top Gear

Jez

I suppose Clarkson could stand as a candidate for Labour.

When Prescott punched a member of the public he kept his job and I can't remember any outraged Lefties demanding his head.

:D

ah but he was defending himself so that's OK , everyone knows the correct response to be pelted with an egg is to street brawl like a striking miner   .... Brown's persistent  bullying his staff ( and pushing one out of a chair )  would have been a better example as that was a reoccurring and unprovoked  theme

• Like 1

What's the betting that Top Gear will basically end up on another channel with the same 3 hosts just under a different programme title.

The betting is pretty good that it will appear on another channel that I don't have, and I won't even be able to watch it, so I can say how bad it is. 

Was wondering who owns the right to The Stig  and the track they use .. the theme tune presumably could be used by any new show unless the BBC / Allman brothers signed some form of exclusivity deal  ?

If the BBC didn't already exist, it would have to be invented; how else could the government get the population to actually pay for its own indoctrination?

Sectarian schools.

• Like 2

One of the funniest things they ever did-

I actually think it was around this point I started to find the three of them unwatchable

What a load of contrived shite.

None of that was "real".

At the time it was hilarious.

But this was literally the episode that made me think "This isn't real, is it?"

Up until then I'd been happily believing that it was all real.

Looking back at that and knowing that it's all scripted means it's nowhere near as funny.

But at the time I, and I would assume a lot of others, still believed that Top gear was unscripted (for those kind of segments anyway)

• Like 1

Top Gear as we know it is dead. I watched it. I enjoyed (mostly) it - but it is no more. It might not be a bad thing as a re-tune to more of a consumer motoring show would be more useful to more people - but far less entertaining.

Expect "Full Throttle" to appear on a commercial broadcaster near you in the not too distant future - or if you really fancy a punt - Netflix will chuck money at it.

One of the funniest things they ever did-

I actually think it was around this point I started to find the three of them unwatchable

What a load of contrived shite.

None of that was "real".

At the time it was hilarious.

But this was literally the episode that made me think "This isn't real, is it?"

Up until then I'd been happily believing that it was all real.

Looking back at that and knowing that it's all scripted means it's nowhere near as funny.

But at the time I, and I would assume a lot of others, still believed that Top gear was unscripted (for those kind of segments anyway)

I thought they had acknowledged previously when they mocked some award they were nominated for  , "best unscripted TV show " ( or something ) , that their antics and the show were pre-planned .

The cow on his car in that episode made me howl with laughter , but we all kinda know that he didn't just find a dead cow by the side of the road and then lift it up onto his car without the aid of a forklift truck or crane

to be on a TV show without being blurred out you have to sign countless documents of consent so the hicks were clearly agreeable, maybe even paid ..in much the same way when Borat abducted Pamela Anderson

They probably had, but I wasn't aware of it.

I'm sure if you'd bothered to look it would have been clearly evident that it was all made up. But why would I do that?

And I imagine my view on it was reflected by many others.

There wont be any winners in this, worldwide people expect top gear the name and the three presenters, without that people wont watch in the same numbers. Taking it to sky or ITV, they can throw money at it but they wont get the viewers and they wont get the world wide cash cow as they wont have the name.

I think they should just draw a line under it and move on with their lives (the presenters, that is).

The last couple of years have been well below the earlier standard. Even the Christmas special was not deemed good enough for a Christmas slot last year. They're out of ideas and have been for a while. I'd generally much prefer to watch an old repeat on Dave than a new episode on the BBC of late.

Any re-branding on a different station will only demonstrate this further. They'd have to come up with a pretty impressive new angle to make it work for me.

What about James May and Hammonds lucrative other BBC shows? If they flounce off with their ball, wont they just get Guy Martin in to do James May builds things and Richard Hammond does whatever Richard Hammond does. I would actually watch it if they brought him in.

• Like 1

I find it funny a lot of people think this will be the death of the BBC  :lol:

Absolutely no way.

If the BBC didn't already exist, it would have to be invented; how else could the government get the population to actually pay for its own indoctrination?

because we can rely on privately funded newscorporations to be entirely impartial and fairminded in the dissemination of the news service?

• Like 1

What about James May and Hammonds lucrative other BBC shows? If they flounce off with their ball, wont they just get Guy Martin in to do James May builds things and Richard Hammond does whatever Richard Hammond does. I would actually watch it if they brought him in.

wouldn't it then have to be called " James May doesn't build things but Guy Martin does " ?

• Like 1

I find it funny a lot of people think this will be the death of the BBC  :lol:

Absolutely no way.

because we can rely on privately funded newscorporations to be entirely impartial and fairminded in the dissemination of the news service?

The BBC's influence is definitely in decline.

Although BBC1 is still the most viewed channel, the average viewer only watches 6 hours a week out of the 28 hours TV they watch on average (21%).